Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Well, now... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Well, now...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light doesn't move directly away from the center of a black hole, because the singularity does not emit any*.

*rays are enormously redshifted, rendering them optically invisible

[ August 14, 2002, 11:00: Message edited by: Colorful Cartman ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what is being asked is along these lines: if light isn't slowed down by gravity, then what happens to light that is flying straight up?

Well, consider a rocket on Earth. To leave the planet, that rocket has to accelerate to about 25,000 miles per hour.

But imagine the Earth was much denser and larger than it is. Or, conversely, imagine the rocket is much less powerful.

Gravity, at the surface, is pulling down at 32 feet per second squared. If you want to jump into the air, or move anything at all in that direction, you need to apply an acceleration greater than 32 f/s/s to it. So take our weak rocket. It's thrust is exactly 32 f/s/s. So what happens to the rocket? Nothing. That is, for as long as it is firing, it will not fall. But it cannot go anywhere. It is not, from the point of view of the surface of the earth, going anywhere. But it does have a speed.

In the same way, a black hole, at the event horizon, has an escape velocity of exactly lightspeed. A photon, released right at this boundary, aimed straight up, will still be traveling at c. But all this does is counter the gravitational pull of the hole. The photon can't get away from it. That's why it's a black hole. Beneath the event horizon, the gravitational pull is even greater, and light, along with everything else, spirals down into the singularity.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding to the confusion, photons aren't factually influenced by gravity. They merely follow the shortest possible route through the fabric of spacetime - in other words, a straight line. This is counter-intuitive because the mind has great difficulty visualising more than three spacial dimensions. All black holes really do is distort the continuum so severely that the direction in which light travels gets warped beyond all recognition.

Massless particles == weird behavior.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't Chaos theory come into play?

Basically, something woul alter the rocket/light ray's speed or trajectory, even if it's only by the tinniest fraction of a miniscule percent. But that is all that is needed for the stalemate to be broken.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether the hypothetical situation is possible or not isn't what's important, though. We're just talking about how the photon behaves.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wouldn't Chaos theory come into play?"

Is this the part where Daryus comes in and starts talking about butterflies?

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moths, actually.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, my joke didn't go over as intended. That's what I get for making a reference to something about five people understand...
Cartman
Member # 256

Six.

(yet another obscure reference)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were going for some sort of "A butterfly flaps its wings in Australia and causes a thunderstorm in Miami" sort of thing.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I was. But, more specifically, I was going for the Daryus == Jeff Goldblum == Dr. Ian Malcolm == explaining chaos theory in Jurassic Park.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus == Jeff Goldblum

That does put a new spin on things...

So, if light slows enough, then it won't be long beofre we can break that barrier... or start moving slower ourselves...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

No.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Daryus == Jeff Goldblum

Daryus can't equal Jeff Goldbloom, for Daryus is the Curry God, and all the Jeff Goldblooms in the universe can't come close.

[Cool]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's an old joke...
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps