Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What Type ship was Voyager? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Type ship was Voyager?
The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it start with a T?

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...I assume you're referring to its class designation, in which case it is an Intrepid-class vessel. (Named so for the first ship of that design, the U.S.S. Intrepid NCC-74600.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ April 18, 2002, 11:35: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...I assume you're referring to its class designation, in which case it is an Intrepid-class vessel. We can therefore assume that the first ship of that design was named the U.S.S. Intrepid.

-T_T [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TF indeed.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monkey: I suspect Tom was attempting to supplant your non-canon information w/ canon.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he meant what ship designation it was, ie, Cruiser, Destroyer, Scout etc...?

I think the Intrepids are listed as 'Light Explorers', although I never really liked that term much. That ground's pretty much covered by the Cruisers.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Ship classification debates have often degenerated into gallstone-passing contests in the past.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Monkey: I suspect Tom was attempting to supplant your non-canon information w/ canon.

Sternbach confirmed the NCC-74600, if that's what you mean...
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
*steps onto Voyager board*
Whoa...haven't been here in a while... Maybe The Apocalypse can clarify.

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard, Sternbach had no idea where the 74600 number came from. I suppose this could have changed since then, though it would be an odd sort of reversal.
The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I meant class designation.

Thanks

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What designation is there on T?

Torpedo boat?
Terminator? (not bloody likely)

I always liked the designation monitor, it sounds cool and latin.
The earth-form of it was of course abanodoned long time ago, but in the Dune-books there are many monitors, heavy "Sardaukar" ones, and light courier ones like from the Bene Gesserit. They were once described as very lean and lithe, with weapons hidden behind panels.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Last I heard, Sternbach had no idea where the 74600 number came from. I suppose this could have changed since then, though it would be an odd sort of reversal.

That reversal has indeed occurred. Sternbach just recently reaffirmed the number in a post on the TrekBBS (started by yours truly [Wink] ) where he is a regular poster in the TrekTEch forum.

Also, in the same thread, Alex Rosenzweig (who happens to be a BBS member and moderator) revealed that he at one point communicated with Okuda, who more or less "okayed" a number of NCC-75000 for the U.S.S. Sovereign. (Though this is not quite as firm.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then if 74600 is the rego of the class ship, then those DS9 Intrepid variant kitbashes are therefore not made from other vessels. The Elkins' rego is 71XXX, and the Yeager's is 6XXXX (chronologically speaking, of course). Yet more proof that official written publications can be dismissed as non-canon just as easily as Franz Joseph's tech manual was by GR.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps