Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the he as gender inspecific, until a person is known.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is he a liberal, Omega?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 08, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides we, it seems, enjoy calling each other self righteous Conservitives/Republicans, and dim witted ignorant un-informed Liberal/Democrats, and indicisive half informed Independant. Now, if you do something silly, like start a topic on the length of the Defiant, then you will see political arch-enemies team up on you and batter your position mercilessly.

Or....

This could be a conspiracy aimed strictly at you....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is he a liberal, Omega?

I assume you're refering to Wallace. I never said he was. Right just said that he was obviously a conservative, and I asked for an explaination of his claim.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slide etc. = joke, you know.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd like to applaud Right for posting this. It sorta puts a light on all the negative typecasting that is associated with Liberals and Democrats. And as Ritten said, associated the Conservative and Republicans as "self-righteous". Just thinking of that makes me retch.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I demand royalties. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you = stupid.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since liberals backed the Civil Rights Act, it's a fairly good bet Conservatives opposed it. Mind you, I'm not talking about today's Conservatives, but those in the fifties and sixties. Obviously, today's Conservatives are a bit more open minded than those, just as today's liberals are more liberal than the liberals of that time period. But Wallace wasn't a liberal (at that time, anyway, apparently he later became a staunch opponent of segregation, but I don't know much about that), might've been a moderate (it's been suggested he took such a hard line simply to be re-elected and not because he personally supported segregation), but probably a Conservative.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your basis for the statement that "liberals backed the Civil Rights Act"? Al Gore, Sr., certainly was a liberal (and was also in the back pocket of a Soviet operative ironically named Armand Hammer, BTW), and he opposed it vehemently.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, you're right, JFK and LBJ didn't support the thing at all. I keep forgetting. Hello? Whose history books are you reading? Just wondering. Where does your proof for your allegations (both of them) come from? Rush Limbaugh doesn't count, BTW.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

Um... excuse me? You made a completely whacked-out blanket statement that made no sense whatsoever, and I am the one reading the wrong history books. You said that because liberals, ANY liberals, supported it, conservatives had to be against it. Did you even think about this before you typed it?

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Er, no, hardly. Although why do you think Conservatives supported it? Just out of curiousity. Wallace didn't support it -- he was a Conservative.

This whole nation has been based on liberal ideals. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are two of the most liberal documents ever written (especially at that time). The Civil War was fought for very liberal agendas (at first, the power of the Federal gov't over the state, then the freedom of the enslaved). Just look at FDR's term to identify other liberal ideals.

I don't thinks its very far-fetched to suggest that the Civil Rights Act has more liberal support than conservative, does it?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

Er, no, hardly.

So you DIDN'T think about it before you typed?

I don't thinks its very far-fetched to suggest that the Civil Rights Act has more liberal support than conservative, does it?

Yes, it is quite far-fetched, because you have no evidence to support it.

The DoI is not liberal or conservative, as it states no powers of government.

The Constitution is not liberal, unless compaired to uber-weak governments like the Articles of Confederation.

FDR, however, WAS a liberal, and practically all his ideas increased the power of the government.

But what does this have to do with the CRA? How the heck does freeing slaves and letting everyone vote increase the power of the government? It doesn't, and is thus not a liberal idea. It's like abortion and capital punishment: they have nothing to do with the level of control the government has over your life, and thus are not liberal or conservative ideas. They're issues of morality.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Omega,

While those are how many liberal/conservative ideals are defined today, that does not mean they're how they were defined in the past.

Liberal -

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry

b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded

Conservative -

a. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

The DoI and the Constitution were liberal documents at the time because they were NOT limited to the established attitude of rule by monarch. Very much, those documents, the ideas they were based on, etcetra, were EXTREMELY liberal for their time.

By definition, the Civil Rights Act was a very liberal document, and Conservatives tended to oppose it. Mind you, this is not an attack on today's Republican Party (which tends to made up of mostly conservatives).

Liberal minded people supported the CRA, Conservative minded people (opposed to change) didn't.

How the heck does freeing slaves and letting everyone vote increase the power of the government? It doesn't, and is thus not a liberal idea

Um, Omega, I don't know what your definition of liberal is. I can safely say it is incorrect. While many liberals do support a bigger gov't, that hardly means that liberal ideals can ONLY be those associated with having a bigger government. It's like saying you have to support the NRA to be a Conservative. You don't, it's just one issue of many and of a completely different ideology.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was liberal precisely because it challenged the concept of segregation, etc.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)

Omega
Member # 91

The definitions of conservative and liberal have changed over the decades. As it now stands, a liberal is defined as someone who wants a bigger government, not someone who wants to change things. A conservative is defined as someone who wants a smaller government and more personal freedom. The definition changes because the situation changes.

Look at Bill Clinton. You won't find anyone who argues that he's not liberal, yet what did he do to REALLY change things? Not one stinkin' thing. After he left office, Social Security and Medicare were exactly the same as they were, plus eight years of decay.

Look at the President. He wants to change quite a bit of stuff (Social security, vouchers, etc.), and yet he's conservative.

Words mean whatever they're intended by the speaker to mean, and if that intent changes, so does the definition of the word. You're definitions do not fit current usage of terms. Mine do.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps