Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » WE WILL BE CLOSED JULY (fill in blank) FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WE WILL BE CLOSED JULY (fill in blank) FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing Jonas is referring to Argentina's Independence Day, seeing as that's where he's from. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JefftheCard... you just won me twenty bucks. That was how much I bet a friend that those would be the FIRST words out of your mouth.

Congratulations, your indoctrination is complete.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'OH! Wrong freaking thead!

*move on*

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JefftheCard... you just won me twenty bucks. That was how much I bet a friend that those would be the FIRST words out of your mouth.

FoT: considering that the Founding Fathers were racist, sexist, et al, why was it surprising? Oh, but you left, "hipocritical" off the list.

Let's see ... who owned slaves? Washington and Jefferson, right off the top of my head.

I'm not sure if they actually hated women, but they certainly didn't push for equal rights for women to vote et al. And how many of them had out of marriage affairs? Jefferson, again, right off the top of my head, with ... one of his slaves, wasn't it?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly the founders were not angels and correction of historical myth is important.

Good history will recognize the collective and individual accomplishments AND the collective and individual foibles.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see ... who owned slaves? Washington and Jefferson, right off the top of my head.

Yes, but they did it because it was the only moral option open to them. The other choice would have been to release all the slaves immediately, before educating them. If they'd done that, then they all either would have died, or they would have been claimed or tricked and sold right back into slavery. Unacceptable. The welfare of the slaves was the primary concern, and the best thing their owners could do by them was to give them the best education possible, and then free them. Exactly what Washington and Jefferson did.

And how many of them had out of marriage affairs? Jefferson, again, right off the top of my head, with ... one of his slaves, wasn't it?

Sally Hemmings, and no, he didn't. The kid of scandal wasn't his. Nor was the second kid. Now the third kid was a genetic match, but considering he was born years after the (false) claims about the first being Jefferson's kid first broke into a scandal, it seems more likely that it was one of his male relatives in the area. His brother and five nephews are distinct possibilities.

In fact, the only presidents that I know of that had extra-marital affairs were FDR, JFK, and Clinton. Grover Cleavland wasn't too moral, either, but he at least married the girl he (maybe) got pregnant.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You left Andrew Jackson off that list.

Stop being a slavery apologist. Welfare for slaves? By making them work in the fields and live in shacks? Sorry, that is in no way "moral."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackson? Haven't heard about that one.

Apologist? I apologize for nothing, because I did nothing wrong. Tell me: what was the better alternative? What would YOU have had Jefferson and Washington do that was so much better than what they did? Release the slaves immediately? Because we've already established that they would simply have died for lack of food, or else been taken advantage of and sold right back into slavery, probably to a far more unpleasant owner. Thus again I ask, what's your proposal that's be so much better?

Welfare for slaves? By making them work in the fields and live in shacks?

A) You know nothing about the conditions in which the slaves in question lived. Don't presume that you do.

B) A couple decades of service in exchange for the education that is the only way that the slaves and their decendents will ever be free for any length of time. Sounds like an equitable deal, especially when there's not a better one to be made or found by either party.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Oh yes, Andrew Jackson. Even admitted it in an editorial ... (if Bill had done the same, the Republicans probably wouldn't have had the support to pursue an impeachment). Hardly the only President to have an affair ... or politician. Packwood, Gingrich ... ring a bell?

As for slave living conditions ... well, I might now know first-hand how slaves were kept, but www.mountvernon.org has a pretty good idea. Read:

quote:
The slaves living at the Mansion House farm were housed in communal quarters. The House for Families, pictured on the left, was used until 1793. Archaeologists excavating the site 200 years later uncovered many objects which helped us discover how slaves in the House for Families lived.

Some slaves lived above their place of work, such as the kitchen or carpentry shop. Others lived in quarters adjacent to the greenhouse. Although we know a great deal about many of the slaves living on the estate, the records, for the most part, do not tell us how the living spaces were assigned, or who lived in each quarter.

Slaves living on the outlying farms were not housed as well as those on the Mansion House farm. They lived in small wooden cabins, with dirt floors, which were drafty and hard to keep clean. A Polish visitors described these cabins as "more miserable than the cottages of our peasants."

Now, George Washington, great man that he might've been, sure wasn't exactly out to improve the slave's lives. Okay, yes, he allowed slaves to inter-marry on the plantation. But the simple fact of the matter is, when he inherited Mount Vernon, he inherited ten slaves. When he died, he owned 123 of the 316 slaves living at Mount Vernon. He didn't educate them besides the tasks they needed to work on Mount Vernon: milling, coopering, blacksmithing, carpentry, and shoemaking. He didn't pay them. They didn't exactly have the best housing conditions. Sure, he freed them ... after he died. Why not before he died? Guess he just couldn't live without them.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Sounds like an equitable deal?

Let's look at the equity of this "deal."

• I'm forceably removed from freedom and from my family.
  • I'm sold into chattel and raced based slavery.
  • I'm kept out of the education system.
  • I'm kept out of the political system.
  • I'm kept out of the dominate cultural arena in a systemic way that precludes any advancement on my part.

And now you want to work for free for the same people who kept me in slavery?

Yeah, that's sounds like a great deal for me! Sign me up for that!

Or maybe you, Omega, you should sign up for a couple of decades of involuntary service. That's an equitable deal in exchange for your paultry education.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

Did you actually form a thought while creating that post, Jay? Or perhaps you didn't read MY posts, and just assumed you knew what you were talking about because you read other people's comments on mine? Because your post has nothing to do with mine.

And now you want to work for free for the same people who kept me in slavery?

No, I'm suggesting that you work for people who are getting you OUT of slavery. If you'd read my posts, used your brain while doing so, or cared to respond to what I actually said instead of what you WISH I said, then you'd have realized that there was no alternative that got the slaves out of slavery faster AND KEPT THEM OUT than the one exercized by Jefferson and Washington.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Ohhhhh....so YOU work for AN extra 20 years FOR someone else.

Yes, THAT explains it ALL doesn't IT.

This works then:

• I'm forceably removed from freedom and from my family.
  • I'm sold into chattel and raced based slavery.
  • I'm kept out of the education system.
  • I'm kept out of the political system.
  • I'm kept out of the dominate cultural arena in a systemic way that precludes any advancement on my part.
  • I owe the system so much for that treatment that I should work for free another 20 years.

THAT'S entirely EQUATIBLE isn't IT. NO, that is profoundly stupid.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Supply and demand.

Washington, Jefferson, and others had demand for slaves. Shit, look how much the slave population at Mount Vernon increased. Because of this demand (yes, part of it was satisfied by births within the slave population, but not all), more ships went out to Africa, captured some natives (yes, with help of other African tribes), and carried them back to the U.S.

It's all one big, vicious circle, and for all their noble talk about how bad slavery was, they still bought slaves. They helped perpetuate the system, and if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

No offense, Omega. But as far as slavery goes, they certainly weren't part of the solution. Why not free the slaves once they had their "education?" Why not send them back to Africa? Because these great, noble, Founding Fathers that you idolize weren't perfect, and stop trying to cover up their not-so-nice aspects.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, cut YOUR FOUNDER FATHERS some slacks.

Yes, maybe they did own slaves, but it is NORMAL, and the RIGHT THING for them to do so in their period of time. Time move forwards and things do friggin' changes, stop applying our standards on them.

And maybe THEY ARE doing a favour for their slaves! Generalization does not apply to everyone, and maybe they knew better and treated their "slaves" as good as any other normal, white people.

Yes, maybe they do have affairs, but like I said, things are different back then, monogamy ain't that big a deal in their time.

And don't forget, without them, you won't even be talking about all this shit in this very board right now.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps