Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sesame Street to introduce HIV+ muppet (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sesame Street to introduce HIV+ muppet
Ed BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
4.7 million people in South Africa have it.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I knew it was high, but not THAT high...

[ July 15, 2002, 18:30: Message edited by: Ed BWC ]

IP: Logged
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How not to get AIDS, a primer:

#1 DON'T HAVE SEX. It's better than DYING, and it's practically FOOLPROOF.

#2 If you MUST have sex, have it ONLY with your monogamous partner. It may be dull, but it's better than DYING.

#3 If you MUST have sex with someone who isn't your partner, use a goddamn plastic thingy. It's better than DYING.

#4 If you MUST have sex with someone who isn't your partner, without a goddamn plastic thingy, seek psychiatric care. You're MAD.

#5 If you aren't having sex, and someone tries to force you to, KILL THEM. Better they die quick than you die slow.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you cant hide the horrors of the world from children.. you can, however, teach them to deal with them.

and NOBODY has an untroubled childhood.. i think a cheesy, lecturung muppet isnt causing as much trouble in their lives as the trouble that is made for children by their own parents.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, First's brilliantly helpful suggestions provide an instant solution to the problem of how to care for the upwards of 20 million orphans South Africa will have by 2010. I'm glad we've got that figured out, I was worried for a few minutes.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stumped. Rob's little AIDS Primer was so patently absurd, it's left nothing for me to work with.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, First's brilliantly helpful suggestions provide an instant solution to the problem of how to care for the upwards of 20 million orphans South Africa will have by 2010. I'm glad we've got that figured out, I was worried for a few minutes.
Numbnuts, that wasn't the problem that I was addressing now, was it? The very title of the post says so.

I DON'T have a solution to the problem of the people who already have AIDS, or the children who will be affected because their parents die of AIDS. I don't think there is one, besides massive international (and that means not just the US footing the majority of the bill like it usually does) aid and care.

But I DO have a solution to stopping the SPREAD of AIDS. In fact, until a vaccine is developed, it's the ONLY solution. Teach people to follow the five points. Maybe if the 20 million orphans learn that, a few less of THEM will die.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe peope should stop giving blood in China. That would help too.

People should stop sharing needles too. But providing clean needles causes people to use drugs...same with condoms and sex. Look it up.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm overusing the rolling eyes, so I'll just say wow, what a nice over-reaction.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(and that means not just the US footing the majority of the bill like it usually does)
Example?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

http://www.unaids.org/index.html
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/facts/intrnatl.htm

And this has nothing to do about anything, but the central clearinghouse for UK government stuff on the web is available in English and Welsh. But do more people actually speak Welsh than, say, Gaelic? Or are they just more vocal?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

And to answer my own question: yes, over seven times as many.

Why didn't I say Scots, then, which is spoken by about twice as many people as Welsh? Because I wasn't aware it was a seperate language...curses!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Liam: To be exact, the US currently foots just under 1/4 of the entire bill, as can be seen here:

http://www.globalfundatm.org/files/Financial_contributions280502.htm

Of course, Bill Gates being a US citizen, and giving an additional $100,000,000 (A contribution equal to Canada's and greater than all but six other countries - and the European Commission, whatever that is) isn't factored in, as he's giving as a Corporation, but it could be considered US money as well.

I notice that Australia, All of Asia except Japan, The entire Middle East except for Kuwait, and All of South America are absent from the list.

Let's bring some of that righteous international pressure to bear on these countries, shall we?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to get into an argument here, but what do those figures look like if you take into account the number of people in the country? I'd assume that the US has far more than 2.5 times the number of people in Italy, or the UK. Plus the European Commission gets its money from Europe, so we are in effect giving twice.

[ July 17, 2002, 07:58: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Actually, because I'm now working, and because I have an office, and because it's now my sacred duty to bunk off, here's what I got...

US Contribution: $500,000,000
US Population: 287,000,000
Contirbution per person: $1.74

Japan Contribution: $200,000,000
Japan Population: 129,000,000
C.P.P.: $1.55

Italy Contribution: $200,000,000
Italy Population: 57,800,000
C.P.P.: $3.46

UK Contirbtuion: $200,000,000
UK Population: 59,800,000
C.P.P.: $3.34

Canada Contribution: $100,000,000
Canada Population: 31,100,000
C.P.P.: $3.22

I'm not knocking the US's contribution, and I fully expect Rob to come up with some reason why these figures all all rubbish, but still, it is slighly less impressive to give 2.5 times as much as another country when you have 4.5 times the population. Even Canada gives more than you (if you ignore Bill Gates, obviously. And considering that he's really quite wealthy, I think we should. You don't see the Brits dragging in Branson or anyone, do you, and they aren't anywhere near as wealthly as Gates).
I suppose you could compare the GDP figures, but I can't be bothered finding them now.

And for Simon: The language isn't "Scots". It is instead the rather more cunningly titles "Scottish". Still, your point is interesting. If you go to Wales, you will find street signs, directions, and most information signs in both English and Welsh. It seems to be mandatory. On the other hand, in Scotland and Ireland (both Northern and the Republic), all the signs are pretty much English only, with only the occasional "home" language for variety. In addition, children in Wales are taught Welsh, despite it being a "dead langauge" (all new words that have been added to it over recent years have been English). It's possibly the most pointless language in the world to learn, after French, and the fact that they've clung to it is a charming example of pointless patriotism.

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I think the US can and should increase its donation.

However, I want to see more non-donor countries coerced into helping, as well.

Heck, if China put in 50 cents a head, you'd have another half-billion dollars for the fund. Then you could get the US and China in a prestige race, and clean up!

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps