Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The True Meaning of Islam (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The True Meaning of Islam
BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the last sermon delivered by the prophet Muhammad on the Ninth Day of Dhul Hijah 10 A.H. in the "Uranah valley of Mount Arafat" (in Mecca).

After praising, and thanking Allah he said:

"O People, lend me an attentive ear, for I know not whether after this year, I shall ever be amongst you again. Therefore listen to what I am saying to you very carefully and take these words to those who could not be present here today.

O People, just as you regard this month, this day, this city as Sacred, so regard the life and property of every Muslim as a sacred trust. Return the goods entrusted to you to their rightful owners. Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your LORD, and that HE will indeed reckon your deeds. ALLAH has forbidden you to take usury (interest), therefore all interest obligation shall henceforth be waived. Your capital, however, is yours to keep. You will neither inflict nor suffer any inequity.

O People, it is true that you have certain rights with regard to your women, but they also have rights over you. Remember that you have taken them as your waves only under Allah's trust and with His permision. If they abide by your right then to them belongs the right to be fed and clothed in kindness. Do treat your women well and be kind to them for they are your partners and committed helpers. And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste.

O People, listen to me in earnest, worship ALLAH, say your five daily prayers (Salah), fast during the month of Ramadan, and give your wealth in Zakat. Perform Hajj if you can afford to.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves.

O People, no prophet or apostle will come after me and no new faith will be born. Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behinds me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray.

All those who listen to me shall pass on my words to others and those to others again; and may the last ones understand my words better than those who listen to me directly. Be my witness, O ALLAH, that I have conveyed your message to your people."

[ February 26, 2002, 15:59: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islamism?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what's wrong with that?

Stop trying to pick a bone out of an egg!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just did. And boy was it tasty.

Got any other eggs? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Islamism is a commonly-used term to describe the particularly nasty form of allegedly Islam-based totalitarianism. Y'know, Osama and the Taliban and overthrowing the Saudi Royal Family or Mubarrak's regime in Egypt and stuff. Killing the infidel dogs. Clearly different from what Mohammed was teaching in the above little bit.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The parallels to the Sermon on the Mount are intriguing. Well posted, that sub-atomic particle! 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BE you should send that little piece to Jerry Falwell, saw him on Crossfire the other night proclaiming that Islam is a violence religion and should be wiped off the planet. What an a$$ that guy is.
He is unfortunately well politically connected and his voice does sway some. He fails to understand that his form of christianity is just as destructive as the destructive forms of Islam are. It is not usually the teaching in these books that is the problem but those who think that their way is the only way and all others should persecuted. The, either your with us or against us, argument.
This a$$ also said after Sept. 11 that it was god's retribution an america for allowing gays, other religions, abortions to flourous in the US.

I can't beleive that anyone ever takes this guy seriously, but there are moslems also spouting this kind of crap and they are also taken seriously.

[ March 01, 2002, 08:51: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I daydreamed (in history class as a matter of fact, after a night of drinking, no sleep, and suffering from a mild fever that I treated with a hardy dose of nyquil) the reactions that certain important historical figures would have if I built a time machine and brought them into the present to see the result of their actions and how horrified (or pleased) they may be after seeing it.

The results:
Stalin really was a nice guy, and Jesus had an annoying twitch. Oh, and Moses preferred MGD over Bud Light. Now that's kosher... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Move .sig!!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, the whole "everyone is equal�as long as they're Muslim�and men are more equal than women" bit is a little irritating. I'm going to have to give points to Chritianity over Islam in that Isho' at least got the generic equality thing more right.

"And it is your right that they do not make friends with any one of whom you do not approve, as well as never to be unchaste." [emphasis added]

So, then, where do all the little Muslets come from?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Islam, like Judaism, considers sex in and of itself (within the prescribed limits of marraige) to be a Good Thing.

And Christianity is hardly free from an equal-but-not-quite division between men and women.

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law."
--
1 Corinthians 14:34

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."
--
1 Corinthians 11:3

"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."
--
1 Timothy 2:12

It's a bit harder to do searches on the Qu'ran, both because of the language issues and the fact that much of Islam is based on emulating the Prophet's actions, as well as his words. Suffice it to say, like Christianity, Islam contains a pretty clear hierarcy of the genders, with men firmly on top.

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
--
The Women
Sura...er...I'm not sure. Anyway.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A decent point, Simon, though you cited Paul's thoughts on the matter while Tim was more concerned with Jesus, who doesn't really ever say a whole lot about women (other than repeating the old Jewish laws, IIRC).

To tangentize, I've never quite figured out how this Paul character ended up being so influential, anyway. I mean, in a couple of instances its arguable that his letters contradict some of Jesus' teachings (although the-bible-doesn't-contradict-itself-ever-ever-ever fundies in many cases can provide a decent counterinterpretation, usually of Jesus). But Christian theology today probably draws more from Paul's letters to every fishy-smelling port around the Mediterranean than it does from Christ's teachings as related in the Gospels. Odd for a religion called Christianity.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting point Tom I had never heard it interpretted like that before, must read Cor.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I STILL want to know if the Corinthians wrote back.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Cecil Adams address that?

http://www.straightdope.com

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we can of course debate about whether the New Testament, as it currently exists, is representative of "real" Christianity, it seems to me that, in cases such as these, we should accept whatever is considered orthodox.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps