Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Does this new stamp look kind of SS-ish to you? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Does this new stamp look kind of SS-ish to you?
Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productDetail.jsp?OID=1003615&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

I relize that the bald eagle is a national symbol, but I honestly think the USPS is kind of pushing it with this stamp. What do you think about it?

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifty-Seven cents?! I hope they're not boostig the rate that much.

And why is this in the flameboard? Oh, I can see it now:

Rob: "The fifty-seven cent stamp eats into gun-buying money!"

Me: "Well you sleep with your gun!"

Flower Man: "I'm not MIB! I'm not MIB! Well, okay, yes I am. Don't tell Charles."

Omega: "Do you have evidence that cubic Eagles reduce crime?"

or

"The government has no right to run the postal service! Privatize! Privatize, you bitches!"

or

"Great Brataain sucks!"

Me: "You foooool!"

Vogon: "Christ I'm glad I'm British ...."

The_Tom: "Christ I'm glad I'm Canadian ..."

Tahna Los: "I will CRUSH your skull like a puny tin can!"

Ultra Magnus: "I want to have Dolph Lundgren's Great Grandchildren. And color my car with a crayon. Yes."

PsyLiam: "Don't you know ANYTHING about British Geography?"

Charles: "...!"

Jay: "Here's a relevent link putting the blame square on Bush..."

[ March 19, 2002, 21:11: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll note that the "category" listed for it is "additional postage". Presumably, it is not supposed to be a standard-price stamp.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom, I hope I get royalties on that [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it resembles the Silver Surfer much at all. For one thing, he's silver.

And a surfer.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said it looked like the Surfer? Are you mad?

And yes, it does look SS to me.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're asking me if I'm mad?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's what my Flameboard posts can be condensed down to. I was wondering.

*looks at stamp* Jawohl! Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Schrub!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ni!

Sol: Well who said it den?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:

Whoa. Where can I get a copy of this? [Smile]

[ March 20, 2002, 08:02: Message edited by: Flower Man ]

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the SS and the Nazis in general were quite possibly the scariest and most evil group since the Nephilim, the one thing they did right was design uniforms and insignia. Nobody wears black, red and silver like the SS, I'll tell yah.

I don't necessarily think of Nazism when Ilook at the stamp...especially not with the text under it. I just think Art Deco.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim: Think about the initial letters of "Silver Surfer". Then look at the thread title.

BTW, when I showed the stamp to my roommate, before I even mentioned why I was showing it to him, he immediately put one hand up, two fingers of his other hand under his nose, and did a Schultz-esque "I know nussink!" So apparently it looks Nazi even w/o suggestion. :-)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the German Eagle usually looked more like a real eagle, I'll have to agree that the eagle on the stamp is much more DECO than NAZI.

[ March 20, 2002, 13:28: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That may be so. However, that art-deco style is reminiscent of Nazi stuff, and they used an eagle as a symbol, so it isn't very surprising that an art-deco eagle would make one think "Nazis", regardless of whether the Nazis ever used a decoration like it or not.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps