Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I have a wish. It's not a big wish, just a little wish. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I have a wish. It's not a big wish, just a little wish.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my wish. I wish that my president would refrain from saying how the country would be different if he was a dictator.

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it."Pres. George W. Bush, on the last six months in office

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mouth that roared.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only dictator we have to worry about is Rob ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, definitely.

Rob is the biggest threat. Let's sic the entire FBI on him now!!!

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, let's! He's probably got a secret base and an army of shock troops carefully hidden beneath his library. Move aside a bookcase, and there's a hidden entrance.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, dictatorship IS simpler. So at least W. is telling the truth.

In a Republic, you have to deal with various Congressmen's blathering and stalling, and the 'opposition,' and special interests, and polls, and public opinion, and other such nonsense which only keeps you from doing what needs to be done and slows the process of government.

In a Dictatorship, you just order it and it gets done. And if anybody stands in the way, you shoot them. And if public opinion goes against you... well, you don't let it, as you make sure the media always praises your vision and far-thinking programs... or you purge the media.

It's BAD, but it IS more efficient.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

On the other hand ...

If Bill Clinton had said something along those lines, the GOP and its unofficial spokespersons (including dear old Rush) would've been screaming about how he was planning on using the military to sieze absolute control and disband the Congress.

Truthful or not, it's an inappropriate thing for the President -- as Commander in Chief of the Army, Air Force and Navy -- to say.

It's funny when someone here (*cough*Rob!*cough*) talks about what he'd like to do as dictator -- he sounds like he'd be a rather reasonable dictator. But, then again, unless Rob's got a secret staging area underneath his library with an army of shock troopers, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon ]

Which gives me an idea for a story ... "The Librarian's Secret Army" ... about a middle-school age kid who discovers the mild-mannered librarian is planning on world domination, and has a secret base in underground caverns with a whole shock army and ... well, who knows?

Then again, Dubya also got shit for saying the military coup in Pakistan was a good thing. While certainly it was a good thing, the President (well, at the time, Presidential candidate) shouldn't be publicly endorsing the military overthrow of the elected government -- no matter what the reasons behind it. It sends the wrong message.

This, of course, is all my opinion. But George should be more careful of what he says. Because, again, a lot of the country is still rather bitter with the man ...

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: MeGotBeer ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree. The supposed (even if fraudulently elected) leader of the Republic ought not to say such things.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, Bush won the election in accordance with the laws of this country. Sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes while singing "I'm not listening" isn't going to change that.

You're, what, thirty? It's about time you stopped living in your little fantasy world and looked at facts. Bush won. Get over it and grow up.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HUMPERDINCK!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't some famous smart guy (I think it's Einstein) said that we're ruled by stupid people because of Demacracy?

I tend to agree with him, I think the majority of voters are too dumb to think for themselves, instead they're fooled by the elabrate web of media mis-informations.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Riiiight.

Your post is worthless Omega off the point and is ignored. Post something on topic or shut up. Otherwise you make yourself look like an imbecile...more so than normal anyway.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Was Dubya just trying to make a joke when he said that? If so, I don't see the problem. I don't like him, either, but that doesn't mean I have to make a big deal out of every little thing he says...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If Bill Clinton had said something along those lines,

...it would never have been reported.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
...it would never have been reported.

Oh, right, I forgot: the liberal media would cover it up. Proof positive that the Republican party is filled with paranoid imbiciles who conveniently ignore each and every occasion when the media goes after Democrats (they must've slept through the Lewinsky thing) ... who only hear Jay Leno or Letterman when they make Republican jokes, and not the Democratic jokes ... who firmly believe that Saturday Night Live has never impersonated a Democratic President.

Paranoid.

Anyway -- back to the point.

Omega, Jay's right. Either post on topic, or don't post at all. I'm sick and tired of hearing you screaming about shit. What makes it even worse, is that you scream and bitch about how the Supreme Court is overstepping its Constitutional role, yet you say nothing when in doing so (by your definition) is gets Dubya into office. Your position is clearly hipocritical, and, dude, you need to get a life. Or get laid. Or some friends, maybe ... ? Either way, get over yourself.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps