Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance Reform (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance Reform
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ClintonSpeak*

I don't think there's any evidence that we made that claim.

*/ClintonSpeak*

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 21, 2000 10:45 am posted by FIRST OF TWO

Another fairly simple thing to see is thatr if we enforced existing regulations, rather than ignoring them, plea-bargaining them down, or deliberately creating loopholes and exceptions for our friends (like Slick Willie and Ozone Al have in several cases) it is unlikely that we would need further rules and regulations to pick up the slack.

Not to mention, I've heard Rush Limbaugh, your dear beloved Saint of Conservative AM Radio, say repeatedly that only liberals pass laws and then decide not to enforce them

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quote in question does not mention Democratic legislatures in any way. It simply mentions Gore and Clinton as major offenders, which they were. You seem to assume that people are out to get you when they're not, forcing yourself onto the defensive.

Paranoid...

Oh, and BTW, what does Rush Limbaugh have to do with... anything at all? Let's see. You bring up the beliefs of someone who has nothing to do with the discussion. Why would you do this? To distract attention away from something? What, then? Perhaps the inadequacy of your own argument?

You just make yourself look bad when you do things like this, JK. Don't you get that?

Under any circumstances, let's get back to what the topic was BEFORE you changed it because you couldn't win. We don't know whether we need to change existing law or not until we see if existing law works. We won't know whether existing law works or not until it's enforced, which it has not been for eight years. Do you disagree with any of the above?

------------------
"Omega is right."

Right
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying Rush Limbaugh isn't an extremely conservative Republican? Most of the AM-listening radio-heads follow Rush, no matter what comments he make, so if Rush were to say that liberals created laws but didn't enforce them, would he not be speaking for a vast majority of Republicans?

I don't know if he actually said that or not, I find Rush about as educational as a pile of dog crap and just as appealing.

And besides, the whole notion of a political group enforcing laws is ridiculous. Police enforce laws, not politicians. JeffK is quite incorrect to suggest that the Texas' police failure to arrest those who are obviously breaking the law is Dubya's fault. At the same time, both Omega and First of Two seem to think that Al Gore and Bill Clinton don't enforce laws -- well, duh. They pass laws, cops enforce laws. As I recall, didn't Clinton get federal funding to put 70,000 cops on the street?

Now, as for McCain/Feingold. Is it Un-Constitutional? Maybe. I don't agree with the ACLU about everything, but it seems to me that our whole political system is majorly fucked up and it's time to do some reform of one sort or the other.

------------------
"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make them my friends?" - Abraham Lincoln

"America is a large, friendly dog in a very small room. Every time it wags its tail it knocks over a chair." - Arnold Toynbee

"Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity." - Anonymous

"Our bombs are smarter than [George W. Bush]. At least they can find Kuwait." - A. Whitney Brown

IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

Rush Limbaugh is irrelevant to this discussion. All mentions of him will be ignored by me from this point forward.

As I recall, didn't Clinton get federal funding to put 70,000 cops on the street?

Funding which was almost immediately withdrawn, by design.

our whole political system is majorly fucked up and it's time to do some reform of one sort or the other.

Well, we've gotten a good start by electing a president that doesn't actively BREAK the laws, wouldn't you say?

both Omega and First of Two seem to think that Al Gore and Bill Clinton don't enforce laws

Reno ran the justice department. Reno took orders from Clinton. Reno didn't enforce campaign finance laws. Reno could have been ordered to enforce said laws by Clinton. No such order was given.

------------------
"Omega is right."

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited March 28, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He does have an annoying tendency to create generalizations out of specific cases, doesn't he?

I say 'Clinton and Gore' which he expands to mean 'all liberals.'

You know, if I said I thought that Michael Jackson, who happens to be a black man, was a pervert, and he expanded that to say that I said that all blacks were perverts, And publicly announced on a forum that that is what I said, I could probably sue him for libel.

*Mackeyspeak*
M'kay? Making generalities out of specifics is BAD. If you make generalities out of specifics, you're bad, M'kay? Racists and sexists and Fundies make generalities out of specifics. They're bad.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Member # 91

Michael Jackson, who happens to be a black man

He IS? You're kidding, right?

------------------
"Omega is right."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's two shockers in that sentence. 'Black', and 'Man'. I suppose I shouldn't have found his 'Black or White' video erotic. I feel dirty.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I say 'Clinton and Gore' which he expands to mean 'all liberals.'

My apologies. In my searchings, I couldn't find anywhere where you did in fact mention all liberals. Keeping in mind that the post I quoted you from almost half a year old, I'm sure you can understand that the misunderstanding was simply that over a space of time.

quote:
Well, we've gotten a good start by electing a president that doesn't actively BREAK the laws, wouldn't you say?

Which is a good change not only from Clinton, but Bush Sr., Reagan, Nixon ...

quote:
Reno ran the justice department. Reno took orders from Clinton. Reno didn't enforce campaign finance laws. Reno could have been ordered to enforce said laws by Clinton. No such order was given.

You know, I'm such an idiot. I didn't realize law enforcement had to actually wait to be ordered to enforce laws instead of just enforcing them ... ::shrug::

Still doesn't explain why Texas' Governor didn't order his cops to enforce the laws, tho.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apology accepted.

As for Reno, look at it from the other direction.
Reno had the authority to enforce said laws.
Reno did not.
Reno's job was to enforce the laws.
Reno did not.
Why?

Clinton could have gotten on her case about it.
Clinton had both the right and the authority to do so.
Clinton did not.
Why?

Perhaps because they did not WANT those laws enforced, as doing so would have been... inconvenient?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Omega
Member # 91

Clinton had both the right and the authority to do so.

Don't forget "obligation".

And if you, Jeff, have any evidence of campaign improprieties in the Reagan and Bush administrations, please present it. Otherwise, kindly shut up.

------------------
"Omega is right."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, at that I must point out that the discussion had verged away from campaign improprities towards law- ignoring conduct of any kind Well, we've gotten a good start by electing a president that doesn't actively BREAK the laws, wouldn't you say?. Your own words. Unless, of course, you've forgotten about Watergate, or Iran-Contra...?

When did I mention anything about Reagan or Bush campaign illegalities? Anyone?

Maybe you need to take your own advice, Omega. Shut up. Or try reading.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited March 29, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Two wrongs do not a right make.

You cannot justify Clintonian behavior by pointing to previous administrations. Even Nixon.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Not trying to justify, am I? Simply pointing out that it is erroneous (yes, I know I mispelled that) to point fingers at Bill Clinton as the only President to break the law.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Recommended reading?

Princeton Law professor and Federal Electoin Commission member Bradley A. Smith

"Unfree Speech: the Folly of Campaign Finance Reform"
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2M48LJXM13&mscssid=NCKVGP5B7C7A9JB1P3AWNDRDKDTE9PLE&isbn=0691070458

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps