Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What Type ship was Voyager? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What Type ship was Voyager?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buh? I know the point you're trying to make - that if Okuda's written stuff can be as easily contradicted as Joseph's while still remaing on-the-whole canon, then Joseph's stuff can also be considered canon unless contradicted. Sorry, nice try, thanks for playing, next contestant please. I don't buy it.

But what has the registry of the Sabre-class Yeager got to do with anything?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He meant the Intrepid-variant Yeager, NCC-65674. No need to bring FJ into this, though.. Sternbach said that he never specified an Intrepid registry, and that the supposed post where he did was just a rumor. I dont see why people think that the registry someone made up that hasnt even been published in a real book, let alone a canonical technical publication or even a paramount licensed book would be canon.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are actually four designations beginning with T. Tactical Cruiser, Transport, Tanker and Tug, not that the Intrepid was any of these...

[ March 25, 2002, 18:25: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the Yeager, then, that's just turned up in one of the DS9 kitbash ship photos?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
correct.. even though its registry is anomalous (a Constellation homage.. its 74656 rearranged), thankfully it at least doesnt predate the FC Yeager 61xxx reg.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd venture that Sternbach speculation from since he's finished working at Paramount and speculation stemming from the period when he was the writers' go-to guy for Treknology consulting are two different things. The latter enjoys a "if we woulda seen it it probably woulda been this way" semicanonicity status, the former does not.

[ March 25, 2002, 21:30: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Sternbach said that he never specified an Intrepid registry, and that the supposed post where he did was just a rumor.

Well, he told me and the entire TrekBBS different... [Wink]

The_Tom, you make a very good point. But, as we all know, this NCC-74600 thing goes back to the time when he was w/TPTB. It's just only now being confirmed, instead of being on-and-off-dismissed-as-a-rumor-thing, as it has been in the past.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you wouldn't be interested in posting a link to this alledged confirmation, though? I, for one, have no wish to wade through TrekBBS to try to find it...
capped
Member # 709

I'm a little disgusted at the very thought of mingling with that rabble.

I read off a website that somebody had saying Sternbach never said that. Possibly they were misquoting or misrepresenting him. I was misled.

But, at the core of the point, it is so far in the realm of a non-issue that its not even funny. I have the ability to leave past starships behind as 'registry not known' and leave it at that, since we have to beat this dead horse over and over, as if its going to make all the technology in Star Trek gracefully more realistic, dependent on our discovering just how many sixes, fives and zeroes are contained within the registry number of the U.S.S. Intrepid

capped
Member # 709

BTW, on the topic of the thread, the 'T' designation you heard was probably this:
quote:
excerpted from http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/intrepid.html
Rick Sternbach was asked what the designation for the Intrepid class is, his reply was as follows -
"I think Voy qualifies as an Explorer, though probably the smallest of its kind. The "slang" label that I always used in-house was Troubleshooter, but that needs clarification and translation into something better."
The scout designation probably comes from the pre-publicity material for Star Trek Voyager, the same material that mentioned that Voyager was the second of an initial batch of four ships.
NCC-74600: USS Intrepid
History: commissioned in Nov 2370, first ship of her class.
Notes: Registry is allegedly taken from a newsgroup post from Rick Sternbach - though he later denied this. Certainly Google Groups can find no such post, just lots of references to it's alleged existence. The LUG RPG supplement Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 1: The Ships of Starfleet opts for NCC-74500 instead.

I'm quick to say, that if that quote is true, then Rick Sternbach dismissed the type classification 'Troubleshooter' in the same breath as he first uttered it. I like 'Cruiser' myself, although if it is officially a 'light explorer' that means just about the same thing

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's the link to the BBS thread:
http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001847.html

And BTW, I started a thread about it *here* right when it first happened. Funny how these things seem to get forgotten... [Roll Eyes]
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001635#000000

Okay, now that I've reviewed the actual post, his wording seems like maybe he's not completely adamant about it, but you get the general idea. He certainly doesn't dismiss it...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

BTW, if you read on to the end of the BBS thread, you'll see the stuff about Alex Rosenzweig and the Sovereign.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All he said is that he's thinking of "offering" it as the right number. He didn't confirm anywhere that he'd ever said it before. I'd assume his original denial is still in effect...
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does it matter?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, apparently, it stopped mattering. Why did it matter enough to you that you had to bring it back up over a month later?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps