Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » the quality of the american education system... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: the quality of the american education system...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of the SAT, it's just a test put out by a private organization. Many universities find it useful to have their prospective students take this test. The ACT is a similar thing, graded on a scale of 36.

BTW, I just got my SAT results back. 800 verbal, 790 math. 1590. Fifteen-frikin'-ninty. I'm happy.

Of course, the slight problem is that the school I want to go to is one of the ones that Jeff couldn't think of. They base entry on the ACT. Though my 34 from last year ought to be sufficient.

As to exams, they aren't standardized, so far as I know. They're just a MAJOR test, that you take at the end of the year. Not every year, from what I understand of local schools, but your first through third years of high school. It's basically to see if you actually know the material.

Tahna:

Why oppose it in the first place?

Why would teachers' unions oppose testing? Perhaps they don't want it known that the vast majority of them CAN'T TEACH? Just a thought.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 1590?! *passes out on the floor* And I thought my 1420 on the PSAT was good. *woeful expression*

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... PSAT? That's graded on a scale of 240. Buh?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
34? Fuck. You must have cheated. No way you did better than I did... *LOL*

And I think "ACT" stands for "American College Test".

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book-smart does not equal smart.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

Knowledge is what you've learned.

Intelligence is how well you learn.

Wisdom is how you use what you learn.

--------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pedantic: Book smart, but not practical. An SAT vocabulary word given and tested by my English teacher last year. Ironic, no?

And about the PSAT scores:

If you break the PSAT down into Verbal, Math, and Language (or whatever that third part is), if you add your verbal and math scores, multiply that by 10, you get your equivalent SAT I score. So, if the PSAT were an SAT I, I would have gotten a 1420. 80 (800) verbal, 62 (620) math.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would teachers' unions oppose testing? Perhaps they don't want it known that the vast majority of them CAN'T TEACH? Just a thought.

Omega, that was a RHETORICAL Question.

Why else would I put all that stuff about professional testing?

But I wouldn't go as far as saying that the majority can't teach. I will say that a significant portion of the teachers are unqualified in the first place.

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a guy who got a 1600 on his SAT's.

Now he's working in a discount video store.

I, on the other hand, got a modest 1320, with influenza.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they have these SAT's ACT's etc online. I'd like to see just how hard they are & what they entail.
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if we have to take them in Canada, i think there might be an equivalent of them here.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

Omega
Member # 91

Fabrux told me that in NB, college entrance is based on standardized state tests called exams. Of course, that's just public schools. What private schools do, I have no idea.

As for the ACT and SAT being available online, not in their original forms. The test is copyrighted. You might find an example test somewhere, though.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It applies to all schools. Universities have the same entrance criteria for students from both Public and Private Schools, if the Private Schools are recognized by whatever state/provincial legislation there is.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say that...

I said that we have PEs (provincial exams) that we have to take in grade 11 for math and english. If you don't pass the english PE, well, you have to stay in HS an extra year at least to pass English 11 and English 12. I don't know if there's anything that has to be taken for entry into secondary education.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps