Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Someone's been reading Shane Johnson (SPOILERS) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Someone's been reading Shane Johnson (SPOILERS)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!! THOU ART WARNED!!!

Anyway, the Voyager episode "Q2" featuring Q and his now-teenaged son Q is on. It starts with Icheb giving a presentation on early Starfleet history to Janeway. And, I swear, Icheb said that Kirk's historic five-year mission ended in 2207. Isn't that about fifty or so years way too early?

I'll comment on the rest of the episode when it's over. On another note, that Cadbury Bunny audition commercial is on again for about the tenth year in a row.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2270, I believe, is what Ichy said. That's what I heard, anyway.

I watched this episode too. I'm kinda of irritated about how they've ruined the character of Q. Mind you, this is the first Q/Voyager episode I've watched since the first one many many moons ago.

DS9 handled the character a lot better when he did that pesterin' on the station.

We first see Q, and he's like a scientist conducting tests on the crew of the Enterprise. He wants to see how humans react to various situations. (Encounter at Farpoint, Hide and "Q", Q-Who?)

Then he shows up AS a human, so it's all still the basic "learning what it means to be human", etc.

ARGH!!! I just think Q was a lot cooler in TNG and DS9.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 11, 2001).]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Episode's over. And, I guess I should add, it's the first episode I've seen in almost a year.

Overall, I liked the episode. Like father, like son. Q Junior was really an annoying little !@#$ who needed a good smack upside the head. Of course, he did take away Neelix's vocal cords and Seven's clothes. From there, the episode was pretty well paced, in my opinion. I liked the ending; it didn't seem too contrived or predictable to me. It would have been interesting to Q Junior stay onboard as a human, but I guess that it is a little too late to start adding youngsters to the cast. Especially since we already have Icheb and Naomi.

Best lines from the episode:
"The Continuum has told you before: DO NOT PROVOKE THE BORG!" -- Q Senior

"Can I see you naked again" -- Q Junior

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Continuum has told you before: DO NOT PROVOKE THE BORG!"

Why does it matter? Can't Q just snap their fingers and send 'em back to whence they came? (Speaking of which, woulda been nice to see "Q-2" - Corbin Bernsen - show up as one of the judges)

And didn't Q provoke the Borg in Q-Who? (Sort-of?)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited April 11, 2001).]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I don't know. It sounded like Icheb said "two thousand two-hundred seven." Maybe he did say seventy and I didn't catch it. Stranger things have happened.

I think Voyager has changed the Q character to a good degree, but I don't he's been ruined. He still seems to be his same old self. It's just this time around he was trying to figure out how to be a parent.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Eh ... I don't know. I rather enjoyed Q in Q-Less.

"You hit me! Picard never hit me!"

"I'm not Picard!"

I wish Sisko and Q could've gone head to head more often.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I thought Q-Less was not very good at all, and enjoyed Q's first Voyager appearence much more.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just waiting for the screencaps of naked Seven of Nine to be posted...

(Okay, I know it's just her back, but it's those little things that count.)

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got done watching the episode:

Icheb definitely said 2207, but that was probably a typo in the script or error on the actor's part that didn't get caught.

I wouldn't call Q1's actions in "Q Who?" provoking the Borg per se. If Picard had been a good boy and followed Guinan's advice, the Borg probably wouldn't have detected them (at least not for a while). Of course, if Picard had followed Guinan's advice, Q probably would have provoked the Borg in order to set in motion the events that would have lead to Picard's begging for help.

My biggest problem with the episode:

Could Q's help have been any more vaguer?

For those of us keeping track of Voyager's mileage, this is going to wreak havoc. Just how many years constitute a few?

------------------
"The Long Kiss Goodnight begins, more or less, with Geena Davis being kicked in the head by a deer. This was the high point of the film."

- Sol System, 2/24/01

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was positive he said 2270. I remember listening to his report and saying to myself, "Thank God they got the dates right for once."

Maybe I was mistaken, but I don't think so. I should've taped the damn thing.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2270 WOULDN'T be right, though. 2269 would.

And yay, I don't get to see VGR again until AFTER the finale because there's no UPN station here & someone in CT is taping it all for me. Fucking cable company...no Sci-Fi, Bravo, or History Channel unless I get a converter. What the fuck's up with THAT?!?

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Icheb did say 2270, which was strange because I'm wondering it only took a year to change the original configuration of the Consittution Class to the refit one.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's an "oops". Scotty said he's spent the last year-and-a-half refitting the Enterprise. I SUPPOSE the V'Ger incident could have been late in 2271, and the Enterprise pulled into drydock in early 2270... *shrug*

Besides, we have to allow time for the animated series. *grin*

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2269 would have been correct? Says who? The Okudas? Big Deal.

Does 2270 contradict canon? Okay so we have the year and a half line, but a year and a half from when? I don't recall anything canon saying that TMP took place in 2271. Until the chronology I always assumed that it took place about ten years after the end of the series, and never really liked the Okuda's conjecture about it.

This would bump the five year mission up a year, meaning that Where No Man Has Gone Before took place in 2266.

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited April 12, 2001).]

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, it's funny.
This seems like a rehash of "Charlie X" from TOS.
Also, remember "Squire of Gothos", with Trelane? Same plot.
And then there was speculation after Q's first appearances in TNG that he was really Trelane. There was an article in one of those "Best of Trek" books called "Q of Gothos" that speculated that Q was Trelane - both liked to dress up in costumes and cause trouble on ships named Enterprise, similar powers etc.
Then..
In a novel called "Q Who" I think it was called, it was revealed that Q was Trelane's father. It was Q who we hear talking to Trelane at the end of Squire of Gothos". A nice connection between TNG and TOS.
Now...
We have Q as a father with a son who is a pain in the butt etc etc.
We've seen all this before!!

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps