Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Whose Idea was it.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Whose Idea was it....
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING (forgot this earlier)

$$$$$SPOILER SPACE!!!!!!!!

... to make the Defiant go kablooie? Why? I mean, unless it's destruction is supposed to conveniently cause something in the entire story line. I mean, if no serious effects arise from the Defiant being destroyed, other than a brand spanking new Defiant to appear, then what's the use?

Unless something's wrong with the Defiant's FM radio. (what? No CHUM-FM?)

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

[This message was edited by Tahna Los on April 26, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... This really should have a spoiler warning...

Anyway, nice special effects and "dying" for what they believe in. The fact that this makes it hit much closer to home might have something to do with it. But, yes, nothing hits more closer to home than the effects on San Fransisco in the very episode.

As for who it actually was who came up with the idea... My bet's on Behr.

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on April 26, 1999.]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ARRGHH!!!!! Second thread today and I created the same mistake in both of them.

Someone do something here, *sigh*

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

LB4747
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
If this was Behr's idea, it's ironic since he was the one who got upset when there were rumors that the Defiant bit the dust in First Contact. Actually, I wouldn't put this past Ron Moore either since he's suppsoedly the one on the writing staff who enjoys stuff getting blown up.

As for the why, I agree, it hits the audience close to home and for those who don't read spoilers, it should come as a complete shock.

------------------
Lawrence Boucher
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
The important thing is not to stop questioning."
--Albert Einstein

IP: Logged
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blowing ships up works, but they wouldn't have to if they introduced those new ships like the Prometheus and others of that class along with some Sovereigns. The Enterprise will kick the Dominions backside, and I'm sure that the tri-vector attack mode would be a lot better than just exploding ships.

------------------
It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be great if they introduced a new class, but there hasn't been any mention of one. Sternbach said he was doing a new ship for Voyager. . .
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Behr co-wrote the episode (I think) and this seems a lot like him, if you ask me, so...

------------------
Quark: "Lesson number one: No one involved in extra-legal activity considers himself nefarious." (DS9: "The Sound of Her Voice")

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm becoming grateful there are no Sovereigns being seen. They'd probably blow them all up just to horrify viewers.

I predict the Defiant-A will show up with just a new letter on the hull, and a brighter paint job on the consoles.

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Don't forget the hyphens! They're important too!

------------------

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's all fine Monty, but this is a war, and we expect some destruction, I mean this is the Dominion. This is the first war or major battle since Wolf 359, and I'd think that the Federation would put the latest stuff they have on the front lines to help fight the enemy. To not do this just implies that Starfleet's leadership is useless.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pray to whatever deity exists that i never have to watch a Sovereign blow up.

Ghaaa!!!!!

------------------
"I AM THE SPIDER!!!!"
- Vic Reeves

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

I wouldn't like to see a Sovereign blow up either, but they are needed to bolster the Federation forces and will definitely make for better viewing too.

------------------

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told (by a little bird in the ground) there there is so much SFX work in the final arc that it's been syphened out between several SFX groups.

This should be awesome.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

Indeed. This is a huge war, and it's only right that they should end with an almighty Armageddon type battle.

------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one, really hope that if Admiral Ross makes good on his word and gets Sisco another ship before the end of the series, that it not another defiant class (I cringe at the thought of the Defiant-A). They have a fairly good collection of CGI starship models these days, there is no reason why they can't give DS9 something (anything) else for the last few episodes.

[This message was edited by Obi Juan on April 30, 1999.]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps