Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hope? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hope?
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.com/news/677951.asp?pne=msn

quote:
IN TUESDAY’S Security Council session, the United States, Israel’s most powerful ally, introduced an unprecedented resolution that affirms “a vision of a region where two states, Israel and Palestine, live side-by-side within secure and recognized borders.”
That's right. "Nuke 'em Bush"'s UN team introduces the most far-reaching Middle-East peace resolution ever, the FIRST to call Palestine a state.

But we're still looking to stomp Iraq.

It's enough to drive one schizophrenic!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good, UN resolutions. That's where all the important works gets done.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I may stop bashing the UN if they can make somethig out of this.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But there already are UN resolutions about the Israel/Palestine issue. Cynical, perhaps, but I read this as nothing more than a feel-good soundbite intended for circulation in the Arab world while we're busy blowing up large sections of it.

Not that I think it's a bad idea. Far from it. And not that I think that there aren't a small handful of places that happen to be in the Middle East that need blowing up.

Statements of intent are fine and necessary things, but they're meaningless if not backed up by action (and cash).

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big wow. Someone wake me up when the US Goverment actually ignores the wrath of the Jewish-American lobby and maybe considers censuring Israel for some of the less-than-politic actions it's taken in the past. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW: Hope Lies in civilian guns.

I was listening to Neil Bortz the other day, and I heard the tale that the Holy Land (I can't remember the difference between Israel and Palestine) in its efforts to combat terrorism has decided to issue thousand of new carrying permits for guns.

Whereas, in the U.S., politicians are attempting to get anti-gun stuff to fight terrorism...

Erm, well, the trouble here is that common sense clearly shows that when guns are outlawwed, only outlaws will carry them (and that includes terrorists).

Also, it is a relatively simple matter to construct your own if you know how. (one criminal did this to prevent being traced)

As tangos delight in homemade bombs, if guns were more difficult to acquire, they'd simply make homemade guns too.

(and woe to the unarmed civilian who crosses them. Better to be prepared for war and not go to war, then to be unprepared when the enemy launches his assault)

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jews in Israel are very different from the kind of Jews you see here in America. Here, we have the 'Let me do your taxes for you' kind of Jew...& over there, they're more of the 'Hold my gun while I piss against this wall' sort of Jew." --Jon Stewart

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris,

Actually, thanks for bringing that up (now I can't be accused of hijacking the thread!)

One of the anti-gun laws you're probably speaking of was that which limited a person to one gun purchase per person per month (not calendar month, but an actual 30-day period).

In the year following the passage of the law in Maryland, gun homicides dropped by 14%. While Rob and Omega (and I'm sure you) can make a counter-claim that that doesn't prove anything, what's really interesting is the other bit.

(First some backstory). Weapons puchased in Virginia were "responsible for the majority of trackable guns seized in crimes in New York City, Boston, and Washington, DC. Prompted by this research, Virginia's one-gun-a-month law went into effect in 1995."

Now, guess which state then began providing the majority of black-weapon markets? Maryland. So Maryland passed a similar law in 1997, and guess what?

So, while you may feel free to critique anti-gun legislation as much as you'd like, it's quite clear that "mass gun purchases quickly find their way onto the black market and into the hands of inner city kids where they are disproportionately involved in illegal activities."

Article.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, although I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this issue, I think it's pretty clear that the one-gun-a-month rule is working, and should be extended to rifles and shotguns. The only possible reasons I can see to resist this are:

a) You're a criminal of some sort
b) You produce/sell guns and wish to protect your livelihood.

While I may have some sympathy for people with reason b, I don't think it can take priority over the safety of the populous.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I would assume that there would be an exemption for licenced firearms dealers.

I would assume that. I might be wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised, because limiting gun store sales to one a month would be a convenient way to drive them all out of business and thus deprive law-abiding citizens of guns, without making it look as if that's what you're doing.

But since most of 'them' aren't that clever, and since it was fairly easy to come up with that suspicion, I'll assume there's an exception.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, those who own and run gun stores can buy more then one gun a month. We're talking about the sale of handguns from gun stores to citizens, not from gun manufacturers to gun stores.

The gun stores just can't sell more then one a month to the same person.

[ March 14, 2002, 09:00: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon Stewart is a funny man. How I laugh and laugh.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(As much as I love gun threads, this is more an attempt to be sarcastic. Yes.)

"Erm, well, the trouble here is that common sense clearly shows that when guns are outlawwed, only outlaws will carry them (and that includes terrorists). "

I love it when people say this. "If red-haired people were outlawed, then only outlaws would have red hair".

"Also, it is a relatively simple matter to construct your own if you know how. (one criminal did this to prevent being traced)"

So obviously every criminal ever will make a homemade gun! Yikes! Surely it's only a few small steps from that to homemade nuclear bombs? Will Rob finally crack and kill us all?

"tangos"

I know I'm getting old, but I've never heard this word used in any context outside of fizzy drinks. What are you talking about?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

In Rainbow Six, when a bad-guy is killed, the computer says "Tango Down."

Tango = Code word for Bad Guy

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Because of course guns have made the West Bank the friendly and delightfully safe place to live it is today.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps