Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican
Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are stupid.

Pardon me for saying this, but I've been reading over some of the past flames, especially the political ones.

Abe Lincoln, while a Republican, was also a flaming liberal (big gov't over state gov't, remember -- Civil War wasn't just over slavery)

George Wallace (whatever his name is, you know, "segregation now, segregation tommorow, etc.) while a Democrat, was obviously a strict conservative.

Omega is correct in saying that more Republicans helped pass the 1964 Civil Rights act, but he is only telling half the truth as the Republican Party had, at the time, a sizeable liberal wing, and the Democrats had a sizeable conservative wing (the Southern Democrats). He also ignores that liberal Democrats voted for the bill, prefering to write his own version of history, but I'm sure Omega's black & white look at the world isn't a surprise to anyone here.

The point is ... liberal does not neccessarily mean democrat, and conservative doesn't mean republican, at least, not at all points in this nation's history, although the two parties are aligned on the liberal/conservative line more closely now than they have been in the past.

Please: discuss, flame, etcetra.

------------------

IP: Logged
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need to flame, this has been used often here by several members already. Thank you for pointing out the known though.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is why I try not to make "democrat" synonomous with "liberal" and "Republican" with "conservative." Republican and democrat are only party affiliations, whereas liberal and conservative are ideological mindsets.

------------------
"President Bush. It's fun saying that. Go ahead, you try." - M. Lucinsky, Spectrum Editor

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, it does seem that at this time they are such.

------------------

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, with the way certain conservative demagogs have literally re-written the history of the Republican party, you'd never know that the Republicans did have any liberal members in it's ranks.

------------------
"Okashii na... namida ga nagareteru. Hitotsu mo kanashikunai no ni."
(That's funny... my tears are falling. And I'm not sad at all.) - Quatre Raberba Winner

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Right is saying that today the parties are closely aligned on the liberal/conservative lines, but that they used to be more alike, in that they each had conservative, moderate, and liberal groups in them.

Liberal Republicans? Who'd'a thought?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Would Right's opening statement be considered a flame on people, since it is directed at 'You guys..'???

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited February 07, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Right is not.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is Right wrong?

The bit about all of us being stupid? Republican liberals? Democrat conservatives? Or are you suggesting that Right is not a member of the right?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 07, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not, Right, but right.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not inclined to take his initial statement as an insult.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You guys are stupid."

Yes. And since we're just tossing these out there, I'd like to note that you would be hard pressed to find your way down a slide with a large box marked "Slide Instructions" sitting at the bottom.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch. That was cold. *LOL*

------------------
"Okashii na... namida ga nagareteru. Hitotsu mo kanashikunai no ni."
(That's funny... my tears are falling. And I'm not sad at all.) - Quatre Raberba Winner

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it should be bloody well clear to anyone who actually read what I posted, the "you guys are stupid" comment is directed only at those who believe Conservative = Republican and Democrat = Liberal, because they don't. Namely, Omega and JeffK, who seem to associate the two. SNAP OUT OF IT! To anyone else who was offended, I apologize -- it wasn't directed at you.

He

I beg your pardon?

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon? Since when do I think that the GOP is synonymous with wanting a smaller government, or that the DNP is synonymous with a bigger one? Just because that's what, with the exception of Richard Nixon, both have pretty well consistantly executed in office since the 30s...

I never said, indicated, nor believed that the terms were synonymous. I am well aware of the differences, and use whichever fits the situation.

And BTW: how could Mr. "Segregation FOREVER!" be "obviously" a conservative?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps