Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Count every vote? Okay... NYAH! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Count every vote? Okay... NYAH!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"First off, since when is asking for a recount illegal?"

Go read the 7-2 decision. That'll tell you.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello silly person, the illegality would rest in the count continuing after the Hall of Doom, er, Supreme Court had ruled that it could not go on. So DUH, asking for the recount is NOT illegal.

Gore to the Florida Court: "I say old bean, mind if we recount?"

Florida Court: "Recount you say?"

Gore: "Oh dear yes, we believe that there are some irregularities in the previous count and want to make sure that everything was on the up and up so that all votes get counted."

Florida Court: "Dear me, I don't see anything wrong...."

Bush: "STOP! Stop I say! I'm winning and see no need to recount the votes."

Hall of Doom, er Supreme Court: "We concure. Stop the recount. The franchise must be subordinate to Florida law. Afterall, you have no Constitutional right to vote for the President of the United State."

America: "Whoa, concept."

------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George Dubya Bush

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The franchise must be subordinate to Florida law.

Um, well... according to the constitution... it is.

The constitution would allow for the legislature, with NO popular vote at all, to name the electors. They could just as easily say, "OK, you have to stand on one foot to vote for president."

No, wait. That'd be discriminatory against those who don't have feet...

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean the Constitution or just any old constitution...maybe the constitution for the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks?

------------------
"We're just going to have a lot of work. ... Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 17, 2001).]

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
United States Constitution, Article II, Section 1.

"The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

The legislature gets to decide how electors are chosen, PERIOD. They could say that the state Comptroller gets to pick his however many closest relatives, and they'd get to be the electors, if they were so inclined.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Oh, ok, so you were talking about the Constitution. The one for the whole of the United States. That whole non caps thing just threw me right off.

Language is imprecise as you know.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited January 18, 2001).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In other words, you concede?

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes he does.

No he doesn't.

You don't have to get snippy.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Concede? Buh??? Concede what? My god what's with you people?

Apparently I'll have to keep my humor to 10 year old level.

------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here Jay, let me push this part of the other thread out of their way, so they don't trip and hurt themselves.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Constitution also says the VP should be elected separately, but apparently that doesn't count, either...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited January 18, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon, you were elected?

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

Omega
Member # 91

After a manner of speaking, the VP IS elected seperately. Each elector casts two votes, one for each office. It's just very rare that an elector will vote for people that run on different tickets.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::pictures ...

President George W. Bush

&

Vice-President Joe Lieberman ...::

ROFLMAO!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swore I wasn't going to post in the Flameboard as part of my New Year's resolution, but I've already violated that a few times. So anyway, I'll just note quickly and without judgement that having a seperately elected President and Vice-President would no longer work under the present political system. The Vice-President, once the most bored man in D.C., is now an intricate part of many administrations.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps