Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » 2 students are dead, 13 more are injured in school shooting. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: 2 students are dead, 13 more are injured in school shooting.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I corrected possible misinformation. I also added information about the situation that is being discussed. What's your problem, again?

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think UM's problem is that you appear to be saying that gun violence is a solution to gun violence.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not my place to decide which is the correct answer, I'm foreign.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who said anything about violence? He simply held the perpetrator using a gun. I didn't say he shot the kid. 'Course, I suppose he may have, I didn't hear all of the report, but that wasn't indicated by what I did hear.

Not that shooting the perpetrator of one of these shootings wouldn't stop the violence, of course, but always, the prefered solution would obviously have been for the kids idiot parents to have been paying attention to their son's life.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that shooting the perpetrator of one of these shootings wouldn't stop the violence, of course, but always, the prefered solution would obviously have been for the kids idiot parents to have been paying attention to their son's life.

Gun control debates aside, you are correct, Omega.

I can sympathize with the shooter, does not mean that it justifies what he did. As a person formerly picked on, verbally and physically abused and wherever I go to get help, people laugh and say "it's all in my head". My parents didn't help, they only cared about whether or not I had A's. They did not care about justice for their own son from all this bullying, teasing, practical jokes and the like. And when I'm depressed about it all, my tormentors even suggest ways for me to commit suicide.

Yes, I did consider it for a while, but fortunately, I had my mental faculties intact to ignore the recommendation. I swear by God and Sonny Jesus that if I wasn't of sound mind, I would have pumped shotgun lead into the people who I wish were held accountable for their actions in picking on me, but alas, weren't.

I'm a much better individual now, but sometimes painful memories come to haunt me now and then. I've learned to ignore then and grow to my present age of 23, and moving on in life.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. That was...disturbing.

Remember the days when kids learned Judo to stand up to bullies. Much more honorable than today, plus you get fat Chinese mentors like the guy from Karate Kid, or that other guy from Happy Days.

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can sympathize with the kid's being bullied, tormented and teased into snapping, but I can't condone his course of action either.
Who remembers their childhood and especially teen years and how cruel others or even we could be to our peers? The kid snapped because his schoolmates tormented him into it. That doesn't make what he did right but then it also won't click in the minds of people who will run to blame video games, movies, music and other "violent" media forms.
The kid needs psychiatric help, not locked up in prison for life. Those he went to school with need to be taught a lesson as well, in that doing what was done to him will only cause more of these kinds of incidents.
Teaching students that bullying and tormenting their classmates is wrong would be more effective than rushing to ban guns, video games and movies for it.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are people who seem to've been born evil. There was a kid when I grew up who was a true sadist. And he seemed to have nice parents, everyone thought...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having asked around a bit, I've noticed a disparity in how people want to respond to bullies:

1/ British kids want to kick the shit out of bullies.

2/ American kids want to shoot them dead. And then shoot some other people too.

Why is this? Do these bullied children think "I'll kill the guys who stuck my head down the toilet", get into school, and then change their plan to "kill everyone! Huh huh huh!"?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Children don't normally have experience with armed combat.
When they put themselves in that situation they tend to get a little nervous, like that guy from "Crime and Punishment", and when things get out of hand their judgement drops even lower and people get hurt.
Even grown men can puke their guts out after killing for the first time, it's not meant to be, it tears up a part of you that's better used in other ways...
The human mind works best with the "live and let live" policy.

I hope I'll never kill anyone. If I do, it will be through self-preservation. I never wanted to kill my old ghosts, I just wanted to knock them out or hear them apologize. ;(

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here a fan of Picket Fences?

Remember when Matt Brock (the middle kid), gets his head stuck in the toilet by some high schooler? He gets his vengeance by firing a potato gun at the high schooler -- causing the older kid to lose control of his car and break his back. In response to that, the high schooler's kid brother shoots Matt Brock in school with a .38.

Just thought it was interesting time for TNN to re-run that episode today ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Omega
Member # 91

And thus we get to another solution: stop the bullies to begin with.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And how would you propose doing that?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

Haven't spent much time thinking about it. I'm speaking strictly hypothetically.

One thing I'd be interested to know: do such shootings ever occur at private schools?

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There was an incident here in Maryland about 10 years back, but I don't recall the details. In this case, a "straw purchase" was the culprit -- an older brother or friend legally purchased a handgun then sold it to a younger child who shot several people ... about a year later, the gun store where the gun had been purchased, relocated -- right across from the school where the shooting happened.

Frankly, as much as I hate to suggest this, I think schools need to look into taking more precautions: namely, metal detectors, and/or police sweeps of lockers for weapons.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps