Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Celebrate Banned Books Week! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Celebrate Banned Books Week!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm suprised more liberal organizations/parents haven't tried to ban Kurt Vonnegut's 'Harrison Bergeron,' though.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...Flowers for Algernon is a SF story.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even More Harry Potter Fun. http://www.thestar.com/thestar/back_issues/ED20000920/toronto/20000920NEW03b_CI-POTTER.html

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: Really? I thought it was about some mentally challenged kid and his mouse. Maybe I heard wrong...

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's correct, in the same sense that Back to the Future is about a teenage kid and a scientist.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I now believe I have found a doorway between the two realities. I can cross back and forth at will. I'm not sure what this means, but I intend to explore alternate Earths until I start to suck a lot and get canceled." - Simon Sizer

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read the short story "Flowers for Algernon," which eventually became the book in an old "Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine." I thought it was pretty good.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it won a Nebula. Or a Hugo. Er...one of the two. I could look, but I'm too lazy.

Oh, all right.

The novel won the Nebula in 1966.

The short story won the Hugo in 1960.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited September 22, 2000).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And a dog! Two even...

Hmm: "Because you're the minority doesn't mean you shouldn't be heard."

Nice argument. Of course, paedophiles could use the same argument. As could Modern Jazz performers. Both should be locked away for a very long time. Along with some who could actually say "``I do believe witchcraft, sorcery, wizardry - any of that - is of the devil, it's from Satan," while keeping a straight face. Notice the use of the key phrase "any of that", translating to "anything I don't understand. Like gravity", and the fact that she's nice enough to explain that the devil is also known in some circles as Satan. Thanks for clearing that up Karen.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dog comment relates to "Back to the future" BTW, and is not a slur on the Hugos. *cough*

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps