Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Well, now... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Well, now...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In simpler terms, c is constant for all points in space, but not NECESSARILY for all points in time.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What side are you arguing for again here?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His very own!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The side that says that a decreasing speed of light doesn't violate relativity. Did I miss a post that I made?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Did you?

And I meant generally. You started this thread. What was your point?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point, who needs a point.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topic Starter: Omega.

Jeff edits too fast.

Omega
Member # 91

I just find it amusing that back during the original Creation/Evolution debate... three years or so ago now, I posted that there was good evidence of a decreasing speed of light, and everyone scoffed.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could have been just because every liked scoffing you... But this may not be the case now...

If the older light is slowing down, what then happens at the point where the newer faster light over takes the slower older light?

Shit, missed my Kirk-speak....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For one thing, the speed of light supposedly slowed. Which would mean it's the newer light that slower, not the older. But I don't think it works that way, anway. All the light everywhere is moving at one speed. It's just that that speed is slower today than it used to be.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I posted that there was good evidence of a decreasing speed of light
No you didn't. You still haven't.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes. Linking to an internet article != automatic good evidence for a theory.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

This article sheds a better light on the matter. A varying electromagnetic coupling constant could be caused by a number of things (Planck's unit, alternating electric charge, *and* fluctuating lightspeed), but there is also the possibility that the accumulated data has simply been misinterpreted. Regardless, I think it's safe to say we won't be zippin' around the galaxy at FTL velocities anytime soon.

[ August 12, 2002, 04:49: Message edited by: Colorful Cartman ]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point Omega was trying to make was:

"Well, now.... it looks like light is slowing down, ergo the world isn't 10-20 billion years old, oh no, it's about 5 or 6 thousand years old like I tried to tell you before. Of course the tiny magnitude of the change in c isn't of much importance".

Well, Omega, is this about right or am I putting words in your mouth?

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll have to pardon me, but since my physics knowledge is almost non-existant can someone shed some light on this?

What would it take to actually slow light down? An increase in the mass of the universe? There must be some counter force acting upon it (and therefore on time itself) to have this effect. Any ideas on what the force may in.

For instance: If the universe had started to collapse, thus drawing all matter/energy/whatever towards a central point that may force light to slow.

Also, if space and time are linked (I may be way out here, but...) wouldn't a slowdown in the speed of light somehow effect or be a symptom or, or be synonamous with a slowdown in time as well?

*Waits for suitably knowledgeable person to make sense of it all*.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps