Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Question - When was the last time Tuvok neck pinched anybody? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Question - When was the last time Tuvok neck pinched anybody?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spock did it more because in those days they fought more. Tuvok didn't need to do it because he'd just get taken prisoner, be nice to one of his captors, who'd then stand up to the asshole bastard main captor and a) convince the others to be nice instead of nasty or b) just shoot him. They'd all then have a group hug and let Tuvok go.

Christ, how many times per season did we see that scenario played out, with some member of the crew held hostage while Janeway wrung her hands overhead and thousands of fans screamed out in unison "just fire some fucking warning shots, that'll put the wind up 'em!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
spock did invent the thing because in a scene he was supposed shoot some guy in the back. Nimoy suggested you do the nerve pinch cause it would be more logical.

Tim Russ was an okay Vulcan but not as good as Nimoy. I guess i couldn't enjoy him because he was always getting hurt. You remember in that 7th season episode with the Maquis uprising. anyway Spock would have never gotten strapped in that machine.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tuvok was a fine Vulcan. I think the problem was in "What a Vulcan is".

(I'm gonna get shot for this)

I think that the Vulcans, as a race, are dull. Their devotion to logic and supression of emotions, while admiral in certain ways, doesn't make for very good TV.

Spock was interesting because he was half-human. Watching his two sides struggle was interesting. Seeing those little bits of human emotion sneak out, only for him to repress them again, was a delight. His friendship with both Kirk and Spock, where he obviously cred about both of them, was nice. His character in ST IV shows this, as, throughout the movie, he progresses from a "stock" Vulcan to the lovable Spock we knew from ST II, the one who had finally figured out how to use emotion in his life.

Data applies as well. He was the Vulcan ideal flipped. Spock had emotions, but tried to repress them (occasionally not very well). Data didn't have emotions, but wanted them, and occasionally gave displays that made him look like he had them.

Tuvok, though, was a "perfect" Vulcan. Sarak was a pure Vulcan but one married to a human, so he w as a little different. Tuvok was married to a Vulcan, was perfectly in control of his emotions, and was used less and less as "Janeways best friend" as time went on. End result? He was a bit dull.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

I read somewhere that they didn't really know how to use Tuvok. Your right him an Janeway were best friends and that drifted away. Then he had Kes but she got dropped for Seven. Then they tried to make Tuvok and Neelix friends. I think they actually didn't really know what to do with Voyager they dropped to many story arcs . Like Janeways Holonovel or Harry Kim and Seven or Harry doing anything to get home.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Dr Phlox ]

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Dr Phlox ]

--------------------

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to watch out w/ those story arks. The waters recede, they run aground on Mt. Ararat, and nobody ever sees them again. Not to mention that you're overrun w/ animals...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and a big room for poo.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll save you the trouble of having to endure a lengthy pun based on story arches (although I hear they do help with your back posture).

Phlox: Arcs.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

Thanks for the grammar lesson.

--------------------

-----------------
The West Wing

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spelling, not grammar.

And this isn't a grammar lesson, either. It's a vocabulary lesson.

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Vulcans can do neck pinches, since most huminoids have a nerve on the neck region that when pinched, it causes temporary nervous system paralysis, leaving the victim temporarily incapacitated. We have seen that in human-standard gravity, that Vulcans are very strong, and they must have the necessary strength to pinch the nerve just right, and Data is extremely stronger than a Vulcan, so logic reasons that he would be able to mimic the precise strength of a Vulcan.

quote:
That Noriega thing, good. That Berlin wall thing, good. Dan Quayle, still gaining acceptance. Tax increase, BAD! BAD! -Dana Carvey as George Bush on Saturday Night Live.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuvok neck/nerve pinched one of the 8472 in the episode "In The Flesh". I know they were supposedly in human form, but you'd figure it'd be hard to do the telepathy thing and nail the neck pinch on them. Dunno. I always assumed that most humans lacked the precision of movement and strength to perform it properly.

Anyway, I thought Tim Russ did a fantastic job as a Vulcan. I mean he wasn't playing a half-human/half-Vulcan, like Spock. He was pure Vulcan and as someone previously mentioned he was playing it as a 'perfect' Vulcan. He suppresses his emotions quite effectively most of the time. He comes off as stiff. Even when his emotions slip due to some arcane physiological condition, he seemed out of sorts with his new found emotional landscape. I felt he did a wonderful job of playing the character he was given. If I were to fault anything it would be the parts he was given to play...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always struck by the fact that Vulcans are supposed to be pacifistic in the extreme, but Tuvok was in charge of the weapons. And in Basics he killed a guy with an arrow, even though Nimoy though Spock wouldnt punch someone out because it seemed too violent for a Vulc

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuvok didn't kill anyone with an arrow in "Bascis", he merely shot and wounded the guy.

As for the nerve pinch, I read/heard somewhere that the Vulcan's sent a mild electrical current through the nerve and that rendered their foe unconcious. If us humans could be rendered unconcious so easily, everyone would do it . . . hi, I want to knock you unconcious so I'll just pinch a nerve here and . . . (thud). Impractical, so maybe it's not a pinch as such but a mild shock to a nerve. That would explain Data's use of it - he's an android and can generate a mild electrical current.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps