Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Big Business & Ze Environment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Big Business & Ze Environment
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top EPA Enforcement Official Quits, Blasts Bush Policy

Tsk, tsk, George. You've only got one planet. And you really shouldn't be so obvious about being the bitch of 'Big Business.'

[ March 16, 2002, 16:34: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't trust members of the EPA anyway. This is the same organization that didn't allow people to mow their lawns because some supposedly endangered species of rat lived there. Here is what happened. The grass grew and grew, became a fire hazard, caught flame, and the rats died, and the houses burned down.

All that for a stupid rat (which didn't survive anyway)

As for the atmosphere, let the algae take care of it. They've choked down everything else, and I think they enjoy it. Algae are what make this planet great!

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, er, huh? Rats don't live in grass, they live in nooks and crannies. And I'm sure they'd run from a loud lawn mower.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats live anywhere rats can, from houses to pit cracks to holes other animals burrowed in the lawn.

However, I think that the animal in question was a kind of 'kangaroo rat' which is entirely different from a house rat, and is more like a field mouse.

Speaking of corporations, let's look at ENRON!
Did you know Enron pushed strongly for ratification of the Kyoto treaty?

quote:
With a payoff worth billions at stake, Enron Corporation laid out millions apparently in support of the Kyoto global warming treaty.

Enron hoped to cash in on Kyoto by masterminding a worldwide trading network in which major industries could buy and sell credits to emit carbon dioxide � which some scientists and most environmentalists believe contributes to global warming.

The firm appeared to be on the verge of success when Vice President Al Gore signed the Kyoto treaty in November 1998. The treaty required the U.S. to reduce CO2 emissions by 7 percent from 1990 levels.

The Clinton Administration's interest in fighting global warming meshed with Enron's dream of huge profits from related investments. Kyoto ratification would have forced the U.S. to switch from coal-fired power plants to ones fueled by cleaner-burning natural gas. The trading surge in emission credits would have funneled cash to Enron.

When the Senate examined the potential economic impact of a global warming treaty, it voted 95-0 to urge the White House not to send it any treaty that would harm the economy.

Studies by impartial third parties show why: The Energy Information Administration, the official forecasting arm of the Energy Department, found that meeting the Kyoto limits would increase gasoline prices by over 50 percent and electricity prices by 86 percent, and decrease GDP by 4.2 percent.

A study by Dr. Stephen Brown, Senior Economist of the Federal Reserve Bank of Texas, found that under a best case scenario, reducing CO2 emissions 7 percent below 1990 levels would represent a loss of between 3 to 4.3 percent of U.S. GDP. That's $921 to $1,320 per person and $3,684 to $5,280 for a family of four. Under a worst-case scenario Kyoto would cost the average family of four $6,400 a year.

When it became apparent that Kyoto had little chance of Senate approval, Enron began seeking ways to implement its provisions through backdoor means.

CEO Kenneth Lay signed Enron onto the Business Environmental Leadership Council of the Pew Center for Global Climate Change, a left-leaning think-tank. The Pew Center has waged an expensive propaganda campaign to convince journalists that global warming is a dire threat.

Enron also joined two far-left environmental groups � the Union of Concerned Scientists and the Natural Resources Defense Council � in calling for new curbs on emitting CO2 into the atmosphere.

President Bush's political rivals have expended a fair amount of energy trying to tie the White House to Enron, but it was they and their allies who were, politically-speaking, in bed with Enron on this crucial policy question.

http://www.nationalcenter.org

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ah, I see. I see that Enron, motivated mostly by greed, pushed the Kyoto agreement. But would they have done so if there was no direct return for them?

Show me a company that does that, and I'll listen with great interest. Right now, I'd like to hear a defense for Bush allowing big business (in general, happy now?) to run rampant over the environment like a fat sixty-year old child molester on a five-year old.

And I don't hear that (the defense, that is). I just hear attempts at distraction.

[ March 13, 2002, 09:37: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no return for ANYBODY on Kyoto, except the people who take advantage of its BAD science.

Different question... how do YOU stand letting the environmentalists (mostly white, financially secure) run rampant over the poor and minorities?

quote:
A report conducted by Management Information Services, Inc. found black family income could decline by an average of $2,220 and 864,000 black jobs could be at risk. As many as 100,000 black and Hispanic businesses could also face ruin as energy costs increase and the ability to turn a profit decreases.
quote:
When you're a struggling black family already spending a larger percentage of your income on these necessities than everyone else, it leads to serious decisions. Air conditioning, heat or the convenience of a car may be sacrificed so other bills can be paid. And pray there are no medical emergencies or unexpected expenses.

Who benefits from the Kyoto Protocol? China, Russia and Brazil, among others, are exempt from it. While our nation has shown environmental concern in the past and promoted cleaner manufacturing practices and improved car emissions, countries that have not are being rewarded.

Bill Clinton once signed an executive order charging the government with promoting "environmental justice" to protect minorities from undue environmental harm.

By potentially reducing our wages, raising our cost of living, putting us out of work and destroying our businesses, the Kyoto Protocol is an environmental threat to black America. If the government is going to meet its commitment, it can make sure the Kyoto Protocol is never imposed upon us.

quote:
(John Meredith is a member of the African-American leadership network Project 21 and is a board member of two community-based non-profit organizations, a consultant for an educational organization and the national co-chairman of minority outreach for an independent election monitoring organization. He can be reached at [email protected].)
http://www.nationalcenter.org/P21NVMeredithWarming1100.html

[ March 13, 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ah, I see, now you're accusing environmentalists of being racists.

First you say "Enron = Big Business = Good Enviornmental Care!"

Then you say "Enviornmentalists = Racists!"

I can't wait to see what you're next miserable attempt will be.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Actually, you missed the point about my Enron post.

Enron = bad. (I never said they weren't)
Enron = in favor of Kyoto.

And my second post's point:

Kyoto = destruction of minority jobs = unintended but obvious consequence = bad.

Racist? No. Shortsighted and unconcerned with the consequences of their actions? Yes. Just like, or worse than, the companies they decry.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You're going to have to explain to me why preserving the environment is short-sighted. And why not enforcing those laws isn't criminal. Because, frankly, I just don't see that.

[ March 13, 2002, 12:09: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Basing a multitrillion-dollar, global, economically and socially devastating plan on science which has a 10-to-1 disapproval rate among scientists is shortsighted.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

For a librarian, you show a trend of not doing your reading. Please read the article, Rob. Not that you care, but it isn't about the Kyoto Accords.

Oh, do you feel silly now ... ?

[ March 13, 2002, 12:14: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I suppose the words 'personal' and 'professional' look somewhat alike...

Just by putting "getting" in front of one, and "being" in front of the other polarizes them remarkably! The wonders of grammatics...

Fo2: "...entirely different from a house rat, and is more like a field mouse.
Did you know Enron pushed strongly for ratification of the Kyoto treaty?"

Ha, ha, ha. [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Snay, that would mean something if I had been talking about the article.

Admittedly, the topic in the first post was not Kyoto... but you're hardly the one to complain about threads being diverted to other topics. (Neither am I, for that matter)

I brought it up because Kyoto is a non-Bush Administration example of bad environmental policy. The topic then remained open for discussion.

In other words, I semi-hijacked your thread.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

And you didn't even use a gun! [Smile] Speaking of which...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Ok, answered that there, rather than here.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps