Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some observations about the 29th century (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some observations about the 29th century
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shik: It was in San Francisco. You can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

Vogon: The 29th century may have seemed different enough to you, but it looked very similar to the 24th century to me. About that alien crewmember: That was my whole point - a crew made up entirely of humans, with only one alien. Remind you of anything? Like the TOS crew? I would think that by the 29th century, a Starfleet crew would be so integrated with aliens from all over the galaxy that humans would make up only a small percentage.

Actually, that should have been the case for a 24th century crew...

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy -
Timeline of Pertinent Events

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean. IIRC I read something that when an alien world joins the Federation it's military is integrated with Starfleet. Say for example Bajor finally joins the Federation, the Bajoran Militia would become Starfleet.

I assume they would have to go to some sort of training to learn Starfleet protocol. Although I could be completely wrong, but I'm not sure anyway.

Regardless, with over a 150 member worlds there should be more aliens in Starfleet. But for the same reason everyone speaks English, it's a lot cheaper to have human crews than making a lot of different alien prosthetics and makeup.

------------------
"Great Idea!!" - DARKSTAR
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's also the possibility that only the time-traveling people use those uniforms in order not to shock the older crews that much, or to throw them off as to what happens in the future.

As for the aliens, it could be possible that Humans have a higher tolerance for time travel than others.

------------------
Avalon Sector Webmaster
-=AVALONSECTOR NETWORK GATEWAY=-
MSN [email protected]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta agree with Vogon. There's a century between TOS and TNG, and how much of it is different? We've got slightly shinier control panels, and a holodeck. Big whoop.

Braxton resisting a phaser was weird though. The "humans have evolved" thing doesn't work. Humans have, by and large, stopped evolving. And they certainly wouldn't have evolved in 500 to develop resistence to phasers (if they had, don't you think people would have "evolved" a resistence to arrows during the middle ages, hmm?).

About the uniforms. How'd you know that they weren't completely different in the 500 years between the times, and they just went back to the older style? Look at TOS and TNG. If you hadn't seen the movies, you'd think that the uniforms were almost completly unchanged (apart from a small case of colour blindness).

Finally, one of the whole points of the LCARS interface is that it processes very complex information, yet displays it very simply. Presumably, that's what the 29th century displays are going for. The computers are hidiously more powerful, but they don't overload the person with information.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then how do you explain the future Bashir's statement about three-dimensional control panels being the norm in the 25th century, but that we see standard 2D panels on the Relativity?

I can probably forgive the uniform & ranking issue, but I still think there should have been way more aliens than humans aboard the Relativity. To me, Azetbur's comment in the 23rd century that Starfleet was a Homo Sapiens-only club was not only correct, but that it stayed that way for 600 years after she said it!

quote:
There's also the possibility that only the time-traveling people use those uniforms in order not to shock the older crews that much, or to throw them off as to what happens in the future.

Good idea, but why would they need to worry about this if they can wipe the minds of the older crews before sending them back to their original time?

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited January 25, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaning toward the "can't let people of the past have info about the future" explaination. Perhaps they sometimes encounter aliens that don't respond to their memory wipe. Perhaps sometimes people take some sort of treatment to prevent the wipe from taking. It's another layer of protection. This would also explain the whole 3-D panel thing. Now the future in "All Good Things..." having 2-D panels, I can't explain.

As for the aliens, if someone from the past saw a Jem'Hadar crewman aboard a 29th century Federation vessel, they'd gather info about the future political situation by that one single act. I think the timeships are manned by whatever species the target can see without contaminating the timeline.

Make the future things seen by the traveler as much like he remembers as possible, the better to prevent him from gathering information.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm saying this ...

But I agree 100% with Omega.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the end of the world as we know it....
or
The Second Coming is near.....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, kids. I'm scared, too. 8)

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

letsalope
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i would say that the phaser didn't affect him because
he had that time cykosis(i hope that is the right spelling)
or what ever it was. just like how a person who has mental illness can take a much higher pain tolerance

IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Psychosis.

And IIRC, a phaser causes a feedback in your nervous system. I'm not sure how pain threshhold would apply to that.

------------------
Disclaimer:
"All references to vices and of the supernatural contained in this game are for entertainment purposes only. _Over_The_Edge_ does not promote satanisim, belief in magic, drug use, violence, sexual deviation, body piercing, cynical attitudes toward the government, freedom of expression, or any other action or belief not condoned by the authorities."
- `OverTheEdge'

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could he be slightly out of phase, so the phaser can' do him harm??

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

letsalope
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with black knight, that the uniforms of the later era's wouldn't register with the earlyer crews.
so they would replicate different uniforms for different eras like in the ds9 episode the trouble with tribbles,where they changed uniforms to find kirks potential killer.as for a human dominated crew
you would proberbly find that humans take care of the human timeline and interest,as volcans would take care of there timeline and interest,overseen by a federation council.

IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

Assuming the Federation even exists. For all we know, that may have been another part of the deception, in order to prevent future shock. Heck, the Founders could have taken over the universe, and simply impersonate different species on their temporal jaunts.

------------------
Disclaimer:
- `OverTheEdge'

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps