Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Sesame Street to introduce HIV+ muppet (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Sesame Street to introduce HIV+ muppet
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's hard to tell. You are very off and on with your humour these days Timmy.

I've also asked several (ie, two) Scottish people, and neither of them have heard of "Scots". There's Scottish (Gaelic), and, er, that's it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it referred to as Scots Gaelic.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As oppossed to Irish gaelic. Hmm. I suppose it makes sense, but that page claimed that Scots and Gaelic were two different languages. And "Scottish Gaelic" still sounds better. "Scots" sound like one of those words said by people who aren't actually Scottish but are trying to be (like the horrible "Well, my greatgrandfather was Irish so that means I know everything about the emerald isle I like Guiness" crowd. It also shows up when people refer to the Scottish at "Scotch", which is just wrong on every imaginable level.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My inclination has always been that in Scotland there's

• "English, spoken with the oh-so-funny Scottish accent" which the overwhelming majority of those Scottish people speak.

• "Scots," which is a dialect of English spoken primarily in the lowlands of Scotland during the murky times of warriors in kilts who looked like Mel Gibson, brought back to the forefront by that Burns fellow, and still spoken in the odd obscure lowland village where they screw sheep.

• "Gaelic," also called "Scottish" or "Scottish Gaelic" which is a completely different Celtic language dating back to shortly after those Roman guys packed it in thanks to that woman with the impossible-to-spell name on the British penny. It, too, can be found in the odd sheep-screwing village, but in this case more commonly in the highlands. (Incidentally, silly people call the original Celtic language of Ireland "Gaelic" too, but pretty much everyone there calls it "Irish.")

[ July 19, 2002, 18:02: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

•   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps