Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Air FatAss flight 217 now boarding at gate 12..." (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Air FatAss flight 217 now boarding at gate 12..."
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heavy Charge For Oversized Fliers
Reuters

DALLAS (June 19) - Bigger may not be better at Southwest Airlines Co.

Passengers whose love handles cannot fit between the arm rests of Southwest's seats will be charged double for flying on the low cost-carrier, the company said Wednesday.

The airline, which does not have first or business class sections with larger seats, said the policy has been in effect for some time, but it will be more strictly enforced starting next week.

Starting next Wednesday, its ''people of size'' policy will require passengers who need seat-belt extensions or cannot lower the arm rests on their seats to purchase two seats if they are flying on a plane near or at capacity.

''If you consume more than one seat, you will be charged for more than one seat,'' said spokeswoman Beth Harbin.

When the plane is not crowded, a larger passenger can apply for a refund for the second seat, she said.

Southwest said that about 90 percent of the letters it receives on the issue have been from passengers complaining that their seating has been encroached upon by larger neighbors. The airline said one of the top complaints it receives are from passengers who say they were ''sat on'' during their flight.

The airline was sued eight years ago on the issue by a larger passenger forced to buy a second seat and the case was dismissed, Harbin said.

The airline said the move to more strictly enforce the policy was prompted by its decision to stop giving out its quirky plastic boarding passes on a first-come, first-served basis to passengers at its departure gate.

Southwest, which does not have assigned seating, is starting to dispense paper boarding passes instead, which are given out at Skycap counters, ticket gates and at departure gates.

Starting next week, ticketing agents will be asked to show greater discretion in enforcing the people of size policy when assigning the paper boarding passes.

Reut11:47 06-19-02

Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you can get into the problem of whether or not it is a medical condition, persecution for such medical condition, etc.....

But for lazy ass people, go get'em....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Starting next week, ticketing agents will be asked to show greater discretion in enforcing the people of size policy when assigning the paper boarding passes.
How such a policy can be carried out "discretely" is beyond me.

I've got mixed feelings about this. It borders on discrimination, that much is clear.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose ground staff have to look busy to avoid having to implement any new security measures. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've got mixed feelings about this. It borders on discrimination, that much is clear."

Borders? It IS discrimination. But discrimination against lard arses, so that's okay.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with this policy. One should pay for the number of seats one uses, and unfortunately, since most large people do not volunteer to do so, a mandatory policy is needed. I say most because a very large uncle of mine is actually polite enough to pay for two seats when he flies.

Now, to take care of mothers who hold their babies on planes . . .

[ June 19, 2002, 18:39: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Please stow your children safely in the overhead compartment..."

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
"Please stow your children safely in the overhead compartment..."

Only if it is sound-proof.

And remember, children may shift during flight so please be careful when opening the overhead bin, and please double-check to make sure the child you take is yours.

[ June 19, 2002, 22:41: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right-oh... Here's hoping the next time when I go 5 pounds overweight on my luggage, I can point to some lard-ass who checked-in ahead of me and tell the delightful check-in person that I'll be responsible for less fuel consumption than he will.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If you consume more than one seat..."

Maybe if they had larger bags of peanuts, they wouldn't have this problem...

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel this is discriminatory at all. As was said before... you use two seats, you pay for two seats. In this way, I avoid having a flabby, arm waddle laying on my ribs the whole flight.

It's not being mean, it's just the truth. Some people's weight is in fact due to a medical condition. But the majority of people simply let themselves get that way. And I'm sorry, but people who have paid for a relatively comfortable flight shouldn't have to put up with it.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to help out the airline industry. I hate the airline industry. Classic case of promising more than you can deliver and short changing customers every chance you get. I'm trying to help myself. Flying is uncomfortable enough.

But you're right, there's really no way to discreetly do this. No matter what, it's going to come down to someone saying, "Look... you're huge. You take up two seats, and we're going to make you pay for two seats."

Oh, and "People of Size Policy"? Pleease.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can double up skinny people on one seat can you pay half?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as they don't touch me during the flight.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to admit, Americans are funny about personal space. Except in certain situations (concerts, rush hour, evacuations) we don't want anyone we don't know within, say, half a meter of us whethere they're fat, skinny, short, tall, ugly, or owner of a fantastic set of jugs.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I guess that's what happens when weird diseases run rampant in your society [Smile]

Though I have to admit, the way the person looks has something to with it. If Jennifer Aniston was sitting next to me on the plane... it could be 95 degrees and Bayou humid, and I wouldn't mind so much if her shoulder bumped up against mine the whole flight. However, there are no circumstances that I can imagine in which I would find it acceptable for a 300 pound, sweaty dude's marbled flesh to rub against mine.

Does that make me wierd? I don't think so...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps