Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Now the Borg look like even bigger idiots... ("Endgame" spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Now the Borg look like even bigger idiots... ("Endgame" spoilers)
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that pretty much also debunks "timeless"

btw---in another board someone remembers harry and tom in a shuttle and one of them said that voyager was built for combat--any idea what episode this is?
or is it this guy who makes this claim have a faulty memory?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was said in the episode where Harry played the clarinet and his neighbor banged on the wall.

------------------
"I don't poke my head into business world too much. All I care about is making the show. And naked stuff."

- Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borg WILL adapt. I don't think the 'death' of the Queen is a real problem for the Collective. She has been killed several times, and no harm was done to the Collective, apart from the drones very close to the Queen. But the "irst Contact" drones were alone, without any contact with the rest of the 24th century *or* 21st century Collective.

As for the destruction of Unamatrix One, I don't think it will stop the Borg. Just rename Unamatrix Two and your finished .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the borg can't be GONE because of this, but I do think they'll need to go thorough some big change like when Lore took over, they will need to be put back together because they were obviously torn apart and separated from the queen and each other.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched "Endgame" yesterday...

I think they taked out Traswarp Hub and the surrounding structures instead of Unimatrix One

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Electron:
"Endgame" yesterday...

I think they taked out Traswarp Hub and the surrounding structures instead of Unimatrix One

No, Admiral Janeway took her shuttle into the transwarp network itself, remember? She was going to Unimatrix One. They even re-used the establisher CGI shots from "Dark Frontier" and "Unimatrix Zero" to set the scene.

Besides, why would the Queen be at the Transwarp Hub? Wouldn't it make more sense for her to be in Unimatrix One?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the apparent time travel problems, here's how I think it works...

There are two timelines here; we'll call them 'A' and 'B'. They diverge at the moment Vice Admiral Janeway's temporal rift opens in the "past".

Timeline A:
No rift opens in 2378; Voyager takes until 2394 to get home; Janeway turns übersarcastic; she ceases to exist after 2404 when she leaves the timeline to go back to the past.

Timeline B:
Rift opens; Vice Admiral Janeway, who lived most of her life in Timeline A, comes into existence in Timeline B in 2378; Vice Admiral Janeway dies; Voyager gets home right away.

So, in the Trek timeline, which follows Timeline B, Janeway never goes back in time. But Vice Admiral Janeway still exists in 2378, because she came into Timeline B from Timeline A. Every timeline is like a separate universe. So, the Vice Admiral Janeway who existed in 2378 actually came from 2404 in a separate universe.

Jack Hammerfist
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
HELLO? ANYONE is invincible when you use TIME-TRAVEL- you just find out what happens, go back and use it against them, since you know what they're going to do-- and what's more you can use advanced technology from God-knows-when in the future, even using the enemy's own advances against them. It's impossible to beat someone who has that advantage of playing the time-game-- even morons like Bill & Ted saved the universe when they could do that.

Likewise, the Borg Queen stated that if she "killed Captain Janeway, then Admiral Janeway would never exist--" is the Borg Queen so temporally ignorant that she doesn't know an alternate timeline when she sees one? Admiral Janeway had ALREADY escaped from the Borg decades earlier; killing CAPTAIN Janeway would make no difference in the current timeline, since it was already altered-- Captain Janeway didn't need now need to wait 23 years and go back to do what she did all over again in an endless loop.

IP: Logged
Jack Hammerfist
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
This also reminds me of the episode with the general who destroyed enemies by erasing them from time-- and ended up so badly mucking up the space-time universe that he had to finally erase himself to put his life back to normal. But even compared to this, "Endgame" is so screwed up that Father Time is going to to need to send "temporal anomalies" experts of Dr. Who, Mr. Peabody, Rufus, and Back to the Future's "Doc" to fix THIS mess.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite possible the Borg know something interesting about temporal mechanics that we don't. Considering their apparent distaste for merely three-dimensional thinking, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they share the same distaste for fourth-dimensional thinking too.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this more of an argument FOR the success of time-tampering? If you want to change your personal past, and you have a time machine to do it (a time machine that allows you to go to the past and return from there to an altered future, that is), there are a couple of possible outcomes:

-You fail, and return to your time. You are then likely to try again, unless your failure altered a single timeline and made your future life difficult. If you'd rather believe in branching infinite timelines, then the whole exercise is moot, since your machine can take you to your personal Xanadu regardless of what you do in the past - ONE of the infinite branches is going to be perfect in any case.

-You fail and perish. If you live in a single timeline, no prob: your past self will soon reach your timeframe and repeat the attempt. Depending on how much you believe in free will and random nutations, he may succeed where you failed. If he fails, again a successor is climbing up the timeline.

-You succeed. You can return to your timeframe now, using your time machine that allows this. You will not disappear in a Q-like flash or a puff of air. The trick here is in constructing this type of time machine - otherwise, every time you disembarked your timecraft within your lifetime, you would have to face youself, and if you wanted to enjoy the benefits of the trip alone, you would have to commit murder. Unless your time machine has the duplicate-avoidance feature, you are in deep trouble. Unless, of course, you enjoy the prospect of having yourself as a roommate.

Timo Saloniemi

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if there was a post Voyager trek and they even addressed the issue of the future tech, they would just write it off by saying that Starfleet didn't want to mess with the timeline by using it--of course the doctor would still be wearing his holoemitter.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for my own indulgence. An oversimplified time line would be like this? (Thanks to TSN)

Where the show we've been watching would now follow timeline 'B', and timeline 'A' would be world unto itself without Janeway (after 2404) and without 7of9 (a bleak timeline indeed).

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps