Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » This can only end in fire... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: This can only end in fire...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the people with the attitude "I'll do this because I CAN!" will eventually all be fragged by the people who don't have that attitude. Because WE can AND should.

Heinlein once wrote about a culture in which bullying and other such rudeness had been virtually eliminated... because dueling had been re-instituted.

Seemed that picking at someone became less enjoyable when he might 'call you out' and turn out to be a much better shot than you.

heh.

"Me, Lothar, take your lunch money!"
"Fine. Ten paces, turn and fire."
"Uh?"

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As a military commander, he was thoroughly incompetent."

That's not entirely true. Many military historians will tell you that, while Hitler had almost no grasp on matters of strategic importance, as a tactician he had moments of borderline genius.

Now everyone go read "The Man in the High Castle."

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly! And also, we must stop children from killing eachother! You know, in this century.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong UM, it should be noted that school shootings in the US are down 33% I the past 5 years. That�s less "deranged students barging in with guns blazing". Local media just latches on to them because people like being paranoid. And we all know why foreign media latches on.

Schoolhouses in no way should be treated like jailhouses. The vast majority should not be punished because of a few (and I mean few.. 5 or 6 people) people�s actions. That�s just not how things work here. As a matter of fact, many school are already being busted for their policies that remove student rights. The American Civil Liberties Union is really starting to crack down on paranoid, corrupted schools (like mine is turning into).

From my article regarding my school:
( http://www.techfx.org )

"When you enter that door, you are constantly treated like a possible murderer. Staff and administration censor you because they are afraid of you. They are afraid that if you display an interest in anything they deem 'inappropriate' they will punish, suspend, and expel you without notice of charges or the right to respond. After all, to them you are the potential murderer."

"If you come to school and don't display an interest in anything they deem inappropriate, if you stick to yourself and don't get caught up in the whole mess, and you�ll be one of the few. One of the few that will be treated as the potential victim. Everything you do will be within the shell of their control. You will be sheltered from anything 'bad' and will be completely unprepared for the life you will face after high school."

As you can see, I'm a bit bitter, being one of the leaders of Oregon's largest Airsoft team, I'm instantly targeted as one of those potential murderers.

In defense of other United States high schools, not all schools are like this. In fact, if you read my article you will find out why. Although there are some pretty crappy schools out there, it just goes with the quality of things. Of cause there is going to be some bad apples, but that doesn�t mean the entire barrel should be dismissed.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected][/URL]
TechFX Studios � [URL=http://uplink.techfx.org/]The United Federation Uplink �
------------------
I don't like Wesley Crusher.

[This message has been edited by Wes1701E (edited March 30, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Local media just latches on to them because people like being paranoid."

Yes. What a shame is this Paranoia. Paranoia about Children killing other Children. Woe is the world. What a silly idea.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder. If we pull this off, pacifying most of the juvenile population in the western world, can we move on to bigger things, like ending famine? Hmmm...

Psychology is so interesting, the current young generation is always different from the one before it, because the world always changes. When we 15-25 year olds get older, we are going to be very different from our precursors, and yet the same.

This is where i sigh...
*sigh*

Good night.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps