Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » ...and you think U.S. teens have problems? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ...and you think U.S. teens have problems?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50900&id=20010727075 4000271731

13 years old, and she's taken part in the ritual murders of 48 people, and murdered a 2-year-old on her own.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thus proving everything's A-OK in the USA!
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh? according to the 2000 International Human Development Report (HDR), comparatively, everything is fine in the US. According to the HDR in 2000 for crime, here are the rankings:

Top:

#01) Canada
#02) Norway
#03) United States
#04) Australia

other countries that might interest you:

#10) United Kingdom
#12) France
#14) Germany
#20) New Zealand

The rankings are based on People incarcerated, juvenile convictions, Total recorded crimes, drug offences, rapes, and recorded homicides.

the statistics and rankings are based of percentage and population, so countries with larger populations don’t get their occurrence numbers compared to countries with smaller populations. Its quite interesting. In example, according to these statistics, in a random sampling of 100 teens from any country, the US is least likely to have a large number of convicts (excluding Canada and Norway, of course).

These statistics and a whole bunch of others can be found at

http://www.undp.org/hdro/highlights/statistics.html

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

MorphStar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The United States - third place? That's rediculous.
Plus Norway can't possibly have second place, no one lives there! (ok, that was kind of harsh but true)

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It only seems rediculous because it goes against what you've been told by media and the pundits.

What you have to remember are two things:

1: The media would tell you that purple pandas were invading from Neptune if it would keep you watching and them getting ratings, and lucrative commercial deals.

2: If the problems that the pundits pretend to rail against actually went away, they'd be out of a job and reduced to irrelevancy. They don't WANT you to think that the problem isn't big.

MorphStar
Ex-Member

Sure.

I'm suprised there are no third world countries in the list.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, what? Huh?

Canada is the worst in crime?

When did this report come out? I have never heard of such a thing.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MorphStar
Ex-Member

I agree,

Canada can't possibly have the worst crime level in the entire world!

Rusland would be my guess, or the US.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halt! Halt! I think you people have it backward, the statistics rate countries from "best to worse" not "worse to best", note that....Wes says

quote:
Its quite interesting. In example, according to these statistics, in a random sampling of 100 teens from any country, the US is least likely to have a large number of convicts (excluding Canada and Norway, of course)

Of course, we don't know the criteria used...but we can "still" American bash as long as we live in Canada (or Norway)

MorphStar
Ex-Member

So generally you're saying the crime is worse in holland and the US is one of the countries with the least crime? lol Disneyland stats.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: MorphStar ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Well, the Dutch do have all those tulip smugglers to worry about...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S. has less then 5% of the world's population, but contain 25% strong of the world's prison population.

That dosn't sound "A-Okey" to me.

Beside, U.S. is a developed G8 country, with a standardized education system, same cannot be said for Nigiria.

The conparison cannot be made to justify the "safeness" of U.S. teenagers.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A large part of our prison problem is who we throw in jail. We clear out convicted murderers to make room for people who are addicted to drugs. Obviously, our "war on drugs" is a dismal failure, has been since it's inception, and needs to be re-evaluated.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that anit-drug...umm...what the hell was that word? anti-drug somthing... it's too late to be doing any thinking. anti drug thingies aren't doing much. even in Canada it's bad. people in my town are even thinking of putting up needle drop off points for the druggies to put thier needles. instead of throwing them on the ground, If i were a druggie (i'm not by the way) i would probably be too stoned to care. i heard on the news that people were putting something into thier crack to get a bigger high.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

MorphStar
Ex-Member

Sounds good Da_Bang, crack isn't illegal in Canada or something? If there were needle drop points the cops could easily pick up the junks there ...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps