Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Here's where I'm comin' from! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Here's where I'm comin' from!
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the tale begins in the summer of '96. My church leaders from around the world came together in Denver, CO. for our every-four years meeting.

At this meeting, my once highly respected Bishop, the Rev. Judith Craig, signed a letter along with 14 other clergy stating their views on homosexuality. This letter stated that it was their belief that a homosexual should be able to become members in my church and that they should be able to become clergy themselves. This was not taken very well by the my conference, and esp. my district.

Our Bishop was scheduled to preach at my church the following year for our bicenntenial. There was talk of people boycotting that service and a few of the *rougher* men talked about killing her. (i did not approve of that, btw) My church a month later sent a letter to our bishop asking her to resign! We stated she no longer represented us, and that we can no longer follow her leadership.

Ever since then, we in my church have gotten very sensitive about the subject. I live on the Eastern edge of the Bible belt and the concept is sacreligious to us. I really feel sadness in my heart for my church because it is about to split again. Henry Clay said on the floor of Congress (something like), "Where ever the Methodist church has gone throughout history, the United States has done the same." This was right after the church split on the slavery issue, not long after the Civil War started.

My heart is heavy for my church and the world at large, that everyday we divide over something new, and draw a new battle line. I planned to be a pastor in my church, but theses days I'm not sure my church will be in the same form it is now. We are struggling to maintain our control over what our ancestors worked so long to build. We don't want to disappoint God for letting it go by either.

I might add more to this later, but it's 2:30 a.m. here.

"And we pray that all unity may one day be restored!"

Thank you, sorry for causing more trouble.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you go to a Catholic Church? (I'm under the impression that only Catholics have bishops.)

But I don't get it. The Catholics are tolerant of homosexuals.

------------------
"I would be delighted to offer any advice I can on understanding women. When I have some, I'll let you know."
--Picard to Data, "In Theory"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<offtopic>Ziyal, mind ICQing me? Thanks.</offtopic>
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are other Ziyal, most notably the Episcopal Church.

------------------
Even as I speak, the scourge of advertising could be heading toward _your_ town! Lock your doors, bar your windows, because the next advertisement you see could destroy your house and eat your family!
~Kent Brockman

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as an offsides, the denomination I _used_ to belong to was United Methodist. I left religion for a lot of reasons, but the main reasons I left my particular church were the political infighting, the feeling I couldn't trust anybody there, and the stone-age opinions held by many of the congregation.

*pays particular attention to the lines:*

>"There was talk of people boycotting that service and a few of the *rougher* men talked about killing her. (i did not approve of that, btw) My church a month later sent a letter to our bishop asking her to resign! We stated she no longer represented us, and that we can no longer follow her leadership."

Think about that really hard.

If a deeply-held opinion can cause such feelings of violence in the holders, particularly among supposed followers of the "Prince of Peace," that opinion is almost certainly wrong.

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited June 26, 1999).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but a church is "The House of Sinners." I'd say maybe a fourth of my congregation is actually Christian. 3/4 just kinda go, for some reason.

Everytime there is a pastor/bishop Bible study the pastors try to bring this up, cause we really don't know where she's comin' from. She ignores those questions. The reason they ask the questions is because she always preachers to them about homosexuality.

BTW, my idea was for the board of trustees to drive up to her house in Columbus and knock on the door. Have a little talk!

------------------
I love Zilla's lips ! ;)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you trust your board of trustees to actually talk AND listen, or just yell?

See, that was a problem I had at my ex-church. A lot of the folks believed "such and such was so and so, and that's it, end of discussion, no room for argument, and even if you have something logical or intelligent to say we won't listen to it anyway, or you're a stinkin' heretic and yer gonna burn in Hell." That attitude extended far beyond scripture to cover just about every facet of life.

And their main reason for holding this opinion was that that's what they were told to do. Eons ago.

Accepting things are such a way simply because people I don't know SAY so, or because that's the way it's "Always" been, or out of "tradition," I've generally found to be an unacceptable reason, for me, anyway.

Just because something is "traditional," or even "doctrinal" does not automatically make it a GOOD thing. A good examle would be that famous short story "The Lottery." Another would be things like female circumcision/mutilation as a "rite of passage."

If you have a board of trustees who actually talk and listen, though, there's some hope for your church yet. Good luck.

BTW: is there anybody else who finds it as amusing that I do that the "Nicest of the Damned" and the "Board Chaplain" have so many contrary discussions?
------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited June 26, 1999).]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Catholics are tolerant of homosexuals?! You wouldn't want to ask the pope his opinion though, he might have a heart attack and die. And remember the pope also says if you're raped and get pregnant you can't have an abortion. Great.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

I am not Catholic! I am a Methodist.

And yes, I think it's weird, and is becoming more and more of a dead end for both of us.

btw... I agree with your sig. file too

------------------
I love Zilla's lips !

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited June 26, 1999).]

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Church is too hard on homosexuals. They're people too. I really don't know why some Christians hate them and fear them and avoid them when they themselves are supposed to love. Besides, show me one Christian who's never worked through a Sunday, or had indulged in lustful thoughts, or lied, and then I'll line up with the homosexuals and abortion doctors so this guy can scream at all of us together.

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

The church isn't trying to hard on them. We're trying to treat them like everyone else. The thing is they don't even believe they're wrong. I'm sure all the adulterers in my church know what they are doing is wrong.

My local church has been trying to open a homosexual ministry since '96. The like 2 gay guys our pastor has had contact with couldn't even grasp that what they were doing was the least bit wrong. That made it impossible to go any farther with them.

*The above paragraph is not intended to offend, but to tell a story*

My belief on the matter (and this will bother a bunch of you)is (and it's an old cliche) God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Jaresh Inyo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That should make things interesting...

------------------
Josh: I think they're getting to know each other a bit too well, if you catch my drift.
Me: Oh, I agree. I think they're spending too much time together, that is of course, if you catch my drift.
Asher: I think he's *ucking her, and he's cheating on his wife, and he's risking his marriage, and if his wife finds out about it she'll leave him and take their son, and his life will be ruined. If you catch my drift...

IP: Logged
bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

It may if people take it as a personal attack, since that is not my intention.

------------------
I love Zilla's lips ! ;)

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*feels he's gonna regret this*
What's wrong with being homosexual in the eyes of the Church. And if you say it's 'cause the Bible says so, I'll have to hurt you.

------------------
Person One: "LOOK! Charles has changed his sig!"
Person Two: "Quick, call a doctor!"
the solareclipse network

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

Because of the verses that say sexual relations between anyone not a member of the oppisite sex (and species, just thought I'd cover that too ) is an adbomination (and other adjs.) to God.

And to answer what I think is your next comment Charles: Jubilee is not currently sinning this sin, because she is with you. Or at least that's my opinion.

------------------
I love Zilla's lips ! ;)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps