Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some observations about the 29th century (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some observations about the 29th century
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just rewatched "Relativity," and made a few observations.

First, the span of time: The Relativity and her crew are supposed to be from 500 years in Janeway's future. Now, 500 years is a long time. A lot of things can happen in 500 years. (I could ramble on about this, but instead I'll make my point here.) However, we are shown a Starfleet crew that bears a remarkable resemblance to the contemporary crew of the 24th century. The uniforms are markedly similar in departmental colors & styles, the ranking insignia is the same, the crew is made up almost entirely of humans or aliens which look exactly like humans, etc. Apart from the fact that Starfleet now uses timeships instead of starships, there is nary a difference between the two eras. How believable is this?

There was one marked difference I found, though. When Braxton gets hit by a 24th century phaser, aside from grunting and stepping back a few feet, the beam has no real affect on him. And the beam does hit him; it's not like he had a personal force field or something. Have humans evolved over the past 500 years to the point where phaser blasts can't harm them?

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy -
Timeline of Pertinent Events

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps something with the resistance of flesh. Arturis handled the phaserblast pretty well too, in "Hope and Fear.

I don't think all ships of 29th century UFP are timeships, but they've added it to the inventory, yes.

You'd think they'd changed fashion, but perhaps the most efficient dresscodes for the navy/spaceforce were established already in the early 2200's. Or it could be the leaders and admirals of 2800 are really conservative and grumpy, and the next voy-ep about the 2800's will be the great garment-insurrection!!

I need a drink.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*L*

Well, Arturis was an alien, so he really doesn't count...

My point was that the depiction of Starfleet and the Federation changed very little in five centuries. How stupid would the Armed Forces look if they were to wear uniforms from 1776, when the U.S. was founded? And that was only 225 years ago, not 500!

The only theory I can come up with is the "Time Lord" theory. In Doctor Who, it was stated that once the Gallifreyans discovered time travel and became the Time Lords, their society stagnated because of it. Maybe Starfleet discovers time travel only a relatively short time after the 24th century, and the same thing happens.

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easy answer is that Voyager feels its fans are incredibly stupid and unless they didn't make it familiar we wouldn't recognize it.

Unless it's of course that Admiral Roddenberry's doing. Afterall, he's been Chief of Staff for about a century now?

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The writers made a mistake putting it 500 years in the future. Anyway, there just wouldn't be enough scope in one episode to convey the difference of the two times.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
29th Century Federation-Observations
Federation's size:Twice as big as current Federation.
Fleet Size:Twice the size of current fleet.
Romulans & Klingons:??? Members of Federation?????
Warp speeds:Speeds higher then Warp 9.982 now possible and ships now capable of Warp 9.99999
Borg: Seem to have been defeated by this time
Cardassians: ??? Members of Federation???
Dominion: ??? Members of Federation???
Explored space size:Up to 30,000 light years from Earth
Breen:??? Members of Federation???
Ferengi:??? Members of Federation???

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Federation's size:Twice as big as current Federation.

Evidence for this?

Fleet Size:Twice the size of current fleet.

Evidence for this?

Romulans & Klingons:??? Members of Federation?????

Evidence for this?

Warp speeds:Speeds higher then Warp 9.982 now possible and ships now capable of Warp 9.99999

Evidence for this?

Borg: Seem to have been defeated by this time

Evidence for this?

Cardassians: ??? Members of Federation???

Evidence for this?

Dominion: ??? Members of Federation???

Evidence for this?

Explored space size:Up to 30,000 light years from Earth

Evidence for this?

Breen:??? Members of Federation???

Evidence for this?

Ferengi:??? Members of Federation???

Evidence for this?

This shouldn't have been titled 'Observations', it's much to speculative. Label it as such.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited January 20, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*ROFLMGDSFAO*

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do realise of course that more than half of those points were enclosed by school-girl style question marks.
You're probably a bit too trigger happy UM ....

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited January 20, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
The easy answer is that Voyager feels its fans are incredibly stupid and unless they didn't make it familiar we wouldn't recognize it.

More evidence of this was when Starfleet Command was shown to be in pristine condition in "Pathfinder" even though it had been totally blown away by the Breen not long before in DS9. I read in the Magazine that TPTB decided not to go with the DS9 continuity because they thought people who didn't watch DS9 wouldn't understand what happened.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that people who watch one Star Trek show most likely watch others. Also, mention was already made of the Dominion and the war in Voyager several times. And finally, I doubt that the buildings, even if they were rebuilt in a very short period of time, would look EXACTLY the same.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless that building wasn't in San Francisco. Was it ever stated that it was? Considering they used the John Hancock Tower in Chicago as the basis, maybe it's there...or even that building, modified.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's bullshit. "They watch Voyager or DS9, not both. We'll fuck continuity up more on Voyager by saying DS9 didn't happen."
I really think TPTB need to be fired and new ones hired.

I watch all 4 series. I know several people who watch both DS9 and Voyager.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that motion. Lets pass out baseball bats, fly to California, and oust them ourselves.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the sad truth is that the ep was set WAY to far into the future. It's so far ahead that it's hard to relate anything.

The Relativity timeline probably should've only been set 100 years or so in the future. Close enough to Voyager's time that the ship and crew might still be having some residual effects.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fail to see why extrapolating 375 years from now is OK, while extrapolating another 450 to 500 years from then isn't. The whole point of the show is that humanity isn't going to change much over the next few centuries.

I didn't find the Relativity-era Starfleet to be that related to Voyager-era. Different uniforms, different rank insignia, different ship decor. . . the return to pistol-shaped hand-weapons. . . and some unknown alien race as part of the crew (although wasn't it actually one of the aliens from "Waking Moments?").

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps