Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some commentary on "Author, Author" (minor $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some commentary on "Author, Author" (minor $)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to a quirk in programming schedules, Citytv aired "Author, Author" a couple of days early.

In any case, it's a reasonably fun episode with a fairly serious backdrop to it. The conclusion is admittedly a bit of a retread "A Measure of a Man" and admittedly an inferior one at that, but there's enough fresh, fun stuff in here to more than compensate. The B-story is well-integrated and not too one-track-defined to be annoying.

This ep. is a veritable continuity goldmine, by the way. And, in what might surprise some of you, it's from Braga, although the actual teleplay is Phyllis Strong & Mike Sussman, whoever they are. We get throwaway lines harkening back to throwaway lines in TNG. (For instance, the Klingon poet K'ratak has his name dropped, which elicited a smile.) We have probably the biggest single collection of 24th century similes ever assembled. We have very little stock footage, impressive for what is essentially a bottle show. We have a new ship design that appears for only a split second that I'm sure will send a few people into a tizzy at the Starships board in a few days. We see Seven keep on exploring her humanity but in an excellent yet terse way that hogs little dialog and little running time but gets the point across nicely. We get Chakotay with a ponytail, Paris with an-ugly-as-hell moustache, Janeway as a dark brunette and Seven as a redhead. Some funny stuff, some serious stuff, all-in-all a good outing.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited April 16, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K'ratak?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
He wrote "The Dream of the Fire". Very good read.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K'Trak.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which episode was that from ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Measure of a Man" I think. Worf gave it to Data as a gift during his going away party.

I may have the name wrong too. That's the way I remember it though.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, maybe it was K'ratak...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited April 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited April 17, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Encyclopedia says it was K'Ratak who wrote The Dream of Fire, which Worf gave to Data in "Measure of a Man".

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We have probably the biggest single collection of 24th century similes ever assembled.

You mean, similes like the following: "Those boots will stick to the killers like a pair of Tiberian bats", or "You look as tired as a Traken beast"?
I HATE those lines. They're incredibly annoying.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind them so much, and they really add to the general "feel" that these people are just like us, only living in a far more diverse universe. I was mentioning it just because Voyager isn't in the habit of dropping them that often, and we get three or so in this episode. I might add that they're not awful ones, a la the "beast."

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Good-god. They can't even do Measure of a Man correctly. The whole drama from that episode wasn't that Data's sentience was in question -- it was that Riker was the one trying to have him taken apart!

This was an "okay" episode -- certainly one of the better episodes I've seen from this series in a long time. However, the obvious comparison to Measure of a Man left it's mark, and the episode as a whole suffered for it. It was enjoyable to see the characters in the holo-novel, I especially liked Chakotay's appearance -- Bajoran, earing, that painting on his cheek. I take it that the Doc changed the holo-program a bit: there's no reference to a united crew of Starfleet and Maquis.

Still, this episode had its high points. I was dissapointed that Robert Ito didn't resume his Lt. Chang role from Coming of Age ... oh, well, what did I expect? And, do my eyes decieve me? Or was that Michael Ansara arbitrating? Not quite sure on that one, but it sure as hell looked and sounded like him.

It's nice to see Reg Barclay again. I recently had the chance to watch Hollow Pursuits again. It's amazing to see how far Barclay has come -- a leading mind in holographic research. Anyone remember the time that Will Riker was ready to tear him a new asshole for his conduct on the Enterprise? Or his nickname: Lt. Broccoli?

I'm not sure what's up with this new Starfleet HQ shot we're seeing. Is it supposed to be a different view of the HQ we saw in the movies and Conspiracy from TNG? I forget what it looked like in DS9's Paradise Lost two parter, but I don't think it looked like that!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Starfleet HQ bit. I don't think we're seeing Starfleet Headquarters as we know (or knew) it in San Francisco. This is Starfleet COMMUNICATIONS HQ (as I believe the sign on the front of the building said). Different stuff.

I thought the episode was very good compared to some that Voyager has produced. I never saw Measure of a Man, so I was free of the double viewing you people experienced.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen measure of a man, and I just caught the second half of author, author.
Apparently I missed the good stuff, but I caught the moral of the story which Voyager does a good job at beating you over the head with it as always.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Joseph Campanella played the arbitrator. That dude's been in everything! And he kinda reminds me of Ansara, too.

Daniel, Measure of a Man is an excellent episode. TNG's first great morality story.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

$
$
$
$
As for the "new ship," the only two new ships in the episode are an Excelsior and a freighter similar to the Xhosa (Antares class?) However, the teaser for "Friendship One" showed the probe, but I won't reveal what it looks like.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Where'd you see an Excelsior?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps