Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The True Meaning of Islam (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The True Meaning of Islam
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I shouldn't have given "points to Christianity". I'd even reconsidered writing that, but I went ahead and put it because it sounded reasonable. What I meant was that the recording teachings of Isho' seem more reasonable to me than the recoreded teachings of Muhammad, assuming the above citation is fairly well representative. But I've never read the Quran, so I don't know...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think your gut feeling was entirely unreasonable, though, Tim. Christianity and Islam took hold in cultures that were already fairly different from each other. For one thing, early Christianity was primarily urban, while early Islam was not, and rural cultures have different concerns than urban ones.

So, it seems to me that we can't necessarily seperate the secular causes from the religious ones.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's my smoking jacket when I need it?

I suppose the people in those first-gen muslim countries already were the way they are then, socio-psychologically, and the passing of time didn't have the same effect it had in the west.

A bit of a tie-in to the rural stem of the culture/religion.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps