Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Iraq? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Iraq?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Why are we bombing Baghdad this time?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 16, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know until you told me. So I started my netscape messenger and the netscape news window popped up.

"The facilities targeted were outside the no-fly zone, which was set up by U.S. and British forces at the end of the Gulf War in 1991 but is not recognized by Iraq.

Pentagon officials said that intelligence indicated that anti-aircraft attacks carried out by the Iraqis against allied patrolling the no-fly zone have been directed from control centers north of the 33rd parallel.

The United States has claimed the right to strike facilities outside the no-fly zone.

Iraqis celebrating the end of the week in Baghdad were
interrupted by the wail of air raid sirens, although they were told at first the sirens were a test.

Some 10 minutes later, however, anti-aircraft fire erupted to the south and west of the city and several large explosions were heard. Iraqi television changed from its regular programming to military music.

Television also aired an image of a wounded Iraqi soldier."

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 16, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"anti-aircraft attacks carried out by the Iraqis against allied aircraft patrolling the no-fly zone have been directed from control centers north of the 33rd parallel."

"A Western defense official familiar with the operation told Reuters that "in the past few weeks the firing at our planes has increased at least tenfold."
"All the targets mainly have to do with command-and-control that are in charge of the recently increased firing against us," the official added.
The White House said President Bush authorized the strikes on Thursday, and described them as "routine."
The strikes did not appear to mark a departure from U.S. policy toward Iraq. The Clinton administration said any military target in Iraq that threatened allied planes enforcing no-fly zones over northern and southern Iraq were fair game."

In other words, they're shooting at us when we told them not to. So we shot back. Aww. Big, bad us. And the Dems can't moan because Clinton did the same thing. Winners all around!

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited February 16, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for dead Iraqi Soldiers!

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy. Here we go AGAIN with the bombings...

Didn't Clinton do something like this in his first 100 days in office?

------------------
"Okashii na... namida ga nagareteru. Hitotsu mo kanashikunai no ni."
(That's funny... my tears are falling. And I'm not sad at all.) - Quatre Raberba Winner

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Clinton ordered a bombing on Iraq for some reason or another early in his presidency. I can't remember what for, though.

As a slight hijack, when I first heard the story on the news and Bush's comments about ordering the strike, I was half asleep. My mind must have been playing some tricks on me because I swear I heard Bush say, "My daddy done fought that Saddum ten years ago. My daddy said Saddum a bad man, so I say to ol' Dick, 'Let's kick their cotton-theiving asses!'"

My suitemate found this hysterical when I told him.

Hijack over, please continue debating.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er ... I just wanted to know why we were bombing. I don't recall assigning blame. Besides, doesn't this also mean Republicans can't scream about when Clinton did it because Bush (both of 'em!) have done it too?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've been in pretty much a constant state of open conflict with Iraq since the Gulf War.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was interesting to watch what happened with the stock market when word of the attack hit. Some stocks rose sharply, then dropped back down; some dropped sharply, then rose back up. On the whole, we ended down, but up for the week.

The bull may be returning, but he isn't in a hurry.

------------------
"My knowledge and experience far exceeds your own, by, oh, about a BILLION times!" -- Q

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Looks like Tony Blair wanted the strikes, and worked out a "scratch my back, I'll scratch your back" deal with Bush to get the strikes.

Supposedly, Blair will support the Star Wars plan ...

Great, well, now we'll get nuked ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be overly cynical to suggest the President Double U found the first opportunity to flex his foreign mussles by bombing the available bad boy.

No. No, that would not be it because now I'm starting to sound like the people who bashed Clinton when he bombed something.

Foreign policy is best conducted at the explosive end of a dumb bomb I always say.

------------------
"One reason I like to highlight reading is, reading is the beginnings of the ability to be a good student. And if you can't read, it's going to be hard to realize dreams, it's going to be hard to go to college. So when your teachers say, read--you ought to listen to her."
~ George W. Bush, Deer-In-The-Headlights of the United States

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As in 1998, after 'Operation Desert Fox', the Iraqis (read: Saddam Husayn*, and Hashim Jabburi Tai) are declaring that they will not stand for these Allied strikes, and are contemplating Military retaliation if another of such strikes occur.

(Why does the Media misspell his name? The Iraqi news may refer to your country as Disbelieving American Infidel Pigs, but I don't think they call POTUS, George Borsh.)

I assume it's a good thing that you Americans (And British, to an extent) are content with picking on an enemy with little or no actual offensive capabilities. Destroying Iraqi radar sites is like hitting the kid who has just lost his glasses in the face with a Dodge Ball in 4th grade gym class.

Someday, however, when your policies of 'World Policemen' aren't satisfied with the petty country of Iraq, and your attention draws toward a country with a much lower level of tolerance and the ability to act on this lack of tolerance, wether it be through organized military resistance, or through 'Home Soil Guerrila Attacks', you may find yourself with some dead Americans.

You are far less respected outside your borders than you may think.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 18, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it is more like taking the kids glasses...

Then punching him...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All thier bases are belong to US.

quote:

You are far less respected outside your borders than you may think.

We know. We see it on the news everyday. I learned some of the reasons, being around you guys, online.

------------------
I DO NOT ENJOY BOTH GENDERS!!!
Ultra Magnus

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's weird that Blair did it though. I know there's an election coming up, but it's not really a vote grapping move over here. "Oh dear George. It seems that ol' Tony's gone and dropped one on Saddam again."

"Really Harry? That's most unfortunate. Pass the sugar."

He'd get far more votes if he just dropped the early pub closing law...

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps