Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance Reform (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance Reform
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just how DO you define "liberal", anyway? Just anything that you consider good and pure, or what? The Ku Klux Klan has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives in any way. It has nothing to do with the size of the government.

I'm simply pointing out that the ACLU can hardly be considered liberal. A mistaken impression you appear to have.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 25, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, looking at, for example, Bill Frist's "scorecard", they:

have totally screwed up positions on abortion
consider it the fault of the states that more black kids get sent to juvie
oppose allowing employers to access the juvenile records of serious offenders
oppose trying serious offenders in their mid teens as adults
seem to think that partial-birth abortion is not dangerous (it's more dangerous than simply giving birth)
don't think there should be a minimum sentence for drug dealers

I stand corrected. Their ideas don't have anything to do with the size of government ALL that often, and thus they are not liberal as such. They're just morons.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
have totally screwed up positions on abortion

Aye-yi-yi: the Right of Privacy. Ya' heard of it? Of course not.

quote:
consider it the fault of the states that more black kids get sent to juvie

What's your proof that it isn't?

quote:
oppose allowing employers to access the juvenile records of serious offenders

Again, the right to privacy. Juvenile records are sealed -- accessing them is unconstitutional.

quote:
oppose trying serious offenders in their mid teens as adults

Well, since you think the 18-year old shooter is a "child" in the other thread, you apparently agree with them here. Or do you so quickly forget what you post in other threads?

quote:
seem to think that partial-birth abortion is not dangerous (it's more dangerous than simply giving birth)

Right to privacy. Honestly, do you ever read anything about the ACLU? You know -- defend the Constitution?

quote:
don't think there should be a minimum sentence for drug dealers

Yes. Because it's unconstitutional. How many times do we have to go over this?

quote:
I stand corrected. Their ideas don't have anything to do with the size of government ALL that often, and thus they are not liberal as such. They're just morons.

If they're just morons, that would explain quite a bit about why you agree with them in the argument about McCain/Feingold reform. Thank you for the ad-hominem (albeit unintentional) against yourself.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point out to me the article or ammendment which contains a "right to privacy".

Also, please explain how this theoretical right to privacy leads to a right to kill another human being with impunity?

Further, please explain how a right to privacy includes a right to have knowledge of crimes you have commited sealed. Generally, criminals have no rights, even ones that don't exist.

If they're just morons, that would explain quite a bit about why you agree with them in the argument about McCain/Feingold reform.

Considering that you apparently now agree with them, too...

------------------
"Omega is right."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Further, please explain how a right to privacy includes a right to have knowledge of crimes you have commited sealed.

Even after they've paid their debt to society? So, in essence, you don't even believe in giving someone a clean slate when they get out of jail, or finish their community service. Once a criminal, always a criminal. Typical.

quote:
Generally, criminals have no rights, even ones that don't exist.

Well, you're right there. Criminals who don't exist have no rights. But we're concerned with ex-criminals who do exist, not criminals who don't.

quote:
Considering that you apparently now agree with them, too...

But I never called them "morons." You claimed that the ACLU were morons, yet you agree with some on several positions, thus, you are calling yourself a moron. You are also calling me a moron indirectly, but I am not calling myself a moron. There's a difference.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Omega
Member # 91

You claimed that the ACLU were morons, yet you agree with some on several positions, thus, you are calling yourself a moron.

A) Several?

B) Even people who are usually wrong can get something right occasionally. I refer you to your opinion of my knowledge of the Constitution.

------------------
"Omega is right."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Several?

Yes. Do you not know what the word means?

Strange, tho, that you blast the ACLU's view on how it is unconstitutional to charge a child as an adult, especially because in the current gun thread, you apparently think an 18-year old (an adult) shouldn't even be charged as an adult.

quote:
Even people who are usually wrong can get something right occasionally.

Which explains why you're correct on this issue. You said it so well.

quote:
I refer you to your opinion of my knowledge of the Constitution.

Ignorant of Constitutional Law, but still manages to get something correct every now and then.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, in essence, you don't even believe in giving someone a clean slate when they get out of jail, or finish their community service."

A second chance, yes. Pretending it never happened, NO. Those ARE two different things.

Since you brought up the other thread, do you know the shooter in this latest school had been CONVICTED of assault? Which makes me wonder what he was doing back in a public school at all, since generally that's grounds for EXPULSION? Probably someone like you gave him a 'clean slate.' Good job.

But back on topic.. how exactly can McCain-Feingold BE such a good idea if it does all those things that the ACLU says it does? HOW are they going to ameliorate those effects? You need to know that before you can tell if it's at all worthy of support.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Since you brought up the other thread, do you know the shooter in this latest school had been CONVICTED of assault? Which makes me wonder what he was doing back in a public school at all, since generally that's grounds for EXPULSION? Probably someone like you gave him a 'clean slate.' Good job.

Although I'm sure you're un-aware of this, you can be expelled from one school and accepted into another. Happens all the time. Besides, somebody like you probably thought the conviction was just the result of "boys being boys" and didn't care about it.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in doubt, don't acknowledge when your opponent has a point. Did you read the last part of First's post, Jeff?

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ah, JeffRaven, sadly, as you like to call me on it, it happens quite frequently. I believe Jay brought the point up a while ago that he stopped becoming involved in a debate because his strong points were ignored by his opponents, who decided to attack his weakest points to death, then declare "victory."

Campaign finance reform is something which this country needs. If not McCain/Feingold, then something else.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather see existing laws being enforced, before we tack on more laws, especially ones that limit free speech.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yep, just like the wonderful example set by the Texas police.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

What is this? Ad Hominium or something?

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps