Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It's offical! W is truly a whore to the oil biz! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It's offical! W is truly a whore to the oil biz!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's still better than being a whore for the Chinese, like Clinton...

Awwww. Isn't he cute?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal:

Only a certain percentage (I forget how much it is now) of crude oil can be extracted from them dino bones, and as better technology is developed, more can be extracted from the place that may have been "depleted" a decade ago.

I think it's supposedly something like 20%. I heard about some new technology that could extract ALL the oil from sand and dirt. It'll take a while to implement, but once it's in place, the US could run off of existing oil deposits for the next few centuries.

How would domestic oil production cause poor people to suddenly be able to afford oil?

Because there'd be more oil, obviously. We wouldn't be dependant on someone else (OPEC) for the supply, because people over here would want more of the pie, and would reduce prices to get it. IF there was a greater supply.

TEL:

using gigantic drilling machines

Which drill a hole exactly how many miles in diameter?

clearing entire forests to lay a few thousand kilometers of piping

ALASKA. No forests.

leaks in the current (and badly maintained) network, or massive oilspils

Leaks are certainly fixed ASAP. The less oil gets to you, the less you can sell. And don't give me any crap about how a small leak can destroy the entire environment for miles, or something like that. The Exxon Valdez spill cleaned ITSELF up within a decade, and that was on an absolutely massive scale. These minor leaks are nothing. Yeah, they do damage, but it's minor in the extreme, and it's certainly not some ecological armedgeddon.

just how DO you think he ended up in office, hmm?

By winning the election, perhaps?

so the puppet only follows the course they want him to.

So does that mean that since Clinton and Gore took money from the Chinese, they were controlled by the Commies that are now holding our people? Not trying to shift your fictional blame. Just curious how your false premise would apply.

Tahna:

Please provide proof of your statement that oil rigs, refineries and other such things don't harm the environment.

Ah-ah-AH. YOU prove that they DO. You make the assertion. I deny it. I'm not making a claim. I'm denying your assumption. You're asking me to prove a negative statement, which is pretty well impossible. Your turn, not mine. See, you just ASSUME that what you believe is the case. Prove it.

i11:

The current amount of coal will last us for 50 years from now

Funny, I've always read it to be more like 200.

Tahna:

That's what all the big industries want you to think.

Paranoia...

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for alternative energy sources. There was even an episode of The Lone Gunmen about a car that ran on water which addressed both the positive and negative effects of such a thing.

As for oil prices, the conspiracy-theorist inside me says that big oil companies are encouraging OPEC to produce less oil so that Shell or Texaco can keep upping their prices and continue making a few extra billion dollars.

My major gripe though are SUVs. Explorer, Expedition, Excursion... just how fucking big of a vehicle do people think they need? But it really gets me when someone gets a Ford Excursion then bitches about gas prices. It's a well-known fact that SUVs get shitty milage, like 15-20 miles to a gallon. My car, a '91 Nissan NX2000 gets over 20 miles/gallon, 200 miles a full tank (about 10-12 gallons). For an older car I consider that good, but I may be misinformed...

I don't keep up with politics though. It seems that junior is cutting everything, but for what? Where would the extra money go?

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bursts out laughing*

quote:

ALASKA. No forests.

Next thing you'll be telling me that Anchorage is a village of igloos.

One) Alaska has a shitload of forests. Indeed, I believe the wildlife reserve in question has no shortage of wood

Two) Is that supposed to mean that environmental impact is nonexistant on Tundra? I beg to differ.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ALASKA. No forests.

Alaska has forests, bright boy.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna go layman on your asses now, ok?
Doesn't the oil have a function in the ground and beneath the sea floor?
If we find every last depot and suck it long and hard, won't that have another effect on the environment? And where does it go?
If it burns or is vaporized, then all the oil that previously was in the ground is in our atmo- and stratosphere.

Reminds me of smog. What does smog consist of?

And what was the arguments in the US' declining/stalling in the global warming emissions treaty? "It probably won't come anyway..."???
Titanic, anyone? Or Pompeii, for that matter.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was kidding. Get a sense of humor.

Or maybe I needed to get one, seeing as it doesn't seem all that funny now...

Next thing you'll be telling me that Anchorage is a village of igloos.

It's not?

Ah, the smiley. That helps.

As for oil prices, the conspiracy-theorist inside me says that big oil companies are encouraging OPEC to produce less oil so that Shell or Texaco can keep upping their prices and continue making a few extra billion dollars.

Actually, Clinton did that. But for the Russians.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which drill a hole exactly how many miles in diameter?

Depends on how deep you have to drill. In any case, I don't see how turning the country into Swiss cheese is going to aid nature.

quote:
ALASKA. No forests.

Think again.

quote:
Leaks are certainly fixed ASAP. The less oil gets to you, the less you can sell. And don't give me any crap about how a small leak can destroy the entire environment for miles, or something like that. The Exxon Valdez spill cleaned ITSELF up within a decade, and that was on an absolutely massive scale. These minor leaks are nothing. Yeah, they do damage, but it's minor in the extreme, and it's certainly not some ecological armedgeddon.

Ah, so it doesn't matter if or how many oil spills occur, since it'll all clean itself up, eh? No matter how long it takes (what's ten years when compared to how long the oilfield will last)? How convenient, then it isn't even necessary spend any of those precious oil-$$$ to remove it. Let nature take care of your garbage. Great mentality.

quote:
By winning the election, perhaps?

I'd be happy to discuss those so-called "fair and unmanipulated" elections with you... but not in this thread, since that isn't the subject here.

quote:
So does that mean that since Clinton and Gore took money from the Chinese, they were controlled by the Commies that are now holding our people? Not trying to shift your fictional blame. Just curious how your false premise would apply.

There is, I suppose, nothing wrong with buying your way to the White House, backed by 1) multinationals which are all too eager to maintain their profitable position, and 2) a daddy who's been there before. (Political) knowledge and insight are apparently less important in a country where a strong enough lobby can get you anything, anywhere, anytime. But again, this is off-topic material.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heating oil? Doesn't anyone use woodstoves anymore? Or is that just a Canadian thing? And what about electric heat?

------------------
"The truth is usually just an excuse for lack of imagination."
- Garak, "Improbable Cause"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canadians. You backwater hicks.

I am a whore also. Not for mansex though. For what condolence it may provide, I will not become President.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quebec, sure, but Saskatchewan has left confederation now, too? Damn, being at university really seals one off from the news, huh? UM, you should have posted when you became a Saskatchewanian citizen.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 11, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'm not exactly happy with Bush's NASA budget, it isn't true that he cut it.

A story about it.

Frankly, I suspect this is because the current administration isn't all that interested in pure science. It's hardly a unique failing, of course. Supercolliding Superconductor, anyone?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: I don't need to mention anything further than the Oil Rig that broke up over the Atlantic, spilling tons of oil into the sea. And if that isn't an environmental disaster, I don't know what is.

However, the rig was a Brazilian one, I believe. Don't think for a minute that American Rigs and refineries will never have that problem.

Hydroelectric dams can also do some environmental damage as they cause flooding to habitats originally inhabited by other wildlife.

Anytime man made structures are erected on wildlife it involves destruction of part or all of that habitat, as well as residual effects such as pollution and the whatnot. In the case of the oil refineries, the residual effect is the oil itself, an accident causing oil to spill out to the water table, spill over to the habitat, and poisoning whatever wildlife there is.

The pipeline is not a vital concern. The rigs and refinery are. An accident over there can cause a huge environmental catastrophe, like the Rig that sank in the Atlantic.

Oh, I forgot. Wildlife is not important to you. Oil is.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 11, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly WHAT are the current effects of that oil spill?

Don't know? Media stopped covering it?

Wonder why?

And, erm, wasn't there some speculation that the oil platform had been SABOTAGED? (Once again, activists bringing about the opposite of their stated intent)

And do you notice the constant switching of tactics here?
"The pipeline is bad for the caribou!"
"Well, no, the pipeline is good for the caribou."
"Er... then the pibline is bad for some other species!"
"Really? Well name them, because studies show otherwise."
"Er-um... the REFINERY is bad, YEAH, that's the ticket!"

It's getting tired.
------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited April 11, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could have been anybody, disgruntled workers, etc. There is also speculation that poor maintenance caused the platform to go boom.

And true environmentalists wouldn't try to sabotage an oil refinery like this. Two wrongs don't make a right. Only those insane anarchists would do such a thing. Without regard for what they are trying to protect.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps