Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Count every vote? Okay... NYAH! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Count every vote? Okay... NYAH!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

***Lifted directly from the Sunday edition of the Palm Beach Post.***

News
Sunday, January 14
Miami-Dade ballot recount
By Clay Lambert and Bill Douthat, Palm Beach Post Staff Writers
Sunday, January 14, 2001

"MIAMI -- George W. Bush would have gained six votes more than Al Gore if all the dimples and hanging chads on 10,600 previously uncounted ballots in Miami-Dade County had been included in the totals, according to a review by The Palm Beach Post.

That result would have been a hard blow to Al Gore's hopes of claiming the presidency in a recount. Before the vice president conceded last month, the Gore camp had expected to pick up as many as 600 votes from a Miami-Dade recount -- barely enough to overtake Bush's
razor-thin Florida lead. Instead, The Post's review indicates Gore would have lost ground.

If everything were counted -- from the faintest dimple to chads barely hanging on ballots -- 251 additional votes would have gone to Bush and 245 more would have gone to Gore, The Post review showed."

So, Supreme Court or no Supreme Court... the people have spoken.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's all anyone wanted. What bothers me was why the Republicans couldn't wait for a vote. They could've avoided all this.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they didn't have to. According to the FL election rules, the election was over, the votes had been tabulated, and the time for recounts had passed.

That the Democrats wanted to violate the 14th amendment, (That's what the Supreme Court Ruled, 7-2) and conduct special mini-recounts, was beside the point.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically, all the recounts would have done was waste time, waste tax money (that's YOUR money, for any Floridians among us), and, as they would have served no legal purpose, simply have hurt the country. So thus, in response to those who wonder why the GOP wanted to stop the recounts: what possible good could have come from their proceeding?

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if the roles were reversed??

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peace of mind?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peace of mind from what? Bush would be president either way. The only reason it'd be required for your peace of mind would be if you had let yourself get excited over something that would make no difference either way.

As for the roles being reversed, Ritten, they have been. 1960. Nixon backed down, when he likely could have proven that JFK stole the election from him.

------------------
"Still one thing more fellow-citizens--A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government..."
-Thomas Jefferson

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I promised myself not to get involved in any more election year disputes, but as has been stated previously the roles were reversed. Kennedy and Johnson did steal the election from Nixon. Let's see... dead people voting in Texas, and all of them for the Kennedy/Johnson ticket (ever wonder why they called him "Landslide Lyndon?"), ballot boxes from Republican precincts in Chicago "accidentally" winding up in the river, and so on.

In other words, there have been plenty of election year shenanigans from BOTH major political parties to go around, so the Democrats certainly shouldn't be crying foul now. Having said that, Nixon DID NOT go quietly into the night after the 1960 election. His party hacks worked furiously behind the scenes to challenge the legality of the election. To his credit, he didn't do it as publicly and painfully as the current Democratic Party did, but the truth is there. There are several wonderfully researched, credible college level texts dealing with the election that clearly spell this out, in excellent detail.

I'm not terribly happy with Bush becoming our next president, but that is the reality of the situation, so we're just going to have to deal with it.

------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Moot files of the Kangaroo Court.

Oh, and the Grand Opressive Party wanted to stop the recounts because they were leading and continuing would have risked that lead. And why risk the risk when one can just stop the count.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why stop doing something illegal as long as it doesn't hurt anybody?

------------------
"You must give in to tock." - The First One

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevermind, the point is moot, and, since I am a moderate, screw it. If Bush, Jr. flops, things can be fixed in '04, if he doesn't, well, then the next team gets to try in '08. I just hope my gut feeling about Bush is wrong, but.....

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, since when is asking for a recount illegal?

Second off, well the phrasing of that question opens the door to all sorts of what ifs now doesn't it JR?

Third off, your guts have no place here Ritten.

------------------
Oh, yes, sitting. The great leveler. From the mightiest Pharaoh to the lowliest peasant, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Sorry for making the mess, I seem to have gotten it all over the logic here.....

------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I was kidding...I like your guts. Really.

------------------
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, I like your guts too, Ritten, although, I must say, they're usually not splattered over my shoes ... dammit ... ::cleaning::

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps