Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Reading Ain't Fundamental No More (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Reading Ain't Fundamental No More
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is good for big business then it is good for W, which means it is good for all Americans....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The above statement's total relevancy and logic content is zero. Thank you for the demonstration.

Now, the answer to Jay's question is:

1.) While redundancy in the space shuttle's systems is good, redundancy in government spending is bad.

2.) The federal government should never step in and do what state and local governments are quite capable of doing on their own. Stopping it from doing so is good.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten has a point. Why else would companies want to have their name on such programs?

It's basically advertising. Basically telling them that "hey, we're good people since we're sponsors, go buy our product". They don't actually have to do it, but since it furthers their name and contributes to more sales, who gives a rats ass? It's called Corporate Influence. While such corporate influence is good, too much is bad. Pretty soon, you'll have Pizza Hut sponsoring schools, General Motors sponsoring Libraries, and Citibank sponsoring libraries, etc. etc.

And when companies sponsor, or give some form of donation to a public institution or program, that money comes with Strings attached. That means, the institution or program has to do what the Company wants, or they lose the money. Depending on the amount of the sponsoring or donation, the company could basically "own" the public institution or program by telling them how to run day-to-day operations.

That's Corporate influence. It's happening here in Canada. And if you don't think it is a bad thing, well......

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>"And when companies sponsor, or give some form of donation to a public institution or program, that money comes with Strings attached. That means, the institution or program has to do what the Company wants, or they lose the money."

But the government does the EXACT SAME THING!

Take the new Internet Filtering Bill, that ties Library funding to whether or not the library has filters on its computers, as one example.

ALL money has strings attatched.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course all money has strings attached. In a way, this is good for keeping benevolent control over what the institution is doing.

Tell me, would you rather have a capitalist corporation, in which you have no stock ownership and thus no control over, out for almost nothing but fame and profits, dictating your libraries? Or perhaps you would like a governmental body, whom you have the power to elect and the right to speak to, guiding your educational institutions?

------------------
"Turn off every .sig!"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antagonist thus spake: "Tell me, would you rather have a capitalist corporation, in which you have no stock ownership and thus no control over, out for almost nothing but fame and profits, dictating your libraries? Or perhaps you would like a governmental body, whom you have the power to elect and the right to speak to, guiding your educational institutions?"

You failed to take into account that said capitalist corporation OWNS the politicians who we "have the power to elect" into office.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

[This message has been edited by Quatre Winner (edited April 26, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh.... now isn't that funny, eh? How funny that such a situation exists right here in Ontario.

How really funny.

------------------
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 26, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move to Saskatchewan. I think we've got a Grain Auger as our Premier. If we have a Premier at all.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antagonist:

Tell me, would you rather have a capitalist corporation, in which you have no stock ownership and thus no control over, out for almost nothing but fame and profits, dictating your libraries? Or perhaps you would like a governmental body, whom you have the power to elect and the right to speak to, guiding your educational institutions?

I'd rather have the capitalist corporation. They actually care about their money, and want to see it used efficiently. History has shown that the government, OTOH, at least when run by liberals, doesn't care how much money they waste, because it's not theirs.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Omega, if one is to look at history, there hasn't been one conservative government that wasted more money than a liberal one?

How much money did Reagan waste on weapons, again? Or was that not waste?

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O-smega doesn't seem to understand that Capitalist Corporations tend to fund more "Liberal" programs than anyone else. They don't want the populace to be kept ignorant, unlike his right wing, Neo-fascists zombies. They only want corporations to support the politicos that only meet THEIR narrowly defined poltical beliefs.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whereas the corporate bosses are beholded to naught but a few majority investors who have not naught but their own interests and greed in mind.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited April 27, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom:

How much money did Reagan waste on weapons, again?

Military spending went from ~18% of total spending to ~23% of total spending during the Reagan administration. Tax revenues went from <$500 billion to >$900 billion, adjusted for inflation. We ended up hugely in debt, yet the money wasn't spent on the military. So what was it spent on? Well, ask the Democrats. They controlled the money at the time. They controlled the House.

And since the next two posts have no intellectual content whatsoever...

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Yes they do.

It's called Puppet String Pulling, in which they use their influence on politicians to create laws that benefit corporations more than the people, the environment, etc. etc. etc.

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

As opposed to Puppet String Pulling in which the government creates regulations on companies and industry which serve no useful purpose, but increase the power of government.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps