Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Global Warming? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Global Warming?
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyoto treaty was created using very bad science. Most of the scientists attending have since said so-- But they served their purpose, we don't need to listen to them any more.

Siggy- Download the movie... It'll show that most of the CO is produced in China, South America, and China, and it migrates out into the ocean.

Liam, CO doesn't oxize very quickly without the presence of a catalyst. CO can be burned, actually, to oxidize it further.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, I tried to download the movie. However, everytime I did McAfee threw a warning at me that said the file had a virus in it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kyoto treaty was created using very bad science. Most of the scientists attending have since said so-- But they served their purpose, we don't need to listen to them any more.

(--)Ridiculous assumption?
Check.

(--)Outrageous claim made with no support?
Check.

(--)Statement absolutely devoid of common sense?
Check.

(------)Mindless opinions you support only because the right wing does without any independent thought whatsover?
Check.

Congratulations, Jeff. You have successfully put together an Omegapost�.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Does that US whoop thing*

You go girl!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unsubstantiated?

Found this link at www.junkscience.com

http://www.cato.org/dailys/03-30-01.html

and there's this...
http://www.sepp.org/NewSEPP/BriefingMay30.htm

And from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change itself...

quote:
"None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed [climate] changes to the specific cause of increases in greenhouse gases."

"No study to date has positively attributed all or part [of the climate change observed to date] to anthropogenic [man-made] causes."

"Any claims of positive detection of significant climate change are likely to remain controversial until uncertainties in the total natural variability of the climate system are reduced."

As a result of such manipulation of information, many in the scientific community have concluded that the report was altered to support the conclusions obtained by the "Summary for Policymakers" solely for political purposes.

Assimilate THAT.

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, global warming is occuring, regardless of who's to blame. I mean, Mt. Kilaminjario in Africa is loosing much of it's ice, and glaciers all over the world are receding.

--------------------
"Sometimes I think I might like to be evil and all, but that's not the way to think, 'ya know?"
-AA, from IRC on March 3rd, 2001

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was a useless post. Can you substantiate those claims? No? Well, then...

And even assuming that global warming IS occuring, there's no reason to think that it isn't a natural process. Heck, if the average temperature remained exactly constant every year, I'd think more people would be convinced of an intelligent designer, wouldn't you? By your guesses at the method of planetary formation, the temperature SHOULD change. If it's a natural process, why should we bother about it?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sooo, if asteroids were going to collide with the Earth (naturally), then we shouldn't bother about it?

If the temperature WAS rising (naturally), then we shouldn't do anything about it, even if we'd end up with an average temperature of 40 degrees C within a couple of decades?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how long have they been predicting such dire temperature changes? Again, they were predicting the exact opposite thirty years ago. These people have no credibility.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

That wasn't my point. You said:

"If it's a natural process, why should we bother about it?"

Implying that we should let all natural processes happen, and not do anything to fight them. I am saying that if you believed that the natural processes were bad, and might, say, actually kill you (personally), would you do anything about it?

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Quite right, my statement was unclear. I should have said that if it's a natural process, then why should we bother worrying about our CO2 emmisions? If the planet's going to boil us all anyway (a massive, unsubstantiated assumption), then what little CO2 we put out will make little difference. We'd need to figure out some way to actively LOWER the temperature. How's a nuclear war sound?

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"These people have no credibility."
-Omega on scientists

Y'know, we really must put together a book of these things.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omegisms?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans have been altering the Earth for tens of thousands of years to their needs and expectations. Will this result in a decrease in our ability as a species to live and breed? I don't know.
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do realize, T_T, that your sentence was out of context?

That should be referenced as -Omega on scientists who predict catastrophic global warming who also predicted catastrophic approaching Ice Age 20-30 years ago.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps