Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is This Conservatism? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is This Conservatism?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I proceed, I'll note that the source of the following article is The Toronto Star. It is a left-of-centre newspaper that I usually read on my way to work. Despite its political standing, every political party left or right receives some form of criticism from the Star's Editorial Board (just last week, the Star lambasted a Liberal Party Minister).

Okay. Now on to the real issue I'd like to bring up. This Editorial appeared not too long ago, and I am looking for opinions on the actions of this Conservative political party that runs Ontario. Let the debate begin.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This certainly isn't conservativism as I would define it. Rather, stupidity. Remember though, the underlying flaw in this situation is the socialized medicine you guys have up there. If Doctors were set to compete in the market of healthcare, this problem wouldn't have arisen.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking your point into consideration, the founding fathers of Medicare believed that Medical access should come on a first-come-first-serve basis so that nobody with fat wallets would jump the queue. Otherwise we would have a supremely superior system for those who can afford it, and a bare-bones, useless system for everyone else who can't, if such a system for the rest of them exists at all. May as well just roll up and die if you have a simple flesh wound.

Now back to the rest of the article. The policies of the Progressive Conservative (better known as PC, or Tory) had originated from several of the States, as Mike Harris put it at one point. The article stresses its results. And Mike Harris is a proud Conservative.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 28, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember "Critical Care"? That hospital ship was the ultimate HMO. Run by a bureaucrat, unindividualized, etc.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada's healthcare system may have it's problems but it's one of the best in the world, and there is no prejudice based on succes, race, religion or economic standing.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*L*

One of the best in the world? Only if you don't count the people who die in your hospitals while waiting for the government to decide whether they really NEED treatment or not.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It may have it's problems"

Yes, yes it does. Quite a few. While perhaps not as dire as Omega seemed to indicate, the situation certainly needs to get better than it is. It's unfortunate that Red Tape cannot heal wounds, because you're more likely to get that than to recieve a band-aid.

"best in the world"

In comparison to Malawi and Gabon, sure. So does most of the industrialized world. I seem to recall reading an article that the UN found that Sweden(? Perhaps another Scandinavian country) had the most effective health care. Anyone know anything more?

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited March 28, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Member # 33

The Politicians who are running this health care system are a bunch of morons. While the Prime Minister is short two bales of a haystack, Premier Harris is gutting the Ontario Health Care system in hopes of saying: "Hey, it doesn't work, we need two tiered healthcare here". He has stressed on many occassions that Private Healthcare should be considered because to ease the "problems" in the Public Healthcare system.

Problems HE created.

What a moron.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 28, 2001).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't see it that way, Tahna... Everyone knows there are problems with socialized healthcare. Certainly that politician is trying to cause it to crash all the more sooner, though. Two wrongs don't make a right, I guess.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if there aren't problems with privatized health care.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

Not "as if" Jeff. Yes, there are problems with privatized healthcare. But at this point, its the best system there is.

------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politicians decide who gets treated? Omega I get the feeling that you think anything that is run by the government involves direct decision making by pollies...ye need a reality check.

You come in, state you needs and get treated. Thats how it is here.

Your hospital system in the states will treat people, then hit them with a bill so large they'll need another operation to recover from the shock.

But then, I guess that doesn't fall within your bounds of being morally unacceptable.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
its the best system there is.

Except for the people that can't afford it ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eat the poor.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Or stuff them into a rocket and shoot them into the sun.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps