Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Someone's been reading Shane Johnson (SPOILERS) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Someone's been reading Shane Johnson (SPOILERS)
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this episold was quite good
lots of funny moments

best is when the borg finally beat voyager the way it should be.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there also the novel Q-Squared, wherein Trelane is a Q, and John-DeLancie-Q is his babysitter of sorts?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q-Who was a TNG episode ... the first appearance of the Borg (and Q's third appearance). It wasn't a novel.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Q-Squared was a good book in my opinion.

I missed the first 15 minutes of the episode. So I missed Seven naked huh...

Q's not different, after All Good things... seeing that Picard passed his 7 years test went on to bother Janeway. He's no longer testing the human race more like just now annoying them that's all.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Q decided that he needed some other Starfleet officer to annoy other than Picard, which brought him to DS9 and the former Commander Sisko. But Sisko is too easily provoked, so there's Janeway.

I heard somewhere that Jeri Ryan was suppose to show more skin when she joined Voyager but since she's dating Braga, he put a stop to this. Any chance this could be true?

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sorry, it was Q-Squared that I meant.
I must have been drunk when I wrote that message. Great book I thought.
My point is that we dealt with this sort of thing already, it seems that the "canon" shows are just catching on to these plotlines.

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DC Comics did a six-part TNG miniseries in '87. The major plotline concerned Q returning to the Enterprise -- the Continuum got so mad at him, they made him human. While trying to commit suicide, Q accidently shot Lt (jg) LaForge, killing him. Later, Q made a sacrificial act to appease whatever it was after the Enterprise, and the Continuum made him a Q again ... at which point he resurrected Geordi.

Sound like Deja-Q? Q's made human, makes sacrafical act to appease the thing that is after him, then moves the big asteroid after the Q make him a Q again.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't recall anything canon saying that TMP took place in 2271. Until the chronology I always assumed that it took place about ten years after the end of the series, and never really liked the Okuda's conjecture about it."

Fair enough. You are ignoring most of the dialogue from the movie though, which indicated (off the top of my head) that:

1/ The Enterprise had been in drydock for about a year and a half

2/ Kirk hadn't logged a single star hour in about the same amount of time (according to Decker).

3/ Kirk had spent "5 years out there, dealing with unknowns like this".

The only way for TMP to occur TEN years after the end of the series would be for Kirk to have had ANOTHER 5 year mission. Which contradicts no 3.

Sorry, I'm not getting it. At most, you could place all 3 seasons of Trek as occuring in the first year of Kirk's five year misson. But even then, TMP couldn't have been more than 7 years after "Turnabout Intruder". And putting all three seasons in one year would be incredibly silly.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, before the Paramount chronology, there was speculation that the animated series filled in the last 2 years of the 5 year mission. And that there was another 5 year mission before TMP.
Then the chronolgy took up the idea that TMP started off a second 5 year mission.
But since TMP came out so long after TOS, it was assumed that it took place that long after.
Then in TWOK, Kirk states it's 15 years after Space Seed (TWOK is).
But if you look at the actors, they appear, or are made to appear very young in TMP, so I sorta like the idea that it's just a couple of years after TOS, and the 2nd 5 year mission is on the new Enterprise.

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the case for TMP being in the mid-to-late 2270s is a pretty strong one. No matter how much make-up is applied, Shatner and Doohan do look very much older than before (in turn, I bet Kelley looked old ever since his teen years, and Nimoy simply looked agelessly alien). And everything has changed - the people have gotten promotions, new uniforms, new gadgets, and a new ship. There's even a new captain for the ship.

On the other side of the balance, we have 2.5 years since Kirk logged star-hours, but no mention that these star-hours were logged aboard our beloved Enterprise, or during any adventure we would know of. We have the Enterprise being refitted for 18 months, but no indication of when the refit was started (perhaps after the last heroic three-year mission of the ship under the command of Captain Richmond E. Bagley?). And we know Kirk spent "just" five years out there, but nothing is said about how far in the past those five years were. Perhaps Kirk earned the brass on his shoulders by working behind a desk for the past six or seven years?

I doubt the new edition of the movie will give any more chronology hints. The stardates mentioned are of course one possible hint, but they proceed at a vastly different rate in TOS and in the movies 2-6, making it difficult to say which convention of either is followed by the first movie.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with putting the second five year mission before TMP, is that the Enterprise gets a spangly new-refit, and then gets relegated to training duty awfully quickly. At least the other way, the Enterprise-refit gets a few years of active duty before becoming "old" again.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Timo. To me the most damning comment to my reasoning is the "five year mission.� Otherwise, all of the other stuff wouldn't mean crap. Kirk could have pulled another mission or had an extension on the original. But with the "five year mission,� the only real way that TMP could have occurred in '79, is if somebody else took a turn as captain (as Timo suggested). I find this highly unlikely, however.

Does anyone know if it was Roddenberry's intention to have TMP take place shortly after the end of the series?

Liam: If TMP happened in '79 and the Enterprise was put on training duty not too long before TWOK in '85 (funny how I choose to believe the Okudas on this point and not the other), it would've gotten six years of duty in its new and improved form. Which admittedly isn't as much, but there may have been reasons for the Enterprises early retirement. After all, if we believe that the Yorktown became the E-A, then we have an example of a ship the same age that was on active duty (presumably doing adventurous Kirk-like thing and not teaching cadets) for another eight years after the E-nil was assigned to training duty.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be that the refit was a disaster. Everything aboard the ship was one big lousy compromise, and never worked the way it was supposed to. Later ships benefited from these early refit experiences so that either their refits were more successful, or then they were actually built from keel up - thus, they didn't have to be demoted to training duty like the experimental Enterprise.

All that said, I still basically tend to believe in the Okuda chronology. A 2271 TMP may make Kirk and Scott look deceptively old, but it basically fits the other facts seen on screen. AND it is what most novels use as the basis of their dating. If novels discuss a second 5-yr mission, it's usually after TMP and before ST2 (which only makes sense, because then it's less of a repetition of TOS, dramatically speaking).

Some minor juggling is of course still possible without disrupting either canon or the novels - perhaps TMP took place in 2272 or 2274? To safely give Kirk 2.5 star-hour-less years between the 2270 mentioned by Icheb and TMP, I'd rather go for 2273 as the TMP date. There's still room for a 5-yearer, and a bitter retirement for Kirk (a la "Generations" flashbacks), before he returns for ST2 in 2284 or so.

Timo Saloniemi

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says the refit had to be a disaster? If Enterprise was one of the first refited to the updated configuration, then it follows that she would be quickly transferred to training ship status for all of the newer ships refitted, (or built form the keel-up), to the new specifications. She'd be older and have more quirks than the other ships, less worth to the fleet as the whole and better experience for trainees. Kind of like making today's USS Enterprise a training vessel for nuclear powered Nimitz-class vessels.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps