Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » A Break From Trek (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A Break From Trek
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what exactly did Berman say? It sounds like a lot of speculation on the part of the fans is involved.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with just about everyone else here. We need a break from Trek. Not only the fans, but the writers as well.

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but Trek is getting old. Not old with age, but old with storylines. It's getting to be where we can go "Wait a minute...haven't we seen this before?" The show isn't exactly the same...but they've got similarities. The stories in Trek used to be interesting, and intellectually stimulating. I understand making a fun episode every once in awhile, to get a laugh not only for the fans, but for cast and crew as well. But it would also be nice if they came up with some shows that after they're over...make you think. Not that when the shows over, you turn the TV off, and say "That was nice." A show that makes you go "Hmmm...I wonder..." That's what Trek is all about. It's not supposed to be "Star Trek: Day's of Our Academy".

Trek has fallen astray of the high ideals set by Gene Roddenberry when he created the series. He portrayed a future where the humanity has made it to the 23rd century. And not only that, humanity had prospered. These days, I'm inclined to agree with McCoy from STIV: "It's a wonder these people ever got out of the 20th century." TNG followed Gene's ideals, of a bright future full of wonder, and amazing things. There were dark hours, but they weren't dark for very long. DS9, was a darker, more mature Trek. Especially in the last few seasons. But it didn't have the appeal TNG or TOS did. Why? Because it was dark, and dealt with things that most people would rather not see. A perfect example is "The Seige of AR-588". I thought it was a brilliant episode, that showed the true horror of war, set in the future. But that doesn't appeal to most of the people who did watch TOS, and TNG.

Then, there's VOY. A show that had great potential, but has never really lived up to it. The tension that should have been there between Starfleet and the Maquis for at least the first few seasons, never really materialized. Writers forgot that these were two opposite sides, and instead had them all jump together on the bandwagon. What's worse, is that they never get together and use their brains to figure things out. They get together, then use the 'mystical plot device' to find the good old 'particle of the week' and save the day/ship/whatever. Plus, they've been stranded out in the Delta/Beta Quadrant for 5 years, and the ship doesn't even have a scratch! The crew is always nicely dressed, well fed, and comfortable. I suppose that they've adopted the style of MST3K, and said: "For those of you who're wondering how they eat and breath, and other science facts,(Lalala!),then repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax". I wish I could, but when you don't even try to explain something that fundamental away, it reduces the quality of the show. Not once has there been reduced power, the crew doesn't get to eat, no showers, etc. The Voyager has been destroyed so many times, and yet each time it turns out to be alternate universe/temporal distortion/or some other nonsense. Get real. Fans aren't stupid. They want to see something other that the holodeck screwing up every 5th episode, and seeing a 'fake' Voyager getting destroyed once or twice a season. It gets old, really fast.

The quality of Trek has degraded over the past few years. Especially on VOY, which has been plagued with poor writing, and storylines so weak, my 12 year old sister could come up with something better. DS9 had a good writing staff, and came up with some excellent shows, that just didn't have the broad appeal that TNG and TOS have. Trek needs a break, and we need a break from it. Take a few years, and come up with something new and exciting. Something that challenges the mind, and the limits of society. Break some taboos, and boldy go again! Make it a show that Gene Roddenberry would be proud of. Not something that will only make money. Trek isn't about money, it's about people. It's time that Paramount realized that. Of course, that's only my opinion, I may be wrong.

------------------
"I see you have the ring. And that your Schwartz is as big as mine!
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: check out the Great Link. It's the first story on the scroll this week.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only raised the issue because of the lower audience ratings and the fact that even the fans are bashing Trek now. I think they should try and draw more interest into Voyager before it ends, then take the break with people wanting more. I with all honesty think the interest will remain even if it is a five year break, and I certainly know that I would keep interest for that long.

------------------
"Chocolate is a serious thing!"-Counselor Troi

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek isn't as popular these days because it's too popular. People start to hate whoever or whatever is on top. Trek becomes the leading SF show...people hate it. Microsoft becomes the biggest OS company, people hate it.

That, of course, leads weight to the idea of a break. You have to let Trek become a bit of an underdog again, so people will root for it. It's not exactly fair, but it is often true.

------------------
"And give me back my evil heart so I can see you as you are."
--
John Linnell

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trek Overdose? Perhaps. I read most of the books too, and would watch TOS or TNG if they were being shown in this area now. I've got it bad. Have had it bad since '66. It's a part of my system. maybe I have OD'ed. I admit, I didn't pick Star Wars apart like I did the last two Trek movies, and it had some glaring flaws as well. But I left the theater feeling good after TPM. Feeling bad after First Contact, and Insurrection.
I think what bothers me the most is the "We don't care what we said before, as long as it works for this story" attitude that TPTB have these days. Even the fan friendly Ron Moore has said something like that. Also the "The franchise is bigger then the shows and the fans, the franchise will go on" At least that's the feeling I get when I read interviews with Berman.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

scifi.com is reporting that "Star Trek: Flight Academy" is only a rumor. Berman and Braga are working on a new series, but it is not based around the academy.

There is also an interesting bit about Battlestar Galactica at this site.

http://www.scifi.com

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One reason TNG did so well when it started out was that it was pretty much the only SF show on at the time, and there was a lot of anticipation because it was the first trek series in a long, long time (just like the anticipation around Phantom Menace). But now there are lot's of SF shows on, and this with the two additional spinoffs divert attention away. People just get bored. I aggree a break would be good once Voyager stops production, a hiatus and some fresh ideas would be good for the franchise.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I just got a TV guide hot stories thing by E-mail. It says that Berman and Braga are working on a new Star Trek series called Star Trek: Flight Academy.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhh. . . then I suggest you subscribe to a different service.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the other day at IMDb that the Academy idea was a rumor. I think any faith anyone was putting in it can be dropped...

------------------
"Keep honking: I'm reloading."
-bumber sticker on a friend's truck

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

IMDb ?

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet Movie Database

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
RB: "'Get a life' is a phrase heard a lot, though I have never known exactly what kind was implied. Seems a lot of shallowness and greed is the rule."
CS: "I guess that it means the kind of life led by the characters of 'Dawson's Creek' or 'The Simpsons'."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I haven't read this thread fully, since I was egre to add my opinion.

1. I think there should be a large break before any new Trek TV series, the TV series Idea - for the moment had tarnished. I think Voyager had been getting better - I think Videos 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 have been better than DS9's 7.5, 7.6 and 7.7 - and from me that is saying a LOT - I am a HUGE DS9 fan - It was my first trek, i.e. it was Emissary that pulled me into all things trek seriously.

2. I think Rick Berman is quite batty, simply because over the years he says - I don't CARE what the fans want - WE watch the show Rick - we LIVE the show - a lot of us aren't watching Trek anymore - think about it.

------------------
"Ooh, FASA." - The Shadow, aka Frank G - June 1999

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be frank, Berman, Braga, and Behr did and do their jobs to their fullest potential. Piller and Taylor even have some input on Voyager as I type; very few people realise that.

Flight Academy is a rumour, as far as I'm concerned. It can't fly.

Oh, and since Braga was willing to turn down the ninth film in order to care for Voyager 100%, is it likely he'd spend three hours a day planning a new series with Berman? I don't know, to be honest...

A three-year break sounds good to me.

Voyager deserves as many seasons as DS9. It's a different style, but as good in its own way.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited July 11, 1999).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps