Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Would-be terrorist backs out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Would-be terrorist backs out
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://my.aol.com/news/news_story.psp?type=1&cat=0600&id=0205301140550159

quote:
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Thauriya Hamamreh changed her mind about carrying out a suicide bombing when orders to disguise herself in provocative clothes for the attack in Jerusalem made her do some soul-searching.
The petite, headscarfed 25-year-old Palestinian woman told her story to Israeli journalists from a prison cell where she has been kept since Israeli forces arrested her on May 20.

Hamamreh, a devout Muslim, said her handlers in the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, an armed group linked to President Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction, wanted her to disguise herself as a modern Israeli woman so she would not raise suspicion.

"They wanted me to have my hair loose, wear sun glasses and makeup and tight clothes. I said no because it's against my religion," the Maariv newspaper quoted her on Thursday as telling reporters.

[ May 30, 2002, 15:19: Message edited by: First of Two ]

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"They wanted me to have my hair loose, wear sun glasses and makeup and tight clothes. I said no because it's against my religion."
What does the Koran say? "Thou shalt not wear sunglasses and makeup!" ? [Wink]

--------------------
Signature.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once AGAIN, the DAY is SAVED by....er....Fundamentalism?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Israeli Intelligence has only managed to unearth one potential suicide bomber, and only by the time she'd decided not to go through with it. . . And the whole "Make Babies, Not Jihad" line, I mean, hello? Mossad brainwashing?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I see the thread-fodder, here, but anyway: the Koran says to dress "moderately," which is rather similar to certain Christian doctrines about modesty, and which yields an equally diverse number of interpretations. (Think Southern Baptists vs. Mennonites.)
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOT you post this but make no comment what was your reason for posting it?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To see what our reactions were.....

Israel would want to get this out to the public ASAP, in the hopes that others might be swayed also....

The point is on your head....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My reaction was similar to Shik's.

Anyway, it sure makes it look as though all the Muslims have been saying that the actions of the extremists are against Islam have been telling the truth. Some.

This lady seems to be of a smarter breed of religious persuasion... but unfortunately not quite smart enough to back out of killing innocents just because it's wrong.

"I can happily kill all these people... I just can't wear polyester while doing it!"

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course First conveniently clipped off the following paragraphs, where this woman does indeed note that she began to doubt the "righteousness" of killing innocents for reasons other than issues with L'Oreal of Paris.

quote:
A day before the planned attack, Hamamreh began pondering the "righteousness" of the task and whether she would be accepted as a martyr in paradise because she volunteered mostly for personal reasons, including feelings of social isolation after being rejected by a man she had hoped to marry.

"I started thinking that I would be killing babies, women and sick people and imagined what it would be like if my family were sitting in a restaurant and someone bombed them," she said.

Hamamreh skipped the transportation that had been arranged to take her from the West Bank city of Nablus to Jerusalem and instead went to her aunt's house in Tulkarm where Israeli troops, acting on intelligence information, arrested her.

If she had gone through with the attack, she would have been part of a growing trend of Palestinian women opting to become suicide bombers in a 20-month-old uprising against occupation.

Four Palestinian women have carried out suicide bombings including Wafa Idrees, a medic whom relatives said wanted to avenge Israel's killing of Palestinians. Idrees's husband had divorced her for not being able to have children.

"They think what they are doing is something that will contribute positively to the liberation of their country," said Palestinian sociologist Nader Said from Bir Zeit University.

"These women are fed up with occupation, it's an everyday ordeal for them and they can do nothing about it."

Idrees killed an 81-year-old man who was on his way to buy paints for his art hobby at a store in Jerusalem in January.

Said said some of the suicide bombers, men and women, were socially isolated -- such as one bomber who suffered from epilepsy -- and were trying to gain social acceptance.

"Many of them feel powerless in all other aspects of their life but now...they can change reality, they can prove to their mothers and fathers and schoolteachers that they are worth something," he told Reuters.

[ May 30, 2002, 23:03: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Said said..."

Hee.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The_Tom:

Hey, I provided the link. It's not as though I was HIDING the rest of the article.

And while yes, she may have developed that rationalization later (or may just be telling the press that now that she's incarcerated - folks in jail, they fib sometimes), that doesn't change the fact that her original reason for backing out was the whole clothing thing.

If she's sincere, that's good.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe she didn't have the guts or the loose screws to blow herself up, so basically she said "naah, it didn't feel right", much like people backing out of bungee-jomping and such.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been bungee-joming, is it fun?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is funny when
Your attempt as sassing leaves
Us giving you sass.

I've never been Bungee-Joing either. If you're going to be smarmy, make sure you get it right.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps