Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some commentary on "Author, Author" (minor $) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some commentary on "Author, Author" (minor $)
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was flying over the dylythium moon...kinda reminds me of armada.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That freighter was not a Xhosa! It was most definately all-new. The CGI would have to be scratch-built anyway...

And the entire issue of The Doctor's rights wasn't the main point of this episode by a long shot. It was a character study first and foremost and the moral tale harkening back to "Measure..." was more of a side-effect.

Still, it would've been cool if the arbitrator had dropped a line about the precedent set by Data v Maddux.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Tom, I have to disagree with you (about the freighter, I mean ) It was most definitely a reuse of the Xhosa model, only black instead of tan/brown. Although, I don't know if the Xhosa had been CGI'd for DS9, or if it was just another recombination of freighter parts from the original physical model.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I thought was odd about this ep: the judge, not interpreting the law to define the Doc as a person, instead REWROTE the law to include him. He made a very specific point of this. Do we need any more evidence that the Federation government is totally screwed up?

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it is. They're communists.

------------------
"There comes a time when the mind takes on a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there. All great discoveries have involved such a leap."
--Albert Einstein, on intuition.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the Xhosa, I don't know if it was CGI'd for DS9, but it did make an appearance in VOY a while ago. Or at least Pin'a'SoV lists a photo of it as "Telsian starship"... What episode was that?

We have of course seen the basic components of this freighter in Delta quadrant before. "The Chute" used footage from "Final Mission" to depict a small freighter that was said to fit within the Voyager's shuttlebay. Mercifully, that footage lasted for less than a second.

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited April 23, 2001).]

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't change it--he interpreted it. Basically, he ruled that the spirit of the twelfth guarantee was to protect the artist even though the artist was referred to as a person. This happens all of the time in our (US) legal system.

I too am surprised that nobody cited the precedent of Data v. Maddux. The arbiter acted as if he was the first to have to deal with such a case, but the precedent has already been set (and no its not a different thing--sentient rights for an artificial life form). I would think that the Data case would be the first card they played. Then again, maybe they didn't want to remind us of this episode's striking similarity to "The Measure of a Man."

One thing that I did like about this story is that it kind of deviated from the traditional Voyager story arc. As has been stated above, the first half was very different from the second, and the subplot was nicely wound in instead of weighing the episode down as happens far too frequently. Despite the similarities to the aforementioned ep, I liked "Author Author"--it was a decent, well-rounded episode.

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited April 23, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention a third, almost totally unrelated bit about Torres and her father, which I thought worked quite nicely.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, or was that the B plot?

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there isn't a specific section to the law pertaining to the situation in question then a decision in a court of law becomes the standard by which future cases of this nature are judged. The judge can't write legislation, but the decision does in effect become law.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, something I just recalled ...

The Federation now has a slave race.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree. It was something Guinan mentioned during Measure of a Man to Picard at Ten Foward. I guess Starfleet wanted a race they can turn off so they won't have to see their faces when they feel their morals rise to the surface.

------------------
"When I said to get involved in the gay community, I didn't mean to sleep with everyone in it."
Michael_T

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh please. Are you a card carrying member of Staple Liberation Front, too?

------------------
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Down with the fascist oppressors of staples!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps