Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It's offical! W is truly a whore to the oil biz! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It's offical! W is truly a whore to the oil biz!
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for cutting a few unneccessary things from the national budget, but when I heard that W was going to cut the development of alterative energy sources budget in half, I couldn't help but have my jaw hang wide open. What the hell is W planning for us to do once the last drop of oil has been sucked from the ground??? Last time I heard, if we keep this up we'll be out by around 2050 or 2060. If the middle east decides to play games with us, America could be out of oil FAR sooner than that. I relize you can't just flip the oil switch to the 'off' position and only use solar energy or wind energy, but we can slowly start moveing things toward useing alternatives before the oil is all gone. If we don't, we will be dealing with the energy crises from the deepest depths of hell once the oil is gone and we don't have anything else to generate energy. I wish W could relize that. I guess all that all those jokes about W being an incompetent ideot has some truth to them after all.

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch out, MiB, Omega and Fo2 will string you up for saying that.

Why does it always appear that each right-of-centre politician that I've seen so far pander to interests that are detrimental to the environment?

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 10, 2001).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not all he's cutting...

• 17% off plan to put 100,000 new police officers on the street

• $35 million off plan to train paediatricians and other medical staff in children's hospitals

• quote:

Bush's budget also would trim environmental and energy-conservation programs, limit Space Station research, and slash programs to help Russian nuclear scientists find civilian work and boost economic development in poor neighbourhoods. It also would cut programs that support ship building and reward energy conservation at American companies.

from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, kingpin of the evil liberal-dominated American media

------------------
    "I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
    -Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 10, 2001).]

• Saltah'na
    Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Many programs put in place by former president Bill Clinton were targeted, including a 17 per cent cut in his program to put 100,000 new police officers on city streets. Part of the savings would be redirected to beefing up security at the nation's schools.

Interesting. I'll let him go on this one.

Bush's budget also assumes the federal government will raise $1.2 billion a year - beginning in 2004 - from oil leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Congress currently prohibits any such sales.

We also have:

It also would cut programs that ............ reward energy conservation at American companies.

*shakes head.* I'd like to see Omega or Fo2 or Jeff Raven justify these actions. Lemme guess, the Democrats have done worse, right? and the Republicans are trying to "repair the damage done by Slick Willie and his friends".

------------------
    - Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Actually, I think Rob's on the warpath himself. NASA got a big budget cut.

------------------
    Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
    Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
    "Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
    -Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Omega
    Some other beginning's end
    Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    So what's your problem, exactly? We need more domestic oil production. Pollution is secondary to the number of people who freeze to death in the winter because they can't afford heating oil, wouldn't you say?

Not that drilling and giant pipelines damage the environment, anyway. Heck, caribu LIKE that pipeline in Alaska. The herds are growing tremendously.

So again... what's your problem?

------------------
    "Omega is right."
    -Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Diane
    aka Tora Ziyal
    Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Just to clear up a misunderstanding, the extraction of oil is not like water from a well, which can be drained. Only a certain percentage (I forget how much it is now) of crude oil can be extracted from them dino bones, and as better technology is developed, more can be extracted from the place that may have been "depleted" a decade ago.

However, don't take this as a thumbs-up for cutting budget to the alternative-energy research. It's true that global warming MAY be a false alarm, but if you've stood at a busy intersection lately, you'd know that that car fart CAN'T be good for anybody.

------------------
    "There comes a time when the mind takes on a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there. All great discoveries have involved such a leap."
    --Albert Einstein, on intuition.

Diane
    aka Tora Ziyal
    Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    "We need more domestic oil production. Pollution is secondary to the number of people who freeze to death in the winter because they can't afford heating oil, wouldn't you say?"

How would domestic oil production cause poor people to suddenly be able to afford oil? And by the way, my heater uses NATURAL GAS.

"Not that drilling and giant pipelines damage the environment, anyway."

What are you talking about?

------------------
    "There comes a time when the mind takes on a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there. All great discoveries have involved such a leap."
    --Albert Einstein, on intuition.

Cartman
    just made by the Presbyterian Church
    Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I would like to know that, too.

Ah, I'm sure using gigantic drilling machines, clearing entire forests to lay a few thousand kilometers of piping, leaks in the current (and badly maintained) network, or massive oilspils have absolutely no damaging effect on the environment at all.

But of course, W's strings are pulled by the oil companies (just how DO you think he ended up in office, hmm? Who funded his campaigns? Which people have local Texan interests they wish to protect?), so the puppet only follows the course they want him to.

Poor Americans... so worried about their economy and eager to maintain their wasteful lifestyles that the destruction of their own habitat is deemed acceptable (or simply ignored).

------------------
    "Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

[This message has been edited by The_Evil_Lord (edited April 10, 2001).]

Saltah'na
    Member # 33

Not that drilling and giant pipelines damage the environment, anyway. Heck, caribu LIKE that pipeline in Alaska. The herds are growing tremendously.

Caribou like pipelines? heh. Please provide proof of your statement that oil rigs, refineries and other such things don't harm the environment.

Bravo TEL for taking the words straight from my mouth. Though I somehow do believe that such damage to the environment is considered "acceptable" to most Americans.

------------------

First of Two
    Better than you
    Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    It's still better than being a whore for the Chinese, like Clinton...

There are areas of oil under both Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico that are vaster than all the oil fields under the Persian Gulf.

But Greenpeace and their allies throw a hissy fit anytime anybody talks about tapping them, so we're stuck relying on foreign oil.

Very similar to the way in which the CA energy crisis was helped along now, isn't it? One wonders what the environmentalist movements' backers true motives are...

Speaking about misplaced activism, I heard a rumor today that the hoof-and-mouth epidemic was started when some activists 'freed' an infected animal. I don't know how accurate that is, but I though I'd throw it out there. If it WERE to be proven true, I think it would be endlessly hilarious, given all the unnecesary animal suffering and deaths it caused. It would also be more proof for my theory that causes like these always generate the exact opposite of their stated intent.

------------------
    The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

First of Two
    Better than you
    Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Actually, months ago I posted an official environmental study that showed that the caribou herds' population increased significantly since the creation of the pipeline, and that they were using it for shelter and such. But you ignored it then, and I'm too tired to go dredge it up now.

------------------
    The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

MC Infinity
    Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The current amount of coal will last us for 50 years from now---- is just the kind of bullshit that we should not beleive. This would be true, if we made no technological advances. If we were to use technology from the 1930s we'd have been out of oil twenty years ago, but instead we have far better methods for extracting now. And yes the current oil prices are a lot of doo-doo (i like using childish words, they're funny) and we do need to keep up research on alternative fuels, especially the nitrogen fuel option because we need them, but that doesn't mean we should be shitting our pants that we won't be able to drive anything.

------------------
    "Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Saltah'na
    Member # 33

Just because the caribou think the pipeline is beneficial to them does not mean that it is beneficial to all animals in the said environment.

That's what all the big industries want you to think. Big Corporations for many years have been known to cause damage in some form to the environment. While some companies have done changes that help the environment (forestry is one example) there are others which totally disregard the importance of said ecosystems.

Oil companies fall into the latter, and the latter is the majority. So while your statement may be true, it is only because of sheer luck that the caribou just happen to like the pipeline for the shelter. The next pipeline may not enjoy such a relationship.

------------------

First of Two
    Better than you
    Member # 16

Your statement applies to all human beings and all human activity. The existence of cities as entities does far more damage to the ecosystem than oil companies do. Abolish them. Relocate everybody evenly across the countryside.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps