Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The Eagle Has Crash Landed (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Eagle Has Crash Landed
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
No idea if such a kit even exists. You'd have to replace the entire engine and much of the car's infrastructure supporting it. In the mean time, there are neat stop-gaps like Ars Technica: Honda Insight

Lovely, but I'm not giving up my Saturn. And I know it exists because I saw it on an episode of "Knight Rider" once, so there!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
[QUOTE]Before reading this thread, I had claimed to a friend that Warcraft III had some incredibly cheesy lines, and that no real person would ever talk in such a fashion.
I was wrong.

Strong words for strong convictions...I assume you'd also find cheesy such famous lines as "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country...", "Give me liberty, or give me death...!", and such famous moments as the drawing of the line at the Alamo.

THAT'S the problem...we've forgotten the profound truths of such sayings and such acts. The evils of the world have forgotten their fear of the strength of good. Even now, after 9/11, we have only partially woken from our stupor of everyday existance.

The greatest challenge of the new century lies before us...to take up the Standard of Right and say to all the forces of darkness: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" This our grandfathers did, and now this we must do as well. We must not tarry, we must not hesitate, we must not falter...and, if need be, we must stand alone because it is the right thing to do!

I'll leave you with this parting thought (taken from my favorite movie), though I suppose you'll find it cheesy too. But if more people believed and lived the truth of these words, then the world would be a better place:

Inside the table's circle,
Under the sacred sword,
A knight must vow to follow,
The code that is unending,
Unending as the table ---
A ring by honor bound.

A knight is sworn to valor.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His strength upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

The right can never die,
If one man still recalls.
The words are not forgotten,
If one voice speaks them clear.
The code forever shines,
If one heart holds it bright.

*edit/postscript Here's some quotes from a West Wing episode that I just recalled that ought also apply here. I just wish our leadership had come out with words (and deeds) half as strong*

�I am not frightened. I�m going to blow them off the face of the earth with the fury of God�s own thunder."
"Let the word ring forth from this time and this place. You kill an American, any American, we don�t come back with a proportional response, we come back with total disaster!"
"Did you know that 2000 years ago, a Roman Citizen could walk across the face of the known world free of the fear of molestation. He could walk across the earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words �civus romanus�: I am a Roman citizen. So great was the retribution of Rome universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens. Where was Morris� protection or anyone else on that airplane? Where was the retribution for the families? Where is the warning to the rest of the world, that Americans shall walk this earth unharmed, lest the clenched fist of the most powerful nation in all mankind comes crashing down on your house?"
All quotes by President Bartlet (Martin Sheen) from the West Wing episode Proportional Response

[ July 14, 2002, 13:16: Message edited by: darkwing_duck1 ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love America too! Powerful and Great!

GO USA GO USA GO USA!!

Americans are NOT ASSHATS! NO!

*Cleans Darkwing's Patriot Jizz off the American Masturbational Podium*

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Say the population of Muslims in China, Thailand, Indonesia, etc. bs. the Middle East.
I can't vouch for the accuracy of these figures, but, in four countries which we could vaguely call Southeast Asian (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia), there are about 515 million Muslims.

In three countries more or less in the Middle East (Turkey, Iran, Egypt), there are about 176 million Muslims.

Again, far from comprehensive numbers, but I would be surprised if there were another 339 million people in the entire Middle East.

http://www.duke.edu/~css3/islam/stats.html

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus Pym:
I love America too! Powerful and Great!

GO USA GO USA GO USA!!

Americans are NOT ASSHATS! NO!

*Cleans Darkwing's Patriot Jizz off the American Masturbational Podium*

I'm not sure, but I think I'm being insulted...

No, wait, I'm sure...

Surely you have something better to do with your time, UMP...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in my best A&E voice, I think it's been time well spent.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, its easy to say the problem with America is that we have forgotten our past and that patriotism is lost, repalced by purchasing a flag because you dont want to be the only one in the neighborhood without one.

Again I say this is not Rome, this is not 1941 or 1968 the World is a MUCH different place and you can't apply that era's thinking to now.

Sure we can be as dramatic as we want and call the terrorists barberians then lets call them nazi's and then communists but that doesnt change the fact that they're not the same.

Darkwing we can sit here and write all the pretty words and say all the prolific sayings we want but this is not as cut and dry as you would have us believe. Its easy to say "They are bad" and They are Good" but the fact of the matter is its not the easy to tell.

Sure you could just "Send the army in" as you say but all we are doing is killing people and inspiring more hatred of the United States not to mention the fact that we would have to OCCUPY the region do you understand the beating your setting yourself up for ?

This attitude of lets just roll over them because we can is whats going to destroy this country.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, is it?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraith: I hoped the use of the actual words "little yellow sunsabitches" might have announced my sarcastic intent. I was after all replying to a complete twit, as his subsequent post has shown. I can't help but notice that in all his eagerness to see America go forth and smite the ungodly, he's not exactly signing up to do it himself. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's Ungodly? Boy, we have to take care of them.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The greatest challenge of the new century lies before us...to take up the Standard of Right and say to all the forces of darkness: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" This our grandfathers did, and now this we must do as well. We must not tarry, we must not hesitate, we must not falter...and, if need be, we must stand alone because it is the right thing to do!

Hang on, which country is saying this? From my count, it could apply to several.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is good....

In everything, in every place, there are good and bad people and things.... It has always been this way, such as life....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Mr. Poet reminds me of a news story I read recently about a large number of young student types (as many of us in this thread are, or at least were once) being surveyed about a possible war in Iraq. I do not recall the first percentage; those who would avoid a draft were one instituted. But what struck me was that something like half (or over half) of those were still in favor of a war. This was interesting.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American students, I take it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I've heard rumors that people from Foreign attend school-like camps that have similar educational goals, but I have as yet seen no evidence of this.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps