Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Reading Ain't Fundamental No More (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Reading Ain't Fundamental No More
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's also possible, not saying it is true, guess that's why we need more "independant" types of government. Free from influence whatsoever. Free to serve the people, not just the guys with the big bucks.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

[This message has been edited by Tahna Los (edited April 27, 2001).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like a dictatorship? I'm still available...

Seriously, trying to find an influence-free government is like trying to find an especially dark spot on a black panther in the middle of the night six miles underground while blindfolded.

The one possible solution might be to drastically reduce the salaries of people in government, thus making sure that the people who get into it aren't people who are out to make their fortunes.

(One might say that the solution is to cut campaign contributions, but that just makes it easier for incumbents to stay in, because they already have recognition, and harder for new candidates to get their message out.)

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those of you who have never worked in a corporate environment who whiney on about how beneficial, loving and un-bureaucratic these gods of the sky are, clearly have a load of horse droppings in their eyes which is all the better for you to get your anti-goverment rocks off.

Government works best when it works for the common good. Which is quite different from it working least.

If you, the environment or the spotted sea otter are not on the bottom line in the mind of the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent, you might as well not exist. But remember, your corporate big brother loves you.

------------------
I'll kill you, you bloated museum of treachery!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited April 27, 2001).]

DT
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for DT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No government official should receive more than a skilled worker

------------------
"A mass of tears have been transformed to stones now, sharpened on suffering and woven into slings"
Zack de la Rocha
Rage Against the Machine

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just occured to me that we could pay elected officials absolutely nothing, and simply supply them with decent (but ONLY decent) living conditions.

No government official should receive more than a skilled worker

That's a little vague.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize that the reason government bureaus are only open until 4:30 most weekdays is because government officials are being paid very low wages. If you want better service, pay'em more.

In low level government (and even high level government) there is very little incentive driving serving the public better.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think he meant people who work for the government. I think he meant the governament themselves. The people elected to office.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Yes, I said; and you may add that they are only fed, and not paid in addition to their food, like other men; and therefore they cannot, if they would, take a journey of pleasure; they have no money to spend on a mistress or any other luxurious fancy, which, as the world goes, is thought to be happiness; and many other accusations of the same nature might be added."
--
Republic, Book IV.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't there actual pay that is the killer, it's the perks, since the pay for GS employees does have set levels. The relocation expenses for moving a few miles, the GSA cars used for all manner of things, etc...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps