Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I didn't ask for this. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I didn't ask for this.
LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to vent, and so here it goes:

On Sept 29th, I was yielding to traffic at an intersection when two cars collided in the intersection and the force of their impact brought them both sailing into me. Both cars were significantly larger than my Civic, and the damage to my car was over $4,000. I was completely not at fault. The two cars that hit me were both at least partially at fault. The lady in the Caddy blew a yield, and the man in the moving truck was speeding.

Sitting in my car, I saw the accident coming, and was even able to comment on it before the first car hit. There were two impacts. First the Caddy hitting my car, then the moving truck hitting the caddy, forcing it more into my car. Full impact was on the driver's side door, where I was sitting, and truthfully, I was probably lucky to have been alive at that point.

Now though, almost 2 weeks later, I'm wondering for the first time in my life, Why Me? Though originally my passesnger and I each thought we were free of injuries, we weren't. My spine is so screwed up that the sight of my x-rays a few days after the accident literally made me sick to my stomach. I'm in constant and excruciating pain. I have to take pills at night to make it so I can sleep, and even then I still wake up because I hurt so bad. Every single day for the last 2 weeks, I've had at least one dr. appt, trying to fix me, and I've been told that it's going to be about a 7.5 month recovery process before I'm okay again.

My passenger, Lacey, screwed up her neck pretty bad, and so every day I'm taking HER to the doctor, too. Luckily the damage was localized so her recovery time will be shorter than mine, but still....

I've lost wages. A lot of them. My hours have been cut, and when I AM at work, my duties have been so restricted that I may as well NOT come in. I'm paying out of my pocket for the meds Lacey and I are supposed to take, because neither of us have medical insurance, and though that money will come back to me later, that doesn't help me much now. The bills are piling up, and I have no source to pull the money from to pay them...

All of this, and for what reason? I never asked for it, and I can't say I want it....

State Farm, the insurance company that hould be responsible for all my damages, is fighting as hard as they can to get out of it, and they're trying to pull fast ones over on me and Lacey every chance they get. Why wouldn't they? We're a pair of teenage girls with no family or adult backing.... we're easy targets, right? It just pisses me off... and I have so much stuff to take care of that I don't even have time to figure out what to DO, and so now, as bills are piling up, the pain is still intensifying, and my stress level is getting to it's ultimate peak, I just bring this to you and lay it out because I needed to get it ALL off of my chest before I finally lose it with everyone around me......

It'll get better, I know it will, but it shouldn't even HAVE to. This never should have gotten to this point. And it did. And there's not a single thing I can do about it...... and that, I think, is what hurts me the most.....

~LOA

------------------
The greatest single cause of Athiesm in the world today is Christians who acknowledge things with their lips and walk out the door and deny them by their lifestyle. THAT is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OW.

*shameless plug for little brother's profession*
I might reccomend trying to see a chiropractor, if you haven't already. Although I don't think pain medication is necesarily a bad thing, it won't straighten your back, neither will it get better on its own.

Don't sign anything. (Hope you haven't already) Personally, after something like that, I'd contact a personal injury lawyer, and sue the pants off of both irresponsible drivers AND State Farm. If it all occurred as you state, I don't see how you couldn't have a case. Just remember to ask for at least double what you'll actually need, since lawyers' fees and company dickering will whittle it back down anyway.

Remember: "The line must be drawn HERE! And I will make them PAY for what they've done!"

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better go for triple.
Federal Taxes are 28%
WA State Taxes ???
and a lawyer usually takes 33%.
Also consider long term problems...
My ex-wife had an accident before we got together, and her back couldn't take much at all...
Our child caused her bad back pains from conception onwards....
Plan for that, take it in to consideration when you talk with an attorney.
I hope the pains and problems you are having now don't cause you to take a quick return on something that you may need for the rest of your life. My sister-in-law and nephew has "for life" medical coverage for and accident in 1990, covering any and all problems associated with their accident, physical and mental.
Good luck you to LOA.

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz...

First off...

*HUG*

Secondly, you're right. You don't deserve this, and it's probably the last thing you need. But it happened, there IS a reason for it. You know that better than I do. It may take years to see it, but you will eventually.

Third, what difference does it really make why it happened? It happened. Will knowing the reason change anything? Probably not. Just do what you always do. The only thing you can: trust in God and do what's right. Know that He loves you, and that we do, too.

And finally, First is right. Again. Sue the PANTS off of them! Let's see: eight months of lost wages, plus $4,000 damage, plus medical bills, multiplied by, say, four, to cover lawyers and taxes. And if you get more than you feel you deserve, donate it to your church or something.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question: where's your family in all this?

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her family doesn't really care to acknowledge her existence, from my understanding...

And don't anybody beat themselves up trying to come up w/ a "reason". Take it from Forrest Gump: Shit happens. There's nothing you can do about it. Better to just accept it, and get on w/ things. Less stress that way...

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn. Do what First said and sue for all you can get.
I'd get a lawyer asap too.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Family? Not a chance in the world..... I was "disowned" a while back. I am in on this 100% on my own. Sure, I have SOME people around me that I can ask advice from, but really, the advice does me no good, and the people aren't around quite like I need them to be. At 19 years old, I've had to grow up pretty fast this year. I'm learning a lot of things and I'm learning them quickly.

Getting a lawyer is such a huge thing to do. I so wish I could just not do it.... I still have this thing about being nice to people and giving them the benifit of the doubt. It kills me to have to do something like that, because I know that I'll just be hurting another person's life..... that's hard for me to do....

But I'm done questioning "why me?"... I've never been one to wallow in self pity....I think the pain was just messing with my mind earlier. When I hurt, my emotions are the first to go. I've satisfied myself with this again.... as my "big brother" Billy said to me today (and as I've been told many times in the past), whatever it is, I'm being prepared for something BIG... all that happens in my life right now is just perparing me for my future. Whether that's something to look forward to, I don't know for sure, but I'm content knowing that this is all for a reason, no less.

Now if only the pain would go away.... it's getting old so quickly..... and I'm getting cranky. Pleh.

~LOA

------------------
The greatest single cause of Athiesm in the world today is Christians who acknowledge things with their lips and walk out the door and deny them by their lifestyle. THAT is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz, getting a lawyer may be a huge thing to do, but it is necessary. I'm sorry, but not taking legal counsel when you're getting the run-around is not very bright. Get yourself a lawyer, and use him to crawl right up their asses for the money. It may not make the pain go away, but at least you can make your life a little easier.

------------------
Intelligence, Integrity, Responsibility.
Vote Bush/Cheney 2000

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just ask yourself, Liz: is getting the money you deserve worth the trouble? I should hope that that's a stupid question.

"I'm getting cranky."

Oh, NO! Everyone, RUN!

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've tried a chiropractor then I recommend acupuncture, works wonders.
Be well.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever heard of laughter therapy?

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suing is only a bad thing when you get greedy and start asking for money that's just going to be, basically, profit. When you make someone pay you because they've totally fucked you over, it's perfectly fine. If you don't do it, it's just uneccesarily punishing yourself.

Have we got any lawyers on the Forums who are willing to go to Spokane and give Liz inexpensive legal representation? :-)

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

Omega
Member # 91

Heck, that sounds like a case I could win. How hard could it be? I mean, you can proove that the drivers owe her. Whether their insurance companies pay them is between them and their companies, and shouldn't involve Liz in any way.

------------------
- George Bernard Shaw

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sincerest sympathies for your problems. As a bicyclist who puts up with psychotic drivers talking on cell phones but not watching the road, driving on MY bike lane, etc., - oh, and being forced off my bike and crashing because of them, I can relate.

I agree with the prior poster who recommended that you contact a lawyer, but remember to read your policy very carefully. Some insurance policies have clauses restricting your ability to sue or appeal their decisions. Some require you to submit to arbitration prior to any legal action is initiated. If you act outside of the policy, your insurance carrier *could* just possibly terminate certain coverages. Talk to a lawyer to learn your rights, but not necessarily to sue right off the bat.

On the other hand, an insurance carrier that commits bad faith is usually liable for large damages in court - if you can afford to sue for years on end. At any rate, fight for your rights under the policy.

Keep your options open, and recover soon. Oh, did the police cite the other drivers for their reckless driving and speeding? They should have.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps