Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Is This Conservatism? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is This Conservatism?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Files the last two comments under "Less Than Useless" and fires THEM into the sun.*

I AM "the poor." If it weren't for my parents, and the fact that I love at home, I'd be living one paycheck away from being homeless. Thank goodness for the benefits of having A JOB.

Are there any employers left that DON'T have some kind of health plan?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be glad you have a job. Be glad that your job gives you a health plan.

And if your boss fires you tomorrow, then I guess you have a big problem.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I think we've been over in previous threads, some health plans are next to worthless. Also, many companies don't offer a health plan to it's employees until they've worked for a significant period of time.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, that part's true. I didn't get full benefits until I'd worked for a year. Of course, your chances in any given year of acquiring an illness that exceeds a couple of doctor visits is pretty low, if you're the average person. A flu or cold? Those are viral and they can't do much for it anyway. And didja know that ER's have to treat you whether you're covered or not?

As for losing my job.. it could happen, I suppose, despite the fact that I'm a government employee. But then, there's always another job. 120,000 new jobs created each month, according to the network news last night. I'm sure I could get one, with my education and background, if I tried.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Eat the poor."

That = ironical joke

Thread needs = lightening up

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Sol's Mass = Large.
His Weight = Light.
Therefore Sol = Master of Levity.
Or, gravity <> -9.8N.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And didja know that ER's have to treat you whether you're covered or not?

Gee -- sounds like socialized medical care right there, don't it?

Actually, I had a rather nasty ingrown toenail on my big toe last year. Had to get the toe numbed, and then cut open so they could remove the offending nail-fragment and cauterize it closed again.

I doubt the ER woulda done that. Suffice to say, my "health insurance" barely matched my deductible. Insurance my ass ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Oh my God, an ingrown tonenail! Call the whaambulance!

100 years ago, you could have taken care of that at home with a sharp penknife and a good bottle of whiskey.

But seriously... we all need more first aid training. One of the reasons our health care system is overburdened is that people are going to the hospitals for splinters and crap.

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will treat you if you are in an emergency situation, like say, beaten by a gang of thugs, but then you'll have to deal with a $65,000 bill.

As for getting a job, yes, given your background and experience, you may be able to get one, BUT, don't try to be too optimistic. I made that mistake once and was without a job for about 6 months.

And if you are forced to work at a McDonalds, well......

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 31, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

If you are forced to work at a McDonalds... you're still working. As Ann Landers said: "Your grandparents had a different name for burger flipping. They called it opportunity."

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

But do you get health insurance?

And yes, flipping burgers is a job, but then again, if that's the only job that you can get, is it very useful?

------------------

Saltah'na
Member # 33

[bah]

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited March 31, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

1of2: Better to get it taken care of by professionals as it was infected at the time

Seriously, even if MacD's has health-care, it's probably not very good for the average register clerk, and s/he's probably got to work their for quite a while before they even get it.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Here's another article about a somewhat different subject, but it is similar in content to the first one.

Click Here

What Say you? True Conservatism at work?

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

...in line with Section 31 (appendix 2) of regulation 298."

Hmmmm

To be honest, that article strikes me more as conspiracy theory than rational critique of Harris. And trust me, rationally critiquing Harris is hardly rocket science.

Of course, Harris' grand plans for his "Common Sense Revolution" will never be realized when he loses the next election in a few years (two to go?). McGuintey's got what, a twenty-point lead? He should mop the floor.

------------------
"Tony Blair like me uses Colgate"
-George W. Bush on forging new Anglo-American ties

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps