Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Long-range fighter? Big $$$(??) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Long-range fighter? Big $$$(??)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Can someone please tell me (when this episode is aired) what a Federation Fighter is doing in a Voyager episode?

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea, but sadly, it is probably supposed to be an alien vessel.

"O.K. Guys, we need an alien fighter for this weeks episode. I need you to build one."

"Well, actually, we've got this Feddie fighter over her in this crate that hasn't been used in a few months. Lets use it instead. Who's gonna know the difference."

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't those ships used as Maquis ships, too?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they also used these.

And guess what, see the partial 'ring' in the background? That came from the ship behind the Fighter. So what? Well before the ring was activated there was no Fighter, until it was hit by the ring... Anti-cloak Treknology anyone?

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited November 17, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks vagely like a Jemmie Battleship back there.

------------------
And keep your foot off that blasted samoflanche!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, since it seems like half of Voyager's episodes take place in the Federation these days, why couldn't it be a Starfleet ship?

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Gonna donate half my money to the city.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An Akira, then.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky that ship was on the exact same plane as the Maquis ship...

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, two points in 3D space are ALWAYS in the same plane... The only coincidence here is that the fighter happens to be oriented parallel to that common plane. The Akira, OTOH, seems to be nose-down wrt the plane.

I agree that the background ship looks quite a bit like an Akira. And in the recent seasons, the Voyager VFX folks have very nicely refrained from reusing old models - mainly because the CGI models are relatively easy to revamp radically so that even if parts of them are reused, they are basically unidentifiable. So if we see what looks like a Starfleet/Maquis interceptor and
an Akira, then it is very, very likely that the writers called for a Starfleet/Maquis interceptor and an Akira.

Unfortunately, the current rumors and spoilers about upcoming episodes do not really hint at any plotlines that would involve such ships. We're gonna see an old Klingon warship turned generation/sleeper ship, and a couple of alien ships that feature big in their respective episodes, but no rumors speak of Maquis or Starfleet vessels. Perhaps this is VFX-testing for a late-season show - OR then it is just VFX-testing for testing's sake, like those pictures of USS Voyager "fighting the Borg" just before ST:FC premiered?

In any case, that's a beautiful shot!

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

It's not an Akira in the background, but the 'Alien of the Week'.

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least they modified the fighter to look alien. I think they should have gone a little further with it. Oh well. BTW any Photoshop experts out there willing to make this alien version of the fighter? Problem with all these CGI ships on Voyager is that my alien ship list is way behind as far as accompanying graphics go.

And what was with the image of Voyager all beat up in the trailer? Somebody goofed while editing the clips.

------------------
"Ah, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel."
-Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by Galen (edited November 23, 2000).]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that trailer, I think they just cut and paste that in for effect. And I think that comes from that episode Year of Hell.

Did anyone notice also that the bridge for that warship was the Defiant bridge? At least they could have used the Defiant model for the alien ship...

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... That "ship" in the background isn't a ship. It's a little unmanned "thing" that sends out pulses to detect cloaked ships. And the fighter is rather large, with several rows of windows visible. And it's green. With orange-ish engine glow. No "spoiler" like thing on the back of it. The other ships featured in the ship were the Imahdi(?) and they had a few different types, IIRC. They looked pretty nifty.

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Well, at least they modified the ship a little. But I'm really getting fed-up about all this recycling stuff.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this recycling stuff? Voyager has had more ship designs pop up than any other Trek series.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps