Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Who can you trust? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Who can you trust?
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...20 years in prison on charges of interfering with a flight crew...
Fucking up to 20 years for trying to take a piss? Give me a fucking break!

quote:
...ignored her orders and stared at her for about a minute before returning to his seat...
"Oh my God! He's gonna get us by standing there and giving us that icy stare of his!" Did he display any kind of violent behaviour? Hell no, sound to me he's just kinda surprise for people telling him when and when not to take a piss, then return to his seat WITHOUT A FIGHT!

quote:
One of the agents said he saw Bizarro give what appeared to be a "thumbs up" to another passenger
Yes, we all knew that the police never lies, ha! And the fact that only he saw it make it that much more unreliable.

quote:
...I could have held it for thirty damn minutes...
Just how old are you FOT, 20 plus a little over? The Guy is FREAKIN' 59, he's bladder ain't as good as it used to be, give him a break.

Most of all, isn't this "can't-leave-your-sit-for-30-mins" a violation of a person's constitutional rights? I seem to recall something along the line of "freedom of mobility" or something like that.

So not only that the government has taken away my right to move around, they're also telling me now when to take a piss? "Hold it right there mister, now is not the time for washroom, the government has now inform you that the next piss break is not until 30 mins later". Silly me, I should've told my bladder not to make any urine, while I'm at it, maybe I'll tell my brain to get smarter.

[ February 20, 2002, 22:45: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a stupid rule. It can take more than an hour to get off a plane and through the airport, that means you could be looking at an hour and a half dying for a piss. Plus any terrorist who's managed to get on board with the means and incentive to cause an incident is hardly going to be deterred.

All this does is cover up the fact that airport secuirty is still so lax. "It's OK, honey, flying is perfectly safe again - we can't stop the ragheads getting on the plane with their knives, but as soon as they make their move we'll know because they shoulda stayed in their seats like they'd been told."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue, I've said it before, I'll say it again. You're an idiot. The guy had time in the airport, plus the first hour of the flight to use the toilet. The only time in question was the last half an hour. The air marshalls did their job, and bravo to them.

Vogon: might want to read the article. You got some key facts wrong.

Wether or not this calls for jail-time is, however, another matter altogether.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those not consumed with complete reasoning failure would've realized some time ago that George W. Bush, John Ashcroft and many others are using 9/11 to remove their personal freedoms.

You know, Jeff, you keep saying this, and you never provide real examples. "Oh, no, it's easier for the FBI to get a wiretap on non-citizens, whom the Constitution doesn't cover! How horrible!"

Also, you're getting quite verbally abusive. Might want to be careful, Snay. We were both warned about that.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega,

As has been painstakingly pointed out to you (although I'm not surprised you didn't take notice of them, you have a habit for ignoring truth, reality, and law in favor of your own little dream world), anyone in the U.S. -- citizen or non -- is protected by the U.S. Constitution.

And your President is weakening it. Well, congratulations, Omega. Big Brother is here, and the Republican Party is responsible.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needless to say, this guy hasn't been tried or convicted YET, so whether or not he'll get jail time is still very much up in the air. I would tend to suspect he won't be punished too severely.. I mean, they let him go on his own recognizance. They generally don't do that to people they consider to be dangerous threats.

I should mention something about my 4-point post RE: the supposed new DOD office...

I plagiarized it. Took it word-for-word (actually omitted more harsh words) from a former DOD employee who posted it on a familiar 'debunking' website.

Naughty First, I shouldn'a done that. But he just said it so much better than I could have.

I notice that Rumsfeld held a press conference this morning.

If this were REAL news, one would think he'd have had to endure a BUNCH of questions about it, him being the #1 in-the-know guy about these sorts of things, and the primary news outlet on everything pertaining to the War on Terrorism, wouldn't you think?

I admit I didn't watch the whole conference, but... nada. zip, zilch zero, while I was watching.

Anyone else catch anything I missed?

Because if the press doesn't follow up on a story that's actually as HUGE as you'ns seem to think this is, they should all be fired.

[ February 21, 2002, 12:52: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It's not in their best interest. Why do they want to give fire to Conservative whackos who keep talking about the inaccuracies in the press?

I mean, c'mon. They talk about one thing too much and you yell about them not having anything IMPORTANT to do. They don't talk about something too much, you yell that they're not doing their jobs. All in all, it's a convenient little game you play, but it's not very convincing. You'd have us believe that because they didn't talk to Rumsfield about this, it must not exist. Gee, why does that sound silly?

Maybe *you* can explain why the Department of Defense said it created this office for this purpose ... instead of your current track of blaming the media for making it up. Which they didn't.

Just more info: the office is led by USAF Brig General Simon Worden and former Army Col. Thomas A. Timmes, and has a staff of about a dozen. "One of the office's proposals calls for planting news items with foreign media organizations through outside concerns that might not have obvious ties to the Pentagon, officials familiar with the proposal said."

I've said it before ... I'll say it again. The Republican Party and George W. Bush have brought Big Brother to the United States of America. I thought you guys were supposed to be opposed to that? I guess we see where you really stand.

[ February 21, 2002, 13:26: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually Rumfield got pissed off at the reporters at the Olympics because thats all they wanted to talk about.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I plagiarized it. Took it word-for-word (actually omitted more harsh words) from a former DOD employee who posted it on a familiar 'debunking' website.

This website wouldn't be hosted by the government or by a republican dupe ,eh?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, the guy had time before that, but why should he be limited by it?

And why should government have the power to tell him when and when not to go? What happened if a guy has an upset stomach, and really needed to go, should he be punished by that? Should he be foreced to remain at his shit and crap in his pants?

And why should all the passengers on the airplane needs to put their hands above their heads for half an hour?

To implement a regulation on when a passenger can go to washroom just show how ignorant and paranoid the government is. The precautions against terrorism should be taken BEFORE the terrorist even got on to the airplane.

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty", it looks to me that these Air Marshals are treating every single one of these passengers as potential terrorists until proven otherwise.

And obviously, these Air Marshals have authorities equal to that of "Judge Dread". I for one, think that a FREE COUNTRY such as US should not have that.

[ February 21, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New data, (not that this will allay the fears of any of our truly paranoid brethren, but it always helps to provide balance in reporting):

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/terrorism/0202/0221propaganda.html

Relevant quotes:
quote:
"Consistent with Defense Department policy, under no circumstances will the office or its contractors knowingly or deliberately disseminate false information to the American or foreign media or publics."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

BE: Did you know that there are certain times during which you CANNOT be allowed to use your cell phone and/or laptop computer while you're on a plane?

Better look out! They took that freedom away years ago, and you didn't even notice! They're interfering with your freedom of speech!

(Of course, they CLAIM that the interference may cause a malfunction, but how likely is that really?)

How DARE they tell you to put your tray table up, and your seat back in the full upright position! They're interfering with your right to eat and sleep when you want to! What if you're HUNGRY? What if you just eat SLOWLY and chew 32 times like grandma said? What if you're TIRED?

Gawd, sometimes I feel like a mommy talking to a ten-year-old... Timmy, we made these rules for a REASON. They're not just arbitrary things pulled out of our collective arses.

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

Cellphone and other electronics might interfere with normal airplane functions, taking a piss does not, and they do have scientific prove for it.

Personal freedom only works when you're not intruding on freedom of other people. The tray example shows that you're impeding on others, therefore it does not hold. I don't see how taking a washroom breaks interfere with others, can you?

Plus, "personal freedom" is just one of the concern I raised, how about others?

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Governments deliberately disinform their citizens. Nothing new here, really. Happens all the time.

But after 9-11 it's suddenly so much more transparent. People are finally beginning to wake up, it seems.

[ February 21, 2002, 15:45: Message edited by: Cartman ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Cellphone and other electronics might interfere with normal airplane functions, taking a piss does not, and they do have scientific prove for it.
It does when you aren't allowed to do it.
Getting out of your seat during the last 30 minutes of a flight is NOT ALLOWED, period. Doing anything that is NOT ALLOWED on an airplane IS interfering with normal airplane functions. Just not the mechanical ones.

It doesn't matter WHY you did it. It only matters THAT you did it. It doesn't even matter if you think the rule is stupid. It doesn't matter if it was for a 'good reason', which it wasn't. I will consider it an extenuating circumstance if you could PROVE that the guy had bladder control problems, (and certainly the court should, too) but then again, that would be an even BETTER reason to go BEFORE the deadline.

I mean, what, it takes only about 4 active brain cells to, when the people say "...and don't leave your seat for the last 30 minutes of the flight" think to oneself, "Jeez, I'd better go pee before that time limit hits" (y'know, you CAN pee when you don't 'have to').

[ February 21, 2002, 16:52: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps