Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2 students are dead, 13 more are injured in school shooting. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 2 students are dead, 13 more are injured in school shooting.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
2 people died and 13 more were injured in a high school shooting in California earlier today. The suspect has been captured. He is a 16 year old student who goes to the very school where the shooting took place. You can get more info on Fox news and/or MSNBC.

------------------
If anyone has a Star wars action fleet E-wing starfighter or Tie defender toy they want to sell, please E-mail me at [email protected]

IP: Logged
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only happened like an hour or two ago, didn't it? Roll on the Flameboard...

Hope the little shit gets his hole thoroughly kicked before they get to the precinct house.

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you people get together while I was asleep and plan out how best to make my day difficult? And I've got to work, too. And record Babylon 5. It's a mess, I tell you.

(Yes, this thread will probably need to be moved later on. Not just yet, though. We shall see.)

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd be as well off to move it now, Simon.

JMHO.

------------------

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect some little shit has to go out a blow a bunch of holes in his classmates on my birthday. I'm going to go down there and kick his ass myself. The only thing I wanted to have happen today was me getting messed up with a bottle of irish whiskey. Stupid little moron.

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

Did it happen near you?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably quite right.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard about this on the radio. The bastard was smiling as he pumped lead into kids' bodies.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got finished playing Unreal Tournament and feel like doin' it in real life now!!

Well no, of course not. Why? Because I have common sense to know UT is only game. I love playing UT, I love blowing people to bits with the rocket launcher. But that doesn't mean I'd do it in real life.

But I can't help but think parents are going to blame games for this. I guess it's easier for them to blame games, TV, or movies than to think their kid was messed up and mentally unstable to begin with.

------------------
Flare: Where sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that the games are to blame per se, in that the game says, "hey, go take a shotgun to school and kill people!" but that "entertainment" these days desensitizes kids to death and violence.

I'm not saying these are my beliefs, just that that is one argument (and the one most plausable, honestly)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it the minute I started my browser. The news service of my start-page broke it to me. This is terrible.
A boy in Stockholm was shot dead in the school restroom only two months ago, exactly like in the end of "American History X". This is so bad.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. A gun thread? What is the nature of this thread? I do not recall any of these in recent memory, and I seem to recall them all ending in peaceful, mutual agreement on a final solution.

Not the Holocaust, mind you.

This came as a shock to some people? If it did, one must ask the ultimate question, is your current place of residence a acutely thin, round layer of material filled with a hollow inside?

Speaking of desensitization of violence, I for one can appreciate the good action movie, preferably one with Arab terrorists. In any event, people, such as myself are desensitized to this real world violence much more so than any fictionalized, fantasized or sensationalized media violentia. So, when I feel the need to click on the little 'e' with a circle around it (which is very pretty, I might add) and Reuters attempts to alarm me by showing big headlines such as '2 dead in High School shooting', there's not much more to do than see if any nude celebrity sites have updated.

This is not demoting this tragedy in any way. It's bad. We all know that. The thing is that it happens so often it's like mosquito bites.

You gotta watch where you go so you don't get bitten.

There is nothing more you can do.

PS - I can't recall the last time I felt scared going to School. This isn't to say there will never, or there isn't a chance this can't happen here. It's just - nice, I suppose, to be comfortable in your surroundings.

PPS - There was some American Senator-ma-thingy on the TV, is it? About an hour ago. I think he was a Republican, but I'm not sure. He was hawking some Vacuum cleaner of Gun Control lobby/proposal/bill/little guy who dances and sings on the steps from that TV show from the 80's, which, as we all know has about as much chance of doing anything as I do bedding Nikki Taylor, but he mentioned something that I though was interesting, right before I turned it to VIP. He said something along the lines of 'For all the good that supporters of the First Ammendment say about how guns provide protection, it sure helped those kids at school'.

Now, wether he means that guns are bad, or that we should equip children with handguns (It is not my place to decide which is the correct answer, I'm foreign.), I do not know. I do know the USP is quite light, however. And perhaps a six-year-old may be able to carry it.
Time will tell of course.

And our hindsight will be 10/200 as it always seems to be.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'For all the good that supporters of the First [sic] Ammendment say about how guns provide protection, it sure helped those kids at school'

Ironically, this is true, from what I hear. The shooting was stopped by an off-duty policeman. A man carrying a gun. Same in Pearl, Mississippi. Someone on staff actually ran out to his car to get his gun (He had parked 100 yards away from the school, as required by law when you're carrying a gun in your vehicle. Too bad; more lives might have been saved had he been able to park closer.), came back in, and held the kid while he was reloading until the police came.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited March 05, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, because we all know that that kid BRAGGING about what he was going to do the WEEK before couldn't have prevented it.

HELLO? "I'm going to take a gun to school on Monday and shoot people." Why the fuck don't people take this seriously?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If ever one could be said of finding the proverbial silver lining in an overcast world, Omega could be. And the hand that is not this one but is the other, said one could also be the chief candidate for the election to the post of the person who sees things only how, and if they appropriate the situation at hand.

Certainly that one sentence, which wasn't the bulk of my post, nor was it even anything but a passing reference got the most attention.

If I had money, and if I were to buy something, it wouldn't be a Mercury, as per the country music sensation, but it would be a little world, so I could go live on it. And know where certain members of these forums come from.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps